Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

geolocated query
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

geolocated query

is it possible achieve such configuration with DNS where the DNS server will select the server based on the clients geo location ?

e.g say a visitor from europe visits a website xyz.com and the DNS server selects server 1.1.1.1 which is based in Europe
and when a visitor from us visits it loads from 2.2.2.2 which is based in us?

Comments

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

I'm sure you need an Anycast DNS with geo location support*

Some providers call it GeoDNS**. Amazon may be able to provide this.

You could also try dediserve DNS, but I have never used it before...
    https://manage.dediserve.com/knowledgebase/article/225/do-you-provide-dns-/

@gbshouse - My apologies. I should of been more specific. Services that employ Anycasting could also have geo location support, but not necessary all. It is true that they are two different features.

• @deployvm said:
    I'm sure you need an Anycast DNS.

Some providers call it GeoDNS. Amazon may be able to provide this.

say I have multiple any cast DNS server setupped with different 'A' record at each or more than one 'A' record each. so what will happen basically ?

@RockBeltHOST said:
    say I have multiple any cast DNS server setupped with different 'A' record at each or more than one 'A' record each. so what will happen basically ?

If the DNS service is able to determine the origin (country) of the IP address it is serving, then it should route it to the closest destination.

As the topology you have said:

You have 2 A records.
    1. Australia PoP
    2. UK PoP

Example: There is a visitor from Singapore. The DNS should determine that the visitor is from Singapore and then respond to the DNS A record query with the IP of your AU PoP.

I remember this thread:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1016232/

Dediserve was testing out this feature!

• @deployvm said:
    I remember this thread:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1016232/

Dediserve was testing out this feature!

seems they use dnsmadeeasy ?

can this be achieved by cpanel DNS only too ?

• gdnsd

Thanked by 2Caster Zappie
  • Rage4 offered this a while ago, not used it for ~12months.

Thanked by 1Caster
  • wych said: Rage4 offered this a while ago, not used it for ~12months.

Still supported, is one of the core features iirc.

Thanked by 1Caster
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited December 2015

wych said: Rage4 offered this a while ago, not used it for ~12months.

I am currently using RAGE4 anycast DNS with geo-location and gdnsd geo-location on different domains. RAGE4 is a fast and simple way to go that works as it should. (Based on the two anycast services I have used in the last year, anycast works mostly as you would think, but not as exactly.)

I also use gdnsd and six to eight dns server locations. Once again geo-location is not an exact, works 100% of the time, science.

I'll add some graphs in a moment.

EDIT:
    The following graph shows rage4 dns with geo-location to nginx servers in Paris, Toronto, Atlanta, Dallas, and Los Angeles. .

The following graph shows non anycast gdnsd dns servers in Seattle, Los Angeles, Dallas, Atlanta, Toronto, Montreal, Paris, and Italy, Geo-locating requests to the same nginx servers in Paris, Toronto, Atlanta, Dallas, and Los Angeles.

The monitor locations are Seattle, Dallas, Montreal, and Paris.

EDIT2: cleaned it up a bit.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

We (still) offer it. @deployvm - Anycast DNS and GeoDNS are two different things.