Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[HELP] (Dell R610) Auto shutdown after entering the OS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[HELP] (Dell R610) Auto shutdown after entering the OS

lifehomelifehome Member
edited December 2015 in Help

So I got myself an unused Dell PowerEdge R610 at a random corner store, with 32GB Ram, 2x 120GB SSD, and a 775W PSU.

After plugging in the power cord, setup the BIOS, iDRAC-6, RAID 1, I installed CentOS 7 on the RAID-ed array. It was all good until I stopped doing things to the console(or logged out the current session), it went dark automatically. Dead. No fans running, no sound from it, like a dread dead fish lying on my floor. (Haven't got time to make a rack =[

I first thought it was because of a failing PSU, I replaced it with the one I borrowed from my friend, same happened again. I also tested it with installing Windows, no luck with that too.

I was hoping someone would know why this is happening, and possibly with a solution to this... Quite desperate right now. D:

Comments

• Can you get into the Unified Server Configurator?

If so run a hardware diagnostic and use its platform update tools to update the servers firmware/BIOS etc...

• Definitely use USC and run the internal hardware diagnostic, that finds most of the common problems.

• Msg: IPMI - Storage Drive0 Drive Fault.
    Msg: IPMI - Storage Drive1 Drive Fault.

These two error has been found after the diagnostic, but no idea how to get rid of it. I was suggested by my friend to replace from one SSD to two SSD for RAID 1, but no luck get rid of this message, it grows as I add and initialize new arrays of RAID.

And as for @rmlhhd mentions, no luck after upgrading BIOS/firmwares...

• @lifehome said:
    These two error has been found after the diagnostic, but no idea how to get rid of it. I was suggested by my friend to replace from one SSD to two SSD for RAID 1, but no luck get rid of this message, it grows as I add and initialize new arrays of RAID.

Controller issues maybe?

• Maybe a RAID controller issue?

If possible could you remove the RAID Controller and install the OS to a drive connected directly to a SATA port on the motherboard?

The issue with the above will be power, the Dell Servers I've been using don't have SATA power connectors as everything is done via drive bays.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

The R610s have an internal USB port above the optical drive. Try installing any version of linux onto a USB drive and plug the drive into that slot then boot to that OS. If you still have issues after that, check the OS Watchdog settings inside the BIOS (I also recommend defaulting the BIOS if you haven't already since it's a second hand server).

If the problems don't continue after that, replace the H700.

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

Try this routine.

1. Clear ESM log
      http://www.dell.com/Support/Article/us/en/04/SLN132517

2. Flash CPU firmware to the latest version

3. iDRAC (if you have) - Do a factory reset

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • KuJoe said: check the OS Watchdog settings inside the

+1 was going to say this

• @rmlhhd, not yet tried, haven't sort out the power cord thing.

@ExpertVM, cleared the log, no luck. Dunno any "CPU firmware" available, but updated iDRAC and RAID card firmware.

Also I have checked the BIOS, the thing popped out is "OS Watchdog Timer", should I enable it or as-is disabled by default?

• lifehome said: the thing popped out is "OS Watchdog Timer", should I enable it or as-is disabled by default?

Disabled, because else you need a watchdog script inside the OS to prevent the server from automatically rebooting.

• @William said:
    Disabled, because else you need a watchdog script inside the OS to prevent the server from automatically rebooting.

Thanks everyone! It is confirmed that the "OS Watchdog Timer" triggers the shutdown dead-trigger. I now disabled it and everything works like a charm.

• It should actually reboot however, not shutdown.

I would still reflash the BIOS, just in case.

However, do NEVER upgrade the IPMI/DRAC - Especially the TYAN boards do NOT like this at all.