Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Request - Under €25
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server Request - Under €25

hawchawc Moderator, LIR
edited December 2015 in Requests

Hi all.

I have a Limited Edtion 4815 at Online.net right now.

https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-limited4815

I am not at all happy with them, having had my server locked, and seen many others had their servers locked too. This is because of claims of "Outbound Flood" from the box. These claims have also had no evidence supplied. Thus, please do not suggest them. They have been acting as "judge, jury and executioner", with the customer being given no time to explain.

Can anyone suggest an alternative around the same specifications? Ideally I would want the same level of network link that is un-metered. I would prefer somewhere in the EU, but East Coast of the USA would be acceptable.

Thanks

Harry

Thanked by 1GM2015

Comments

• I also have a Limited Edition server 1115 at Online.net. It will expire on the 1st of January because of same outrages claims about "outbound flood". That is even though my outbound AND inbound traffic for the past two month together was around 3-4GB. I am also emphatically recommend that no one use them.

• GCatGCat Member
    edited December 2015

hawc said: I am not at all happy with them, having had my server locked, and seen many others had their servers locked too. This is because of claims of "Outbound Flood" from the box.

I've pushed 30 TB out, and 21 TB in of mine and never once been locked.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I managed to get an apology for them doing this, but I am not the only person that has been affected by their mistakes. I do not feel confident hosting with them, as I have a feeling they will lock my box again.

• Depending wher you're from you could snap a i7 2600 with hetzner for around 29€

@Frecyboy said:
    Depending wher you're from you could snap a i7 2600 with hetzner for around 29€

UK here

• I believe I have the same box from them since Black Friday, plus a kidechire. I must be lucky, I haven't got locked or any notifications despite using 10TB/m on the 4815 and a few TB with curling on the KC.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • hawc said: UK here

So you need to add your country's vat to the usual prices.

https://servdiscount.com/en.html

https://robot.your-server.de/order/market/country/GB

Or of course Kimsufi or Delimiter in the US

• I was speaking with myloc, servdiscount.com owners about their order system. They admitted the English version is not yet ready and will be fixed on January

• Never buy Unmetered server! :)

• shayr said: I was speaking with myloc, servdiscount.com owners about their order system. They admitted the English version is not yet ready and will be fixed on January

Then there would be hetzner.

• @GCat said:
    I've pushed 30 TB out, and 21 TB in of mine and never once been locked.

Mate... I've had it twice this month - absolutely crazy that this craps occurring. Both times false reports. Yet the first time they told me "If the network says you did it, you did it."(Network Manager @ Online said this) he also told me it would be a "waste of his time" to investigate my issue after I had monitored the network for nearly 10 days after the first incident...

I cancelled on the spot. Moved to OVH, so it's fair to say I've had a busy month.

• @IThinkUFailed said:
    "If the network says you did it, you did it."(Network Manager @ Online said this)

I got this too, pretty sure the ticket is still open.

Thanked by 1IThinkUFailed
  • @IThinkUFailed said:
    I cancelled on the spot. Moved to OVH, so it's fair to say I've had a busy month.

You got unlucky.

I highly doubt that several people all having the same thing happen to them at around the same time is "unlucky"

• @wych said:
    I got this too, pretty sure the ticket is still open.

Thank you so much. This proves it's a widespread issue. That means about four people have been accused thus far.

I really appreciate your post as it's proved what the few of us have been trying to tell them.

@GCat said:
    You got unlucky.

I guess I did but I haven't even received an apology and was treated like shit. My server has been down for over 10 hours this month due to the server being locked.

Just be expecting a lock, that goes for anyone that uses them. I was the first to get locked, Shayr was two days later, then Shayr got locked about two more times... I'm actually lucky to of only got locked twice.

• @IThinkUFailed said:
    Just be expecting a lock, that goes for anyone that uses them. I was the first to get locked, Shayr was two days later, then Shayr got locked about two more times... I'm actually lucky to of only got locked twice.

To be honest I was waiting fo some good promo of them but now changed my mind. I really hate those providers who suspend for nothing then unsuspend.

• @WHT said:
    To be honest I was waiting fo some good promo of them but now changed my mind. I really hate those providers who suspend for nothing then unsuspend.

Yeah I'm sorry to burst your bubble on them. I thought they were an excellent provider until two weeks ago. Not to mention I've had the staff call me a wanker in french and such. Honestly... these guys are a joke and as soon as I can snag a good EU deal for this box for my friend then I will be gone from Online entirely.

