Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you use WHM Superb if it had a Netflix proxy?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
edited December 2015 in General

If you could sell users netflix dns proxy services, would you use WHM Superb? I should mention that the netflix proxy would be a cPanel DNS only installation so the main cpanel server doesn't get overloaded.
Feel free to let me know what else you might want in the comments. I already got a suggestion for owncloud.

1. Would you use WHM Superb if it had a Netflix proxy?34 votes
    1. Yes
      44.12%
    2. No
      55.88%

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Swiss army knife of cPanel addons? ;)

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Yes Sir @jarland :)
    Thinking this would help providers make an extra buck or two on their added services. Of course, thats as long as Netflix doesnt crack down on proxies which would be a huge bummer.
    Imagine a user just has to click 'Enable Netflix' and put the DNS ip on their device and presto... Netflix in the US!

• Would this be legal?

Thanked by 1risharde

Good question, as far as I can tell it would be borderline subject to correction, each user will still have to use their own Netflix username and password. Alot of people use Netflix proxies and its the basis for many proxy services out there

• It's not illegal.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • Now you're going a bit too far :p Why not create a topic with the question "What do you miss in cPanel?"

Thanked by 1risharde

I want it to do my taxes and can you make it where it'll automatically submit grubhub orders for me at certain intervals?

edited December 2015

Lol it is going to be a give or take ... some people will want things others dont. The good thing is that all features except Apps Installer are disabled by default so admins have to enable what they want. Let's see how the polls go and maybe a little later on I will ask another question. I get the feeling some of the LETers are getting fed up of me asking and posting about the product. My intent is not to upset the crowd. I hope you guys know that :)

Thanks to all the voters and the entire LET community

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

risharde said: borderline subject to correction

I just loved that.

Thanked by 1risharde

@Raindog308 lol was that sarcasm?!

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

I think that would be actively aiding or even likely encouraging breaking the law, so yes, illegal.

Thanked by 1risharde
    edited December 2015

@Cloudiver I appreciate your opinion on this. I am however really wondering how this feature would be so much different from all the other services out there that are VPN related or proxy related for this purpose. If a provider doesn't want to enable the feature, they don't have to enable it and it would be disabled by default. It's absolutely optional. This is quite a tough one when it comes to law and morals I must admit.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

When it comes to the law it's quite simple. You know that breaching copyright is illegal. Why would you aid it ?

In regards to the other offers, the fact that others break the law doesn't legitimise you when doing the same.

On the other note, I don't normally use any addons with cPanel/WHM due to security. When an addon is involved in something shady, it would put me off even more.

Thanked by 1risharde
    edited December 2015

I don't think the issue is breaching copyright but I understand what you are implying legally. The use of a vpn or proxy is a technicality particularly if used outside of U.S from what I am researching - after all the data is passing through a legit U.S server in most cases keeping in mind the context of U.S jurisdiction (and I suppose being a pain in the butt about it as well).

On the side of security, it would also be nearly impossible to convince you that this addon is safe with or without the netflix proxy and so the only way to trust it is to test it. I write the code so I know codewise that there aren't backdoors if that is what you are worried about. All code also has to pass through cpanel and / or whm authentication with the exception of the built in shoutcast and icecast webservers. Don't of course take my word for it, I encourage you to try it on an empty server and see for yourself.

The only exception to the rule is autoupdates which are done via daily automated checks which are basically forced.

• @risharde said:
    I don't think the issue is breaching copyright but I understand what you are implying legally. The use of a vpn or proxy is a technicality particularly if used outside of U.S from what I am researching - after all the data is passing through a legit U.S server in most cases keeping in mind the context of U.S jurisdiction (and I suppose being a pain in the butt about it as well).

On the side of security, it would also be nearly impossible to convince you that this addon is safe with or without the netflix proxy and so the only way to trust it is to test it. I write the code so I know codewise that there aren't backdoors if that is what you are worried about. All code also has to pass through cpanel and / or whm authentication with the exception of the built in shoutcast and icecast webservers. Don't of course take my word for it, I encourage you to try it on an empty server and see for yourself.

