Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 thing i really hate about paypals popularity
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1 thing i really hate about paypals popularity

hellohello Member
edited December 2015 in General

So, i as a seller of products over the internet, used to love paypal

But now that my paypal got limited.
Ive noticed how sales have dropped

I think ive missed out on like 5+ sales due to not accepting paypal payment anymore
I can now only accept btc

I realllly don't want to use paypal, but on the other hand alot of my potential customers do
And alot of them don't even know what bitcoin is, or how to make a wallet.

What is your opinion on paypal? And don't come in here with that ''I followed there t.o.s" alot of people do
But they still get limited.

Comments

• Nic_20TBSSDNic_20TBSSD Member
    edited December 2015

Well I only use btc and stripe for my checkout, everywhere I go I use my credit card because I'm serious about buying what I need. Paypal never crosses my mind so many stipulations for new sellers and even buyers its more of a hassle to sign up and effectively use the account that just to pay with credit/debit card. Paypal holds more of your information that your personal bank does and still you have to babysit them for your funds and constantly pass verifications only to have your account limited again sooner or later. I've had capital one for 8 years only verified myself when I opened my account why waste time doing it every 2-3 months with paypal.

Id say use BTC or stripe, although they have some hassles also such as BTC you have to sell the BTC for another form of payment in order to get it to your bank or you'd end up having to use BTC to paypal which is still bad because paypal is in the picture.

Then with stripe if someone charges you back $2 you have to pay like $35 for the chargeback and then appeal it, in the meantime you lose $35 until you hear something from the appeal which could take up to 90 days if im correct.

The best bet is BTC in all honesty if customers don't want to pay in BTC then simply take the loss. I'd rather be secure than take a loss anyday.

Addon - I used paypal for 4 years selling used car parts on ebay. I told a transmission for $3k+ or so and the person I sold it too waited about 3 weeks after he received it and filed a chargeback saying he did not get the transmission, I provided the tracking infromation to paypal and everything turns out guy called his bank and said it was unauthorized 2 days later I get an email saying my paypal account was closed because of the liability since then I have never touched paypal not to mention I used the 3k to buy other used parts and ended up having to pay paypal back about $900 to close my account in good standings.

Thanked by 1tomsfarm
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

As a seller, Paypal is awesome. As a buyer, I only use Paypal unless I'm forced not to (i.e. Amazon).

• Nic_20TBSSD said: Paypal holds more of your information that your personal bank does

Paypal does not have your SSN....

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Nic_20TBSSDNic_20TBSSD Member
    edited December 2015

@William said:

If you have a business account EIN or social whichever you put eventually if you have nothing in that slot there going to limit your account from my knowlege but I have not used them in years.

Edit: EIN = Number for IRS to use on taxes in USA.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@William said:

It does if you want a Business account in the US and aren't smart enough to get a Tax ID (they require either a Tax ID or SSN to report to the IRS).

• Personally I like having Paypal. I like having my card details on one site I'm sure is dedicated to customer security (see note) than have my card details on EVERY shopping card on the web.

Note: dedicated to customer security means it's actually their job to do everything in their power to avoid getting hacked/leaking customer info when compared to your traditional shopping cart setup. I don't mean that they're invincible to it, I just mean it's less likely for bad stuff to happen to them compared to everyone else.

Thanked by 1Nic_20TBSSD
  • @Nic_20TBSSD said:

dont let a-holes like that get away with it. i guarantee you that the s@@thead does this regularly.

• @hello said:
    So, i as a seller of products over the internet, used to love paypal

But now that my paypal got limited.
    Ive noticed how sales have dropped

I think ive missed out on like 5+ sales due to not accepting paypal payment anymore
    I can now only accept btc

I realllly don't want to use paypal, but on the other hand alot of my potential customers do
    And alot of them don't even know what bitcoin is, or how to make a wallet.

What is your opinion on paypal? And don't come in here with that ''I followed there t.o.s" alot of people do
    But they still get limited.

Maybe if you sold legal items and used legitimate information that wouldn't happen, instead you're a fraudster.

So shut up, I'm glad PayPal limited you, one less idiot on PayPal.

Thanked by 2AndreiGhesi netomx
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited December 2015

Sure it would be nice to have an alternative, one that does not require you to scan every piece of paper you own and limits which countries can have accounts. Bitcoin is already a very good candidate, you don't need to hand over any identifying information to whoever you are paying, and anyone who has internet access can create a wallet.

