Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Competition time
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Competition time

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
edited January 2013 in General

For a bit of fun and to get some of the LEB spirit back I thought I would throw out a creative competition.

What is on offer to the winner.

3 x VPS to work with
All 128MB
All 5GB Disk
All 1 x IP4
All in different DC's (UK/NL/USA)

What is required.

Your creative ideas on what they can be used for, anything goes as long as it meets the following criteria.

1) Must be scalable
2) Must be open source
3) Must either provide the wider community with a service or made easily deployable by others
4) All 3 servers must interact in some way that is part of the underlying idea

You don't need to go in to great detail on your idea, you just need to be able to have a good go at it. if you yourself are not able to deliver the idea but think you have a great one, then put it up anyway, someone that is capable might take it up and share the credit/prize with you.

Re inventing the wheel is not always a bad thing, but direct copies of other things will not be considered unless they have real added value or your version replicates a current commercial closed source idea.

I would also invite other providers to take part by also donating small VPS's to the competition.

The winner will be either the best idea by the 10th Jan, or the first one that is obviously an excellent idea, I will be the judge along with any other hosts that want to give a little LEB spirit back to the community.

The winner will have 14 days to deliver with updates in the thread at least every 3 days, they will then either get to keep the servers or choose 1 location for a 256MB VPS with 15GB disk free for 1 year. (Split in 2 if you have the idea and someone else delivers it)

Look forward to your ideas, anything considered no matter how small.

Anthony.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@twain curtisg has been getting some grief lately and its a shame, I know a few obvious booboo's in code have been made but at least he is thinking creatively :)

• Maybe a Diaspora HA/load-balanced "pod" aimed at the LEB/LET community?

• Will post in morning just on iPhone atm

• @AnthonySmith, I actually don't disagree. Seems that a good amount of effort is definitely put in on his part.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited January 2013

KVM? VZ?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I think it goes without saying this is gonna be Xen :)

Thanks Anthony :) Nice idea !

• Demonstration of how to build a scalable, HA/load-balancing webserver cluster with HAProxy

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'll add...
    1 CPU Core
    128MB RAM
    128MB vSwap
    5GB Storage
    100GB BW
    1 IPv4
    OpenVZ - Dallas, TX

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I'll throw one in too...
    1 CPU Core
    256MB RAM
    256MB vSwap
    20GB Disk
    1TB Bandwidth
    1 IPv4 Address
    OpenVZ
    North America

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Idea:
    Backupservice (sparkleshare? or similar) on one vps connected to a tahoe-lafs backend created by the rest of the vps.
    Someone up for picking up the idea?

• If only we knew what to do with this... Then the problem of 90% of LEBs being idle would be solved

@Topic: I have often thought about this and some kind of internet monitoring system may be interesting. Having many LEBs in different locations tracert/ping/etc each other and test IPs of other DCs and then collecting all the data in a centralized database. It could be used to detect route changes, network problems and so on.

• Idea: Ultimate Management and Monitor system.

Will include:
    1) Billing Software
    2) VPS Management Control Panel
    3) Uptime-monitor script

Powered by: CodeIgniter Framework
    Will be: Open Source

Won't go into too much detail here.

• @curtisg said: 1) Billing Software

2) VPS Management Control Panel
    3) Uptime-monitor script

I have a feeling that that will take a bit longer that a few days to make... That sounds more like a year long project with multiple people.

• curtisgcurtisg Banned
    edited January 2013

@alterarch said: I have a feeling that that will take a bit longer that a few days to make... That sounds more like a year long project with multiple people.

Well it'll be written in codeigniter which will be easier then manually writing it.
    Also, I already have 2/3 those 3 things done/almost fully done.

Some good ideas so far, @jcaleb you should post the one you PM'ed its a good one.

@jarland thanks nice one.
    @shovenose I think you may have missed the point a bit with the spec and North America is a big place.

So far we have for you to work with

4 x 128MB LEB's
    NL, UK, Phoenix AZ, Dallas TX.

I like all the ideas so far, I think you might be reaching a little bit though @curtisg

• jhjh Member

@curtisg said: Well it'll be written in codeigniter which will be easier then manually writing it.

Good luck :) I've been writing Billr for months and it's nowhere near where I need it to be yet.

• @curtisg said: Well it'll be written in codeigniter which will be easier then manually writing it.

Also, I already have 2/3 those 3 things done/almost fully done.

If you think you can do it, I think yours should be the one to get the 'project'. I once wrote a billing system in PHP (no framework though) and it took a lot longer than expected. Good luck anyway!

• @jhadley said: Good luck :) I've been writing Billr for months and it's nowhere near where I need it to be yet.

You manually doing it or doing it in codeigniter?

I don't think I'll deploy the software yet till I get a few bugs out of the way, but I'm using CI form helper there and form validation to clean the data(for login/register) and then using some other CI functions to clean GET variables.

I also have to add a few things to it, fix a little XSS issue I just noticed.

• @curtisg said: I don't think I'll deploy the software yet till I get a few bugs out of the way, but I'm using CI form helper there and form validation to clean the data(for login/register) and then using some other CI functions to clean GET variables.

I also have to add a few things to it, fix a little XSS issue I just noticed.

Which is the theme you are using for that system? Codeigniter is awesome. I used it a couple of times back when I did PHP development. It has a lot of good inbuilt code for handling sessions and databases. Do you have a git repo for this billing system?

• @alterarch said: Which is the theme you are using for that system? Codeigniter is awesome. I used it a couple of times back when I did PHP development. It has a lot of good inbuilt code for handling sessions and databases.

It's a premium themeforest theme.

@alterarch said: Do you have a git repo for this billing system?

No, I didn't have time to create one yet. I spent 9 hours solid without break programming the software yesterday.

• @curtisg said: No, I didn't have time to create one yet. I spent 9 hours solid without break programming the software yesterday.

Haha ok :). Let me know once you upload one, I wouldn't mind having a look through the code.

• @curtisg I am not sure if you will be allowed to post this theme as part of an open source project?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@alterarch said: I am not sure if you will be allowed to post this theme as part of an open source project?

Have to use the $750 license as opposed to the $15 one.

Regular:

You may use the Work in a work which you are creating for your own purposes or for your client who has asked you to create it.

Extended:

You may incorporate the Work in a work which is created for Resale by you or your client (provided that (i) only the complete work is offered for sale, (ii) where technically possible, you must ensure the Work cannot be extracted as a stand-alone item from the second work, and (ii) the terms of sale prohibit the buyer extracting or re-using the Work as a stand-alone item).

It might be a good idea if people really tool 10 seconds to think about ideas before posting them :)

I was expecting some ideas from @Raymii @Freek and maybe @joepie91

• alterarchalterarch Member
    edited January 2013

@jarland said: Have to use the $750 license as opposed to the $15 one.

Yep, you are right. If he used CodeIgniter's route system, it should be easy to switch themes. I would recommend something like Bootstrap since it is OpenSource, has all the UI components and is very easily customisable.

• @alterarch said: Yep, you are right. If you used CodeIgniter's route system, it should be easy to switch themes. I would recommend something like Bootstrap since it is OpenSource, has all the UI components and is very easily customisable.

Yes, I plan to change it, I just have it like that because I didn't feel like downloading bootstrap and I already had that theme on my desktop.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@curtisg - are you using the $15 regular or $750 extended license from ThemeForest?

• @dominicl said: are you using the $15 regular or $750 extended license from ThemeForest?

$15, as I said I don't plan on giving away the theme.