If you find a good deal in the EU (e3-1220 2x2tb and 16GB ram is the only thing I have left) then please tell me about it and I'll consider it myself.

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited December 2015

to be honest the below is what I have from soyoustart with the exception it is 32gb ram not 16gb ram.
    EU ( Intel Xeon E3 1225v2 2x2tb and 16GB ram32gb ram.

• @timnboys said:
    EU ( Intel Xeon E3 1225v2 2x2tb and 16GB ram32gb ram.

Not really looking to pay much more than the 25 ish euros a month I pay.

The lowest spec SYS with VAT is about 40 euros for me.

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited December 2015

@IThinkUFailed said:
    The lowest spec SYS with VAT is about 40 euros for me.

really I am from the usa so I don't have to pay vat and only pay about maybe $35 euros per server(I currently have two of them)
    but I do have to factor in paypal's "conversion" fee though too depending on the exchange rate that day.

• @timnboys said:
    but I do have to factor in paypal's "conversion" fee though too depending on the exchange rate that day.

yeah it's pretty crappy in all respect. I would've moved straight to SoYouStart otherwise. That's also the cheapest one they offer too!

I'll keep an eye out though.

• I also have this Limited Edtion 4815 (as well as a Kidechire): my server never got locked.

• @wlambrechts said:
    I also have this Limited Edtion 4815 (as well as a Kidechire): my server never got locked.

It may never happen to you but it's essential you be prepared for it.

Thanked by 1wlambrechts
  • Did they lock your ftp storage as well? Or did/do you not use it during this period?

IThinkUFailed said: It may never happen to you but it's essential you be prepared for it.

• @GM2015 said:
    Did they lock your ftp storage as well? Or did/do you not use it during this period?

Unsure if this is locked aswell as I never had a need to use it. Sorry man.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @hawc said:
    Hi all.

I have a Limited Edtion 4815 at Online.net right now.

https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-limited4815

I am not at all happy with them, having had my server locked, and seen many others had their servers locked too. This is because of claims of "Outbound Flood" from the box. These claims have also had no evidence supplied. Thus, please do not suggest them. They have been acting as "judge, jury and executioner", with the customer being given no time to explain.

Can anyone suggest an alternative around the same specifications? Ideally I would want the same level of network link that is un-metered. I would prefer somewhere in the EU, but East Coast of the USA would be acceptable.

Thanks

Harry

Hello,

If you still need one I might be able to get you something :D

@ChairHosting said:
    If you still need one I might be able to get you something :D

Go on then - make me an offer please. I've spent the last couple of days looking at Hetzer/ServDiscount/Delimiter. I have until the 1st of February to decide thanks to Online's cancellation rules.

• bene_onlinebene_online Member
    edited December 2015

Hello,

There was a large DDoS attack last weekend: http://www.dailydot.com/politics/turkey-ddos-attack-tk-universities/

Our system actively observes any unusual activity in our network and blocks automatically a server if it detects an outgoing DDoS attack from a customers server, to protect the customer and all our other customers.

We never block a server without any reason.
    If a server gets blocked you can always request to have in unlocked in rescue mode so you can check it for the most common intrusion points:

• Unfiltered NTP

• recursive DNS configuration

• Software with security flaws (outdated Joomla, WordPress, etc.)

• Check the logs (Intrusion, others ...)

• @bene_online said:
    Hello,
    We never block a server without any reason.
    If a server gets blocked you can always request to have in unlocked in rescue mode so you can check it for the most common intrusion points:

@bene_online - I have nothing but respect for you and the staff members at Online, other than Mikmak, but this is stupid and too little too late. I would still be with you guys if it weren't for how this was handled when I was affected. Same goes for other people.

Mikmak told me that "If the network says you attacked it, you did it" and that it couldn't be a false report and that looking up my IP's netflow would be a waste of his time. I'm sorry but I don't want to be with a company who considers investigating possible network related issues as a waste of time.

If you can send me a notification when Mikmak is fired and somebody more competent comes along I might give Online another shot.

Until then I will be looking out for a suitable alternative for my final server with you guys.

So back to the topic - If anyone has any suggestions around the 25 euro mark I am also interested in hearing it as that's about what I am paying for my dedibox 1115.

• Is OP running anything more than openssh?
    WordPress or any PHP based public apps perhaps ?

It sounds really bad if it is a provably secure box.

This discussion has been closed.