Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Task Tracking for Small Team
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Task Tracking for Small Team

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Asked about this a while ago. Have a new team now that is spread out geographically and am looking for something to manage our workflow.

Details:

• we're admins, so I'm not tracking software/bugs/etc. Don't need source code/github/etc integration

• For us, we need to track projects with tasks/subtasks (maybe), not Remedy/ServiceNow/WHMCS/etc. tickets.

• My short list is Asana, Trello, Basecamp, Jira. The latter two are kind of expensive (we're at 11 users and will grow...Jira in particular jumps from $10 to $1800). Some people have recommended Redmine which I haven't looked at.

• Would be interested to see what's self-hostable...more around "OMG YOU PUT OUR SECRETZ ON THE CLOUDZ!" than for cost.

Any big, awesome ones I'm missing?

Looking back at that post...tree.io apparently didn't make it :-)

Comments

• Redmine is ok, but I prefer something a bit more modern looking (sorry I judge, if it looks like shit I don't want it). It just doesn't have the flow in the interface, everything is tabs at the top of the screen. It gets the job done I guess and I've seen projects use it for years.

Jira like you said gets expensive after 10 users. I guess they don't consider 11 users a small team anymore. Your an enterprise at that point.

• Also here's a pretty good list of open source / self hosted projects. There is a category for project management.

Awesome-Selfhosted

• Asana and Jell are my two.

• @raindog308 have you considered Webisses.
    I'm using it with a small team and kanboard board as a general view of all the projects.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Flyspray?

• JIRA has an unlimited trial period IIRC. You can just keep on generating keys - you of course will not have any support though.

At my company people were avoiding creating tasks because Redmine sucked so much - when we switch to JIRA we immediately started to use it and were happy about it.

• @raindog308 said:
    Asked about this a while ago. Have a new team now that is spread out geographically and am looking for something to manage our workflow.

Details:

• we're admins, so I'm not tracking software/bugs/etc. Don't need source code/github/etc integration

• For us, we need to track projects with tasks/subtasks (maybe), not Remedy/ServiceNow/WHMCS/etc. tickets.

• My short list is Asana, Trello, Basecamp, Jira. The latter two are kind of expensive (we're at 11 users and will grow...Jira in particular jumps from $10 to $1800). Some people have recommended Redmine which I haven't looked at.

• Would be interested to see what's self-hostable...more around "OMG YOU PUT OUR SECRETZ ON THE CLOUDZ!" than for cost.

Any big, awesome ones I'm missing?

Looking back at that post...tree.io apparently didn't make it :-)

Redbooth!

• Basecamp? Might be a bit too simple for your usage though..

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2015

If you're ok with hosted, bitrix is solid and free for smaller teams. We use it to track projects, long running ticket histories/etc.

Francisco

Thanked by 1mikei
  • Been using Asana for the last year or so now, works well for us.

• I started using Phproject, pretty nice thing

• mikeimikei Member
    edited December 2015

@Francisco said:
    If you're ok with hosted, bitrix is solid and free for smaller teams. We use it to track projects, long running ticket histories/etc.

Thanks! looks very promising. I use Asana, hate it for mac like intuitiveness.

• We like Asana as well. We have been using Outlook/Tasks integration for the past couple of months, working well too.

• kingpinkingpin Member
    edited December 2015

Redmine is pretty nice. We used it in a small team of devs/admins.

There's also an OpenProject collaborative software descended from Redmine. It has a nice installer allowing you to get the working setup in minutes. So give it a try. It's also free and open source.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2015

I use Kanboard. One click install at scaleway. No complex or fancy crap, just solid and simple task management. I've never enjoyed one more.

This should sell you on it, from their front page:

No fancy technologies, we don't care about the last hipster framework

Thanked by 2mikei ehab
  • I also use Kanboard and very happy with it.

Thanked by 2mikei ehab
  • Trello is by far the easiest solution out of the ones listed given that you don't mind it being hosted by someone else.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

http://lavagna.io/ is pretty neat as well.

Thanked by 1mikei
  • @SpeedBus said:
    http://lavagna.io/ is pretty neat as well.

Have been wanting to try that, I requested the gitlab oauth support. I'm pretty sure its finished :)

• Implement GTD in your team life, then add Kanban-like boards (trello / etc shit).

• Slack + Todoist / Moo.do
  • agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Asana is great and another one I played with and really liked was MeisterTask. They have a desktop and ios client and Android I'm told will be out next month.

• Prefer trello. I like asana but some reason the JS UI is extremely laggy on my laptop. Take up-to 10 seconds to switch tasks and structuring tasks in a tree structure is hacky and a P.I.T.A.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

You could always check out Teamwork. The parent company that hires me paid for it. It seems to be about 10 per month and unfrtounately it is self hosted but it does task logging basically. Just an option. I believe the site is teamwork.com

• I use Kanboard often: http://kanboard.net/ - and if the company pays, Atlassian jira.