Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Managing a subdomain's DNS separately
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Managing a subdomain's DNS separately

I have a domain with NameSilo - lets say example.com.

I have a subdomain, lets say cpanel.example.com. It's an A record pointing to a separate server.

I want to manage the DNS records for cpanel.example.com separately to example.com.

example.com DNS records are managed by NameSilo (DNS owl). In the NameSilo control panel I have also created ns1.cpanel.example.com and ns2.cpanel.example.com - at the mo they point to the same cpanel server (this is just for testing - hope that's okay?).

In cPanel I have set my nameservers to the ones I created above. I tried to create a test domain (test.cpanel.example.com) but it doesn't resolve. If I query the specific nameserver with Dig it DOES resolve tho...

Sorry for the confusing read!

TL DR: how can I manage a subdomains DNS records separately with a NameSilo domain?

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

Have you created NS records for cpanel.example.com in NameSilo?

cpanel IN NS blah1.example.com.
    cpanel IN NS blah2.example.com.
  • @perennate said:
    Have you created NS records for cpanel.example.com in NameSilo?

cpanel IN NS blah1.example.com.
    > cpanel IN NS blah2.example.com.

NameSilo doesn't seem to let you edit the DNS zone - just set up custom nameservers. Might have to switch to someone else, kinda annoying

• Easiest way is to use a third party dns system (cloudflare is fine for this) and do what @perennate said, create NS records for the subdomain and point to the name servers.

• Did you DIG from the same server or another? As long as your nameservers are running DIG from the same server will show but it may not from another

• @cjd said:
    NameSilo doesn't seem to let you edit the DNS zone - just set up custom nameservers. Might have to switch to someone else, kinda annoying

Just use an external DNS service?
    Even something like namecheap's freeDNS would work if you didn't want to use your cpanel server for DNS.

If you are the admin you can create Domains in WHM for DNS use that don't have a hosting account assigned if I remember rightly (been a while since i've used cpanel)

• Hmm okay thanks guys.

I have switched DNS provider to CloudFlare and set up subdomain delegation on cpanel.example.com. In CPanel I set up ns1.cpanel.example.com and ns2.cpanel.example.com, they both have a records pointing to the cpanel server.

However the name servers aren't responding? "ERROR: Some of your DNS servers do not have A records at all".

Any more ideas?

• you should also create A/AAAA records for your subdomain which point to the dns server ip address apart from creating ns records

• you may probably need to have A records for ns1 & ns2.cpanel at example.com

• Thanks both - that was it! :)