Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Geolocated IPs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Geolocated IPs

So I saw OVH's ASN on bgp.he.net and some IP ranges come with US flag, more are Canadian flag.

I ordered some additional IPs and chose US for geolocation, but they are still in 158.69.x.x range, whose flag is Canadian flag.

Then I ordered 1 Canadian IP and got 158.69.x.x as well.

Has anyone tried OVH geolocated IPs in Europe? Which range is your "geolocated" IP in?

Comments

• Did you check MaxMind for geolocation?

• XIAOSpider97XIAOSpider97 Member
    edited December 2015

@PetaByet said:
    Did you check MaxMind for geolocation?

Actually I work for ipip.net, a company providing IP PHYSICAL location database...

Yes I checked and seems that whole 158.69.x.x range is geolocated as "US" in Maxmind's DB.

But then the problem still exist, while I ordered total 2 US IPs and 1 Canadian IP. All of three are in 158.69.x.x range and geolocated as "US" according to Maxmind.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I have some UK IP addresses and depending on what service I use, they are UK, or they are French.

• what is the price of an additional ip with ovh? 2 euros/m or 2 euros one time?

• @Geekoine said:
    what is the price of an additional ip with ovh? 2 euros/m or 2 euros one time?

I am on OVH US site. $3 one time even for OVH VPS and Public Cloud.

Thanked by 1Geekoine
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Did your math take in the fact that OVH has never, ever, honored their IP contracts for end users?

Francisco

• GeekoineGeekoine Member
    edited December 2015

@Francisco said:

what are you referring to? (I don't know anything about it, but I'm curious, because I'm planning to buy some ovh IPs)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Geekoine said:
    what are you referring to? (I don't know anything about it, but I'm curious, because I'm planning to buy some ovh IPs)

OVH has changed contracts multiple times on their IP addresses.

A few years back they used to do the one-off payments like they do now. Once RIPE 'went dry', they changed everyone to monthly per IP address, and it was more than a EUR per IP address. This caused a lot of LE hosts that were there to pull out or close shop because their whole business was based there.

They've returned to the one time $3 per address setup, but unless they plan to keep trying to find large open blocks they're bound to reneg on this pricing and go back to monthly costs.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Geekoine GM2015