Until more customers start using alternate payment methods it's not going to happen unless customers are aware that a better alternative exists. If every bank in Europe included a bitcoin wallet/exchange service with online banking that would be amazing, but until then people want to be able to enter a username/password, or their card details and have something shipped out without having to worry about fraud or refunds from a fraudulent seller.

The main gripe I have about paypal is the countries they limit that can have accounts, I have a friend who lives in Iraq who runs a graphics design company to support his family, and him getting client payments is absolute hell. He's able to easily exchange BTC for cash without having to jump through too many loopholes, so it can only get better once more people adopt Bitcoin.

• definitelyliam said: Personally I like having Paypal. I like having my card details on one site I'm sure is dedicated to customer security (see note) than have my card details on EVERY shopping card on the web.

Sometimes I trust Paypal more then my own damn bank. Paypal reimbursed me once and reversed a bunch of bank to paypal transfers when I had my account hacked years ago and it was a hell of a lot easier dealing with Paypal then my bank.

I've only had a handful of issues with Paypal during all the years I've been using them and every time I have called them they have sorted everything out...it's great being able to use my Paypal account to pay for things instead of putting my credit or debit card out all over the replace.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jhjh Member

The problem is not that you don't have Paypal, it's that you only have BTC. Add a credit card gateway and your serious buyers will still buy.

I try to avoid Paypal as a seller due to the fees and as a buyer because it's harder to dispute a transaction made via Paypal (in my case).

Thanked by 1GCat
  • why does no-one buy my products when i only accept internet funnymoney that isn't even spent by it's proponents?

Thanked by 1jh
  • @GCat said:
    So shut up, I'm glad PayPal limited you, one less idiot on PayPal.

Fuck off? Im responding to you because the other people had actual good respectful answers

My paypal was 100% legit, all real info, all my stuff
    So do me a favor. FUCK OFF

• LeeLee Veteran

hello said: My paypal was 100% legit, all real info, all my stuff So do me a favor. FUCK OFF

So why did they limit it, it's not hard to find out why. There are of course genuine reasons why people are incorrectly limited however I always favour the side of Paypal on a site like this until shown otherwise.

• @hello said:

So do me a favor. FUCK OFF

100 legit? Oh okay, that's why they limited it, right? That's why on other threads you admit to fraud? Pardon me not believing you.

So do me a favour, and stop complaining here because you're afraid to pick up a phone, and ask PayPal why.

• Paypal is awesome. if you hate paypal because your account got limited there must be a cause & explanation why your paypal got limited. my paypal was limited once when i use virtual credit card instead of real credit card. so paypal ask me my real ID and CC Statement. its easy to fix just call paypal customer service and you're done

• I dislike PayPal. I'm not limited, I just dislike the company for reasons I cannot be bothered to get into.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

I don't think that PayPal is the issue but rather the fact that the only other payment you take is bitcoin. Not a lot of people have bitcoin or the patience to set up a wallet so yeah that is more likely the issue.

• ManofServerManofServer Member
    edited December 2015

@hello I'm happy to see you posting again. Welcome to the PayPal Limited Club btw!

For future reference, never use your personal account to sell. Always go with 3rd party merchant accounts such as 2Checkout or FastSpring that provide excellent middleman protection.

If anyone is interested, I wasn't banned from PayPal for selling anything, but I had an underage account which I opened while I was 14 years old (not allowed, at least not back then). But goes to show what an entrepreneurial spirit I had, until they squashed it into a million tiny pieces and puked all over it into oblivion.

I have sent numerous requests for reconsideration but they never changed their mind. I despise them. I'm guessing until this point I have lost at least 30-40k from users that would want to pay with PayPal but couldn't.

• @ManofServer said:
    hello I'm happy to see you posting again. Welcome to the PayPal Limited Club btw!

For future reference, never use your personal account to sell. Always go with 3rd party merchant accounts such as 2Checkout or FastSpring that provide excellent middleman protection.

If anyone is interested, I wasn't banned from PayPal for selling anything, but I had an underage account which I opened while I was 14 years old (not allowed, at least not back then). But goes to show what an entrepreneurial spirit I had, until they squashed it into a million tiny pieces and puked all over it into oblivion.

I have sent numerous requests for reconsideration but they never changed their mind. I despise them. I'm guessing until this point I have lost at least 30-40k from users that would want to pay with PayPal but couldn't.

Have you contacted paypal on the phone? as that is usually the best way to get things resolved is talking to them on the phone.

• PayPal is alright. It use to be very risky. You should always have backup options ready for payments (other payment companies).