Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

QuadIX/Volumedrive downtime... again
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

QuadIX/Volumedrive downtime... again

Spirit532Spirit532 Member
edited December 2015 in Providers

Quite new to this forum, but as this has been discussed here before, I thought it's appropriate to post this here. Please move the post to a different category if this does not comply.

QuadIX/Volumedrive seems to be down again, this time quite seriously.
From what I can tell the entire datacenter has flopped, so it may not be the company's issue this time. Maybe a DoS attack?

Thanked by 2rokok hawc

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2015

Would I believe that volumedrive is down?

• Not surprising. I'd start looking for a new provider

• Spirit532Spirit532 Member
    edited December 2015

@mikeyur said:
    Not surprising. I'd start looking for a new provider

I really can't, especially since my entire "business"(non-commercial) is tied to the IP, and I can't buy it from them. I like their service, but I definetly do not like the lack of explanations behind the downtime.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Spirit532 said: tied to the IP

You can change DNS. If you're that tied to an IP, you need to change things fast for your own sake. Because when they go down for 12+ hours well.... you better make sure it's only you who will be upset about it ;)

• Spirit532Spirit532 Member
    edited December 2015

@jarland said:
    it's only you who will be upset about it ;)

I am tied to the IP address, I can change to where my domain name points.

I'll give it a few hours, maybe the issue will magically resolve itself, as that tends to happen with QuadIX.

• @Spirit532 said:
    since my entire "business"(non-commercial) is tied to the IP

Well, chalk this up as the first and last time you make that mistake. I'd keep things fluid and portable, you should never be tied to a single (especially shitty) provider.

• @Spirit532 said:
    Quite new to this forum, but as this has been discussed here before, I thought it's appropriate to post this here. Please move the post to a different category if this does not comply.

QuadIX/Volumedrive seems to be down again, this time quite seriously.
    From what I can tell the entire datacenter has flopped, so it may not be the company's issue this time. Maybe a DoS attack?

Hi Spirit, same guy from UC I guess?

• @mikeyur said:
    I'd keep things fluid and portable

It's not really possible when you're hosting game servers. Thankfully, this wasn't for a customer, this is personal, but I still do make a cent or two.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

Come on now quality usually cost more money in most cases. So you cant be mad for your mistake for choosing to host with them to save some pocket change

• vb543vb543 Member
    edited December 2015

From their Twitter. @quadixco

We are aware of a fiber outage issue. All team members have been dispatched and are working around the problem. We will have an ETA soon.

• They have power and network issues every day. This shouldn't come as a surprise.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited December 2015

@jarland said:
    You can change DNS. If you're that tied to an IP, you need to change things fast for your own sake. Because when they go down for 12+ hours well.... you better make sure it's only you who will be upset about it ;)

That is what being redundant is for (backup servers split on different networks in different locations) ;)

but this is volumedrive, you should expect downtime

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@0xdragon said:
    They have power and network issues every day. This shouldn't come as a surprise.

Maybe if they weren't spoofcity they wouldn't have so many network outages.

Francisco

• "tied to IP" sounds like a shady software requirement

@doughmanes said:
    "tied to IP" sounds like a shady software requirement

It sounds like it's a steam based game which would make sense. Favorites are stored by IP, not by a DNS entry, so if the majority of his users have no contact with the group (through a forum/website/chat) then yeah, he'd likely bleed the community dry with a move.

One option is to run 2 servers with the current one constantly spamming a message to chat that the server is moving to a new IP, but still.

Francisco

Thanked by 2MikePT GCat
  • He already said he is hosting his personal gameserver. Why do so many of you assume that people are always doing something unacceptable if it does not fit your way of thinking?

In all honesty, try to be more open minded about others.
    And please explain to me how using DNS will solve this issue and in which way he could have avoided the IP-bound service issue otherwise.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Shigawire said: hy do so many of you assume that people are always doing something unacceptable if it does not fit your way of thinking?

From experience. Binding software to an IP can be found in abusive instances.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • is there any alternative to quadix ?

@vpsguy said:
    is there any alternative to quadix ?

Versaweb is solid if the west coast is OK. It'll cost you a bit more but they're not incompetent.

Francisco

Thanked by 1GCat
  • @vpsguy said:

Plenty. Not for the same price point as they have stuff.

Depends on your main location... OVH, ReliableSite (If you can get a good deal they're amazing) LA? I'd go with @Jonchun with his GoMach5 brand... it's in Psyhz LA and he has a decent 20Gbps protection.

Just take a look about the forums and you'll probably find some alternatives quite quickly...

There's also a few others: Delimiter and Dacentec come to mind if you can do without protection.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • QuadIX has 250Gb SSD for $37.95 and it is a great deal with no alternative. But network, yeah, works not so good. BTW it's up and the downtime was approx 3 hours.

• @vpsguy said:

Where's @MarkTurner with the refugee offers?

Thanked by 2MarkTurner GCat
  • MarshalCheMarshalChe Member
    edited December 2015

@mikeyur said:

with cheap 250Gb+ SSD )

• @mikeyur said:

He already did this awhile back when they had about four separate downtimes.

• @IThinkUFailed said:
    He already did this awhile back when they had about four separate downtimes.

Yeah, here's the thread: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/66029/quadix-refugee-offer

Looks like it's still available to order

Thanked by 1vpsguy
  • letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

Not so much surprise after 12+ hours without no respond you just will get "" Hay sorry mate we have egg switch issue and has been fixed this shouldn't happened again"" after few days "" hay sorry it has been fixed now"

We do 20Gbps DDoS Mitigation with good network at Dallas and LA. We have few servers in stock.

• @mikeyur said:
    Looks like it's still available to order

Go ahead and order is my advice, anything is better than quadix.

• A lot of people came from QuadIX on that offer.

• @MarkTurner said:
    A lot of people came from QuadIX on that offer.

Can only imagine how many, perhaps you could be gracious enough to extend it to OP if he so wishes to switch...?