Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frantech/Buyvm down?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Frantech/Buyvm down?

MonsteRMonsteR Member
edited January 2013 in General

Does anyone know why there site is down, Also so is my VPS with them.
There isn't any planed maintenance im aware of either, Up until now my vps with them has been great.

Pinging buyvm.net [209.141.39.3] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 209.141.39.3:
Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 0, Lost = 3 (100% loss),

Screenshot of Just-ping
http://gyazo.com/416925e9b8ec965c774354bb0d04fa1a

Comments

• jhjh Member

Up for me

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Up here

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Was down for a second, but up here now.

• Yeah appears to just be a couple of minutes downtime, Wonder why? No planed maintenance or anything.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MonsteR said: Yeah appears to just be a couple of minutes downtime, Wonder why? No planed maintenance or anything.

One of my monitors didn't get started up after the awknet maintenance I did the other day and a flood passed from awk onto SJ. I had to get on the KVM to fix that up.

I'll look into why my cron didn't restart the monitor.

Sorry about that!

Francisco

• Both @Francisco and @RamNode's VPS manager were inaccessible for sometime
    Now they are back

• @Francisco said: One of my monitors didn't get started up after the awknet maintenance I did the other day and a flood passed from awk onto SJ. I had to get on the KVM to fix that up.

I'll look into why my cron didn't restart the monitor.

Sorry about that!

Francisco

Ah ok thanks, Its no problem really was just wondering, as I haven't ever seen any blips from Frantech before, Keep up with the HQ service.

@Asim said: Both @Francisco and @RamNode's VPS manager were inaccessible for sometime

Now they are back

RamNode has their manager on us.

As I said, this is the first drop on our filtered range in a good 1 - 2 months now. I'm not entirely sure why our monitor didn't catch it but I'm already going over it and lowering some of the thresholds incase that's the cause.

Great thing about the new awk box we installed a few months ago is the IPMI.

Francisco

• Oh, I didn't knew the VPSCP of @RamNode is on you.

Anyway, I cannot load VPSCP or your website again.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

working for me

@Asim said: Oh, I didn't knew the VPSCP of @RamNode is on you.

Anyway, I cannot load VPSCP or your website again.

Nick gets targetted a lot so he just uses our filtering to make his life easier.

I was able to build some ACL's to put on awk's end to deal with what was coming in.

The flood went past 1M pps so I had to apply a nullroute for few minutes while I got that all built out.

Francisco

@Francisco said: Nick gets targetted a lot

Sometimes I'm glad I resisted the urge to do Minecraft ;)

@jarland said: Sometimes I'm glad I resisted the urge to do Minecraft ;)

Well ... It's becoming more and more common for public facing services (VPS panels, primary websites, test IP's, etc) to get smacked. I used to think it was just kids being kids but given how many UK hosts have been rudely removed from that market due to ddos, i'm starting to think it's competitors more and more.

Francisco

edited January 2013

@Francisco said: i'm starting to think it's competitors more and more.

Sad. I mean it's an unfortunately effective strategy. I've had attempted brute force a lot today from someone who appears at first glance to be a nonexistent (or not yet) VPS provider. Heck, I send people to my "competition." Do unto others, you know ;)

• It is competitors, just have to find out who these mystery people are...

@Francisco said: UK hosts have been rudely removed from that market due to ddos, i'm starting to think it's competitors more and more

• You guys moved SJ stuff to Las Vegas yet?

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Hmm NodePing didn't tell me my CP was down :/

But it looks fine now. Not sure what I'm going to do for the LV move downtime though.

@jarland - my RamNode CP started getting hit without regard to my MC stuff. Not too long ago someone went to great lengths to target very specific IPs related to RamNode, all simultaneously, and all with a large magnitude. Cheapest, quickest fix for the CP was BuyVM. Heck, I'd write Fran a nice review if it wouldn't look so weird coming from me :)

@Nick_A said: But it looks fine now. Not sure what I'm going to do for the LV move downtime though.

I already told you :P

I'll setup either an NGINX reverse proxy for you w/ SSL (i'll need you to give me your SSL certs or i'll generate one for temp) or I can GRE from awk to you.

The NGINX is easier for me but I'm willing to work with whatever helps you.

@serverbear said: You guys moved SJ stuff to Las Vegas yet?

Not till the 19th good sir.

Francisco

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Sweet - I'll IRC you later

• BuyVM seems good for the filtering but I experienced horrible performance with my VPS.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@winston said: BuyVM seems good for the filtering but I experienced horrible performance with my VPS.

You should open a ticket, that's not like them. As far as I have heard and seen, their VPS are performing great. I, myself use 2 VPS with them for production use (main websites) and they work great.

@winston said: BuyVM seems good for the filtering but I experienced horrible performance with my VPS.

Just ticket and let us know :)

It should be known by now that if your VPS isn't acting up to snuff to for sure let us know and we'll figure out what's out.

Francisco

• Wished BuyVM offered some sort of basic shared hosting... I don't have time to setup a VM when my other servers go haywire.

• KrisKris Member
    edited January 2013

@flam316 said: Wished BuyVM offered some sort of basic shared hosting... I don't have time to setup a VM when my other servers go haywire.

That's why I hoard an extra or two of them, and worse case, upgrade if I need to put sites on it. Other than being idle & on standby, they don't do much.

Saved my arse when my production dedicated started having kernel panics one night, already had my backups in Buffalo. Moved all sites to my spare Buffalo VPS node in 3 minutes over LAN, upgraded it to the 2GB package, all sites back online in 15 minutes (1 minute TTLs)

Just my idea / methodology.

• @winston I've been with BuyVM for four months now I think, never had a problem with them. As already said, just ticket them, their response time is awesome too.

• @winston,

What's the problem with your VPS? Is this VPS in San Jose and is the performance purely network related?