Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for content writers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for content writers

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Hello,

Got a bunch of pages that needs writing, or re-writing and need some original content.

Content may include written documents and images and already in HTML so it can be easily inserted into the website. So basic web development skills are required.

Candidate must be proficient in written English and knowledgeable in the hosting industry.

An example task would be, need a page explaining what DDOS is, and description of the protection solution we may offer.

Of course we expect to pay, so we are ready to review offers.

A simple overview of the job is: A new hosting website is being built. A template/design already exists. New content is needed to populate the website. There may be 10 - 20 pages needed. Some will have little content, like a contacts page, and some may have much more, like the DDOS explanation page.

Thanks!

Comments

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited December 2015

Yeah, and how much are you willing to pay?

Some people will expect ~$30-100; it will vary for the amount of content.

Last thing: Make your own contact page, you lazy kid.

Edit: Each page.

• How much ?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@FlamesRunner, kid? Lazy?

$30 - $100 for what? For 10 - 20 pages? Or for each page?

I imagine something like $0.05 per word + extra for any original graphics. Depends on the page.

I'm not just going to pick the cheapest offers. I am looking for quality work and am willing to pay. Waiting for offers and examples of work.

• So for an average of 500 words per page, this would be around $250-500 total, not including graphics?

• @randvegeta said:
    FlamesRunner, kid? Lazy?

$30 - $100 for what? For 10 - 20 pages? Or for each page?

I imagine something like $0.05 per word + extra for any original graphics. Depends on the page.

I'm not just going to pick the cheapest offers. I am looking for quality work and am willing to pay. Waiting for offers and examples of work.

DDoS or Distributed Denial Of Service attacks are ...

... so that's $0.45 ? wow you paying good !

• randvegeta said: I imagine something like $0.05 per word + extra for any original graphics. Depends on the page.

Can someone please take his money ?

Also, this is should be in Offtopic and not Requests IMO ..

Thanked by 1Caster

0xdragon said: So for an average of 500 words per page, this would be around $250-500 total, not including graphics?

There is not that much to write actually. Many pages already exist, but they need re-writing. So realistically the job will be $100 - $200, the latter maybe including some graphics.

RockBeltHOST said: DDoS or Distributed Denial Of Service attacks are ...

... so that's $0.45 ? wow you paying good !

Technically yes, but I'm not about to hire someone who's objective is to maximize their word count. I'm looking for quality, not quantity. If it's shit, it will simply be rejected.

dotted said: Can someone please take his money ?

And yet, still no offers!

• randvegeta said: If it's shit, it will simply be rejected.

What metrics are you using to consider something "shit" or "not shit" ?

randvegeta said: So realistically the job will be $100 - $200, the latter maybe including some graphics

You're asking for content writers not designers.

Also, considering $0,05 per words for "re-writing" which I think means "writing" from scratch from an "example" (Google re-writing, it really doesn't mean what you're referring to) while having a price range of [100-200] for 10-20 pages unless you want 200 words per page.

randvegeta said: Some will have little content, like a contacts page, and some may have much more, like the DDOS explanation page.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog

@dotted, you're really looking too deeply into this.

Candidates should have example work that I can read to decided if the 'quality' is up to scratch. It is totally subjective, but when it comes to 'creative' work, what isn't? If you want something more concrete, then at the very least it must be grammatically correct, without spelling errors and written at or above a level expected of a university graduate who studied in English.

We have a new hosting brand, and we need a good 10 - 20 pages and we don't want to simply copy and paste everything from our existing websites.

• I think what you need is Creative writing. You're not looking to write blog posts/wiki etc. but website layout texts I assume ?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog

sdglhm said: I think what you need is Creative writing. You're not looking to write blog posts/wiki etc. but website layout texts I assume ?

Not blog posts no. New / original content for a new hosting company. Mostly the content will be generic and applicable to just about any hosting company, but there should be some emphasis on the specifics of OUR hosting company. i.e. talking about the location, the network etc.

• randvegeta said: @dotted, you're really looking too deeply into this.

Better look deeply at it than get IT deeply somewhere, somehow ...

randvegeta said: it comes to 'creative' work

So, it's creative work now .. SWEET!

randvegeta said: We have a new hosting brand, and we need a good 10 - 20 pages and we don't want to simply copy and paste everything from our existing websites.

Still not precise. Mention the EXACT number of pages and count of words per page...

I hope no "university graduate who studied in English" is hopeless enough to take your "offer" ...

• randvegeta said: Mostly the content will be generic and applicable to just about any hosting company

So, not creative and unique anymore ? Weren't you whining about how hosting companies use the same template ? Now you're asking for the "same" but "not-same" content (http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/66383/is-anyone-else-getting-sick-of-all-websites-looking-the-same) ...

randvegeta said: but there should be some emphasis on the specifics of OUR hosting company. i.e. talking about the location, the network etc.

You're asking for a standard, creative and unique hosting content "templates" where you can insert your "company's" information ...

@Dotted, if you have a problem with my request, you are more than welcome to ignore it.