The only exception to the rule is autoupdates which are done via daily automated checks which are basically forced.

You are not selling a Proxy or VPN, though. What you are trying to sell is a proxy for Netflix, which actually includes in encouraging people to break the law, and even worse: making money of it.

Thanked by 2Clouvider risharde
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

It's not breaking the law, it's bypassing geoblocking. As far as the copyright holder is concerned Netflix has paid for the rights to show it to you.

Nobody loses out really.

Thanked by 3GM2015 risharde kingjj
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

How can you guarantee that Netflix will not block the IP of the host using your script? If you advertise "Netflix Proxy" and it doesn't work 100% with Netflix, then hopefully you're providing a full refund.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • @LordSpock said:
    It's not breaking the law, it's bypassing geoblocking. As far as the copyright holder is concerned Netflix has paid for the rights to show it to you.

Nobody loses out really.

WRONG!

I think you don't know how copywrong and MAFIAA are thinking about it.

Thanked by 1risharde

If I'm being honest, any kind of proxy/VPN feature on this seems like an unnecessary security risk. Not something people need added to a cpanel server.

Thanked by 2wych risharde
    edited December 2015

Hi guys thanks for commenting. The proxy is added to a separate server, not the primary cpanel server @jarland , I would be absolutely crazt to put the actual proxy in someone's cpanel server lol. @Kujoe thus the provider is responsible for their server.. if the ip gets blocked, its not a fault on the software... a little confused how you could think I should refund for that? They would just need another ip.

With that being said, based on the response, I will hold off on releasing the proxy release.

Thanked by 1jar
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@Hidden_Refuge said:
    I think you don't know how copywrong and MAFIAA are thinking about it.

They rights holders get paid more if they turn a blind eye in most cases.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • @risharde said:
    They would just need another ip.

Netflix would just block the whole range though...

Thanked by 1risharde
  • @LordSpock said:
    They rights holders get paid more if they turn a blind eye in most cases.

They don't turn a blind eye. They hunt everyone down. Destroy lifes. Censor the Internet and much more.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • Given that WHM Superb is Russian software they aren't in that jurisdiction?

WHM Superb isn't russian software, where did you get that?

• @0xdragon said:
    It's not illegal.

When Netflix Canada asked me why I cancelled my plan, I said that the selection wasn't as good as the American Netflix. They referred me to the American side and helped me open an American account in Canada without a proxy/VPN, so... I'm happy :)

Thanked by 1risharde

@doghouch said:
    When Netflix Canada asked me why I cancelled my plan, I said that the selection wasn't as good as the American Netflix. They referred me to the American side and helped me open an American account in Canada without a proxy/VPN, so... I'm happy :)

That's pretty funny. I've been using a Canadian VPN to access content that's not available here in the US. Maybe I should just call them up to see if I can get a second account.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • I don't think it matters where your Netflix account is from. The content you get served depends on the geolocation for your IP address. If you have a US Netflix account and a Canadian IP address, you should get the Canadian content. Or if you have a Canadian Netflix account and a US IP address, you get the US content.

There are several DNS services for Netflix available. For example, with unblock-us, you can switch the Netflix geolocation to any of 25 different countries to get the Netflix content for those countries.

Also, a good place to check for new Netflix content for all regions: http://unogs.com/

Thanked by 1risharde

@david said:
    I don't think it matters where your Netflix account is from. The content you get served depends on the geolocation for your IP address.

I thought so also but apparently that's not entirely the case.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • singsingsingsing Member
    edited December 2015

LordSpock said: They rights holders get paid more if they turn a blind eye in most cases.

No way to know this without knowing the details of their licensing agreements with Netflix (I am guessing these agreements are not publicly available). It's likely they get paid per user but also per region. Also, there are other distribution channels available to rights holders. If DVD sales for a certain work are going strong in a particular country, why offer it on Netflix where the royalty is probably less than one tenth per consumer.

The Netflix ToS probably says you can only access from within the region for your account (haven't checked this, but certainly plausible).

Thanked by 1risharde