Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need ideas for what to use 11 VZ0 prometeus VPSs for
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need ideas for what to use 11 VZ0 prometeus VPSs for

trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
edited January 2013 in General

Hey everyone,

It seems I have 11 of the prometeus VPSs that they had on sale but I have nothing to do with them!

I know their are plenty of "what do do with your LEB" but I am not really interested in any of them.

Does anyone have some seemingly alternative uses for these boxes? Otherwise I will probably just end up setting up a VPN on each and selling access.

I would be open to running your applications on them if it's for a community or running a static page on them for something.

Any ideas? k go.

Comments

• Let them expire.

• What, you were hoarding