At $0.05 per word, it is not going to be big money, but the task should not take many hours. The whole job is expected to be around $100 - $200, which translates to about 4,000 words. If a page has 400 words on average, which is like 4 - 5 paragraphs worth of text, that is 10 pages. 10 pages of 4 - 5 paragraphs for $200 seems more than reasonable to me, even for a native English speaker who is a University graduate.

Bare in mind, I do not require a University graduate, I only require they write at a graduate level.

And yes, this is a 'creative' job. If I could be very specific about the task, it would be easier to simply write it.

• randvegeta said: @Dotted, if you have a problem with my request, you are more than welcome to ignore it.

Nah, I can't stand bad scammy clients like you.

randvegeta said: At $0.05 per word, it is not going to be big money, but the task should not take many hours. The whole job is expected to be around $100 - $200, which translates to about 4,000 words. If a page has 400 words on average, which is like 4 - 5 paragraphs worth of text, that is 10 pages. 10 pages of 4 - 5 paragraphs for $200 seems more than reasonable to me, even for a native English speaker who is a University graduate.

See, that wasn't hard.

randvegeta said: If I could be very specific about the task, it would be easier to simply write it.

Why don't you do it yourself and tell us more about your """"company's"""" values and specifics.

bye

dotted said: So, not creative and unique anymore ? Weren't you whining about how hosting companies use the same template ? Now you're asking for the "same" but "not-same" content (http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/66383/is-anyone-else-getting-sick-of-all-websites-looking-the-same) ...

We are not using a generic template. I did not say we are using a generic template. We have our own custom design from one of our existing hosting brands. We plan to use this.

I am not asking for ripped off content. Hosting is hosting. If you want to describe what hosting is, and you write it from scratch, it will probably be original and unique. But hosting is generic, and your description of what hosting is will be applicable to many companies. Describe what Coca Cola is and explain how you could not use 90% of the description to also describe Pepsi! 90% will be the same, but then you need to define the remaining 10%. Is that too much to ask?

@Dotted,

In what way am I being scammy or bad? What have I / we done to you to make you so mad?

And 'client'? Am I/we your client?

dotted said: Why don't you do it yourself and tell us more about your """"company's"""" values and specifics.

Simply put, I'm trying to save time. I really don't know what is so difficult to understand.

Thanked by 1GoatSeller
  • Is it really that hard to make the simple pages yourself (contact page, etc)?

• @dotted @randvegeta is asking for some simple creative writing if you are interested then its ok if not it would be a good gesture to move on

• emgemg Veteran

It is my experience that people who have strong technical skills and strong written communications skills are rare. That is what @randvegeta wants. It is also my experience that when you find such people, most of them would rather do hands-on technical work, not writing. If you want quality technical writing, then finding the right person won't be easy, and they will want fair compensation for their work.

Thanked by 2gbshouse Ole_Juul
  • randvegeta said: Describe what Coca Cola is and explain how you could not use 90% of the description to also describe Pepsi!

Coca Cola is awesome, Pepsi is awful. Why would anyone even want to describe Pepsi?

Thanked by 1seaeagle
  • lazytlazyt Member
    edited December 2015

Emg is correct this is a technical writing assignment not creative writing.

A University level on the articles would probably make them incomprehensible to many/most users.
    A lower level of technicality would be easier for the average user to comprehend. Most of the studies I've reviewed recommend no more then a Seventh grade reading level for full comprehension of the materials.

As for the offerered renumeration it is close to current pay scale in many areas.

• You're not lazy, but you know the company best of all people here, so please just do it yourself for everybody's sake...

Thanked by 1namhuy
  • lazyt said: Emg is correct this is a technical writing assignment not creative writing.

When done correctly, "marketing literature" is a create writing assignment.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

You guys are so harsh. The guy is offering 5 cents a word...better than what you often see on vworker.

• Fiverr is usually a good source for inexpensive creative/semi-technical writing.

• emgemg Veteran

raindog308 said: You guys are so harsh. The guy is offering 5 cents a word...better than what you often see on vworker.

I know that you have good technical and good writing skills. Why didn't you apply? ;-)

(Okay, I'll answer that - because you prefer to do more hands-on technical work, are too busy to do it, and get paid much more than that anyway.)

classy said: but you know the company best of all people here, so please just do it yourself for everybody's sake...

Knowing the company and being a good writer are 2 completely separate things. I'm not expecting someone to work on the content in isolation either so it's not a request for someone to write GENERIC content. Much will be generic, but we will need to work with the writer to uniquely identify with our products and distinguish us from others.

It is a VERY common practice. For virtually any product you can buy, it is rarely the case that it was the creator/engineer that actually writes the content. It's not much different to asking someone to create a web design. You can know HTML and how to put a website together, but it is totally different to having a nice interface.

• Just look on google and try to find a good content writer, maybe elance or something. I used to have a guy write my college essays for me when I was lazy my freshman year I found him at digitalpoint.com

• Please PM me for more details. I was writing SmartDataCenter documents when I was still working as an intern at a UC.