Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

datashack $49 dual xeon 5440
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

datashack $49 dual xeon 5440

flyfly Member
edited January 2013 in General

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1224583

i just got one. what do you guys think?

Comments

• Kill this beast, save some trees.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@fly said: i just got one. what do you guys think?

Was thinking of getting one myself. I think it's a great deal!

• I have one, I wouldn't get another. Have had to swap the chassis atleast 2 times.

Going to go for the E3s or E5-2620s soon.

@Jacob said: Going to go for the E3s or E5-2620s soon.

Go for the E5's. Performance <3

@Jack said: they dropping the servers like BurstNET ;)

I doubt they're that bad...seriously.

@Jack said: On WHT Jacob was saying that BurstNET had dropped one of his 3 server he had colo'd I don't know if this was resolved not to be the case or not.

Wow, then they're pretty crap if they did :P

• It's not a bad deal... one of these days I'll run a dual L5420 with 16 GB of RAM and 2 x 1 TB (or 4 x 1 TB) for $65 - $85...

@BlueVM said: It's not a bad deal... one of these days I'll run a dual L5420 with 16 GB of RAM and 2 x 1 TB (or 4 x 1 TB) for $65 - $85...

And I'd probably get one if you did :P

• flyfly Member

i'm down for anything under $50 for dedis pretty much. the only one i have >$50 is dacentec at $60, but they're rent-to-own

@fly said: i'm down for anything under $50 for dedis pretty much. the only one i have >$50 is dacentec at $60, but they're rent-to-own

yeah, because they then go down to $40/mo after 12 months. Got 1 of those for a client (did have 2 but cancelled it).

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Bought one of these guys, not sure what to do with it.

@BlueVM I agree 100%, it will happen eventually, just a matter of when.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2013

Someone knows if these ones have a kind of KVM/IPMI for remote administration?

@fly
    @Jacob

Also, are these CPUs right? http://ark.intel.com/products/33082/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5440-12M-Cache-2_83-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

• flyfly Member

i dont think they have ipmi, but kvm is available for free if you ask for it i think (only as long as it takes to fix your shiz obviously)

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

@yomero Datashack E5420/E5440 are tower servers, so IPMI/iLO would not be possible.

I'm sure if you ship a KVM they would not have a problem with that, for a additional cost ofc.

• Thanks @Jacob
    Well, I have an of these Opteron, and it has iLO. Probably all their Opterons are HP Blades with iLO?
    I am interested in this, just for the pleasure of install the OS myself.
    I wonder what kind of hardware is used for the "remote reboot" feature.

@fly I am not sure of that hehe.

• flyfly Member

@yomero they told me so in a ticket when i asked.

• They advertise this but it's not offered.

@yomero said: I wonder what kind of hardware is used for the "remote reboot" feature.

• @Jacob said: They advertise this but it's not offered.

That's bad =/

Well, thanks, probably I will resist this offer hehe

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

@yomero

I think the Xeon 5420/5440 are Dell servers with Drac but due to a vulnerability
    Drac was disabled.. that's what they said when I inquired about these servers a while back.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

According to datashack the Intel Xeon Processor E5440 have 8 physical cores, but according to Intel specification it's only 4 - misleading information by datashack.

Intel info:
    http://ark.intel.com/products/33082/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5440-12M-Cache-2_83-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

• @WebProject said: According to datashack the Intel Xeon Processor E5440 have 8 physical cores, but according to Intel specification it's only 4 - misleading information by datashack.

Intel info:

http://ark.intel.com/products/33082/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5440-12M-Cache-2_83-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

It's Dual, 4+4 = 8.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Patrick said: It's Dual, 4+4 = 8.

thank you for pointing out, as don't state on the Intel website.

• @RobertJFClarke said: Bought one of these guys, not sure what to do with it.

That's good. People who do that end up cancelling it :p

• @BlueVM said: It's not a bad deal... one of these days I'll run a dual L5420 with 16 GB of RAM and 2 x 1 TB (or 4 x 1 TB) for $65 - $85...

If you are going to do that deal, I am going to take one :D

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

@WebProject said: as don't state on the Intel website.

the CPU is a quad core but the motherboard takes two of those physical CPU's hence the system has eight cores.. It's not mention on Intel's website cause they did not manufacture the motherboard just the CPU.

• flyfly Member

@WebProject said: thank you for pointing out, as don't state on the Intel website.

yes it's not stated on the intel website because datashack has 2 of those CPU's in their configuration.

• flyfly Member

paypal telling me my account was charged, i get -nothing- from datashack

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@fly It takes two business days for setup

• flyfly Member

heh. turns out mine was already set up, just the emails never reached my inbox for some reason. installing stuff now, and compiling ports are mad fast.

• @fly Was your order at 8:30am?

My order was 6 hours before that and mine has not been set up.
    I added it to my existing account. Did you do the same?

• flyfly Member

mine was right before I made OP