Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Softether VPN problem
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Softether VPN problem

So I am using zare.co.uk to host my VPN. One problem is that my ping isn't the best, download seems fairly slow through it and I cannot connect to certain ips.

For example if someone has port forwarded their Garry's Mod server, I cannot join them but I can join someone who is using a company to host their server. I can however join all of the servers without the VPN on.

My Softeither VPN setup:
AES256-SHA encryption
OpenVPN enabled
VPN Azure enabled
SecureNAT enabled
The rest should be default

I am connected to it through the Softeither VPN client using /tcp after the ip. If you reckon I should use different software then please suggest, however I am not paying for software.

Thanks!

Comments

• It's probably not softether, I have been using for a while and haven't had an issue. Your server's IP is probably blocked on some networks.

• what cpu is the vm/server using?

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited December 2015

About your slow speed: use local bridge mode. It is much faster and uses less resources. You have to use dnsmasq for DHCP though.

Did you try to disable VPN Azure and then connect? This might not only improve speed and ping but also connectivity to hosts.

I operate a local bridge mode server without VPN Azure with DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA on a single core Intel Xeon E3-1xxx and I get my max speed of 1.2 MB/s and can connect to everywhere.

• Hidden_Refuge said: About your slow speed: use local bridge mode. It is much faster and uses less resources. You have to use dnsmasq for DHCP though.

This could be his issue My Softeither VPN setup: AES256-SHA encryption

it hammers the cpu like mad

edited December 2015

@TarZZ92 said:

Could be if the CPU is old.

I run DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA on a E3 core and have no speed issue.

Local bridge is still generally faster and needs less resources.

• @Hidden_Refuge said:

Did you try to disable VPN Azure and then connect? This might not only improve speed and ping but also connectivity to hosts.

That's only a relay to get connected to the server. I'm pretty sure it's not enabled by default unless you tell it yes during the setup. Once your connected to the server not being able to connect to certain hosts is still probably a connectivity problem between the server running softether and the host he's trying to connect to.

Taken from softether's website
    The VPN Azure relay server will relay the connection request to the SoftEther VPN Server. Then SoftEther VPN Server will establish the UDP-based VPN tunnel between the VPN Server and the VPN Client (or VPN Bridge). After the UDP-based link has been established the VPN relay server doesn't relay the payloads of VPN tunnel.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited December 2015

Hidden_Refuge said: I run DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA on a E3 core and have no speed issue.

Most likely yes, or an E5

personally i use DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA on one of my G3258 :)

and never really had a speed problem i can easily get 50Mbps +

• @CFarence said:
    The VPN Azure relay server will relay the connection request to the SoftEther VPN Server. Then SoftEther VPN Server will establish the UDP-based VPN tunnel between the VPN Server and the VPN Client (or VPN Bridge). After the UDP-based link has been established the VPN relay server doesn't relay the payloads of VPN tunnel.

Didn't know that as I didn't look into it and disabled it. Just using it as a private VPN anyway and my ISP has no restrictions.

• HackcraftHackcraft Member
    edited December 2015

nevermind, PureVPN are a ripoff, so i'll stay with a VPS

• @Hidden_Refuge said:
    Didn't know that as I didn't look into it and disabled it. Just using it as a private VPN anyway and my ISP has no restrictions.

Same here disabled it, use it to get back home. And my ISP also has no restrictions. Just thought how could they afford to rely all the traffic for free. Then I read about it and they don't. Very cool idea to get past firewalls though.

• The Azure thing might sure be useful to bypass firewalls :).

It was fun to see RC4-MD5 being the default encryption. Too weak imho but probably good for really old/weak hardware like RPi.

• HackcraftHackcraft Member
    edited December 2015

Wait, so if I used Windows Azure I could bypass Fortiguard and all the other crap that my College have?

• @Hackcraft said:
    Wait, so if I used Windows Azure I could bypass Fortiguard and all the other crap that my College have?

If your having trouble establishing a connection to your softether server, then it should be able help your client make the connection.

• Check your IP for blacklists.
    Might be the culprit.

Never had any such trouble myself.
    Also if you have any firewall rules, better check those as well.

• Here's the ip

• CFarenceCFarence Member
    edited December 2015

Run your server on 443, my college blocks everything outbound expect 80,443 they do let port 22 ssh out though.

Getting a valid certificate also might not be a bad idea. I went to high school where they were blocking hosts with self signed certificates.

• I know for a fact that port 22 or whatever is used for SFTP is blocked

• Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll look into it tomorrow as it's pretty late now :D

• Hackcraft said: Wait, so if I used Windows Azure I could bypass Fortiguard and all the other crap that my College have?

but it will be slow as shit (like less than 1Mbps in most cases)

• @TarZZ92 said:

Why is that, the payload isn't relayed

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited December 2015

CFarence said: Why is that, the payload isn't relayed

am not 100% sure how it works but when i tried it (on several different devices i never got over 1Mbps and ping was sky high)

• @TarZZ92 said:
    am not 100% sure how it works but when i tried it (on several different devices i never got over 1Mbps and ping was sky high)

If you mean enabling Azure on Softether, you're welcome to try my VPN server for a change @TarZZ92. You can even try connecting to my dlna server over the VPN connection ;)

edited December 2015

@Hackcraft said:
    I know for a fact that port 22 or whatever is used for SFTP is blocked

Port 22 is the default RFC port for Secure Shell protocol (SSH) and its subsystems (SFTP).

Always connect to your VPN on port 443 as this is most likely open for HTTPS traffic. If nothing works you can try EtherIP.

EtherIP = VPN over ICMP/DNS.

Oh and try the SoftEther client instead of OpenVPN.

• Nomad said: If you mean enabling Azure

Yes.

• @TarZZ92 said:

Strange, they say it only relays the initial connection. Though I haven't tried it myself

• CFarence said: Strange, they say it only relays the initial connection. Though I haven't tried it myself

it was almost like the connection was getting relayed via Tokyo itself which explains the speed issue.