Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH/Runabove Launching Puppet as a Service - And no, they're not going to take your dog on a walk
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH/Runabove Launching Puppet as a Service - And no, they're not going to take your dog on a walk

http://mj.ovh.com/nl2/5r7l/1245s.html

Dear RunAbove Lab user,

Today we are excited to announce a new lab on RunAbove: Puppet as a Service.

We provide you a hosted Puppet Master, load balanced and scalable, manageable through an API.

Puppet allows you to manage the configuration of your infrastructure in a clever way.

At OVH and RunAbove we've been using Puppet for years, as a matter of fact most of our infrastructure is managed by Puppet.
While we love how it enables us to move fast and scale quickly, we had to face the truth: managing Puppet itself is time consuming and hard to get right.

That is why we started to develop Puppet as a Service. First to provide our colleagues a way to bootstrap their infrastructure faster, then when we saw how thrilled they were we've decided to open it to RunAbove labs users.

Puppet as a Service creates a Puppet Master for you.
Just tell us in which repository we can find your Puppet modules and we handle the rest for you.

To get started, activate the Puppet as a Service lab on your RunAbove account and let us guide you through the creation of your first Puppet Master.

You can check our documentation to get to know about the possibilities and you can ask questions to the community.

The RunAbove team

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

GM2015 said: Puppet as a Service creates a Puppet Master for you.

I don't even @ all this stuff. WTF I wish they'd just focus on offering proper and good quality VPSes.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

While I could see this being useful, isn't runabove just a test ground for their products?

Could you really rely on it to manage your infrastructure? Perhaps someone who has used runabove could let me know.

Thanked by 1hawkjohn7
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

They make this a public beta to see if there's any money in it.

I never had servers on runabove, only their 3 month beta desktop on windows. I'm currently writing this from that runabove desktop.

It's actually feels very fast over vmware view. But I'm not to judge based on 1 windows VM runabove.

Awmusic12635 said: While I could see this being useful, isn't runabove just a test ground for their products?

Could you really rely on it to manage your infrastructure? Perhaps someone who has used runabove could let me know.

• Puppet?

• GeekoineGeekoine Member
    edited December 2015

@Awmusic12635 said:
    Perhaps someone who has used runabove could let me know.

It's just a testing platform, the OVH lab. They will probably import the service on ovh, later.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

GM2015 said: They make this a public beta to see if there's any money in it.
    I never had servers on runabove, only their 3 month beta desktop on windows. I'm currently writing this from that runabove desktop.
    It's actually feels very fast over vmware view. But I'm not to judge based on 1 windows VM runabove.

Geekoine said: It's just a testing platform, the OVH lab. They will probably import the service on ovh, later.

Thanks

• CFarenceCFarence Member
    edited December 2015

I first saw that on my phone and though it was puppy as a service.

• I'm glad the title helped you out.

CFarence said: I first saw that on my phone and though it was puppy as a service.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • @GM2015 said:
    I'm glad the title helped you out.

Get the puppy and the dog waking is a separate service. WaaS Walking as a Service

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

Lowendwalk, a platform for all your walking needs.

Try Our WaaS(Walking as a Service) today!

Free training on how to get started with walking today!

Grab our free ebook for our tutorial about how to put one foot after the other.

CFarence said: WaaS Walking as a Service

Thanked by 2CFarence hawc
  • This is a good idea.

CM infrastructure should be rock-solid. Better to let someone with experience worry about it.

• Puppy as a Service

Sounds like a great idea.

Time to make PPTs and get VCs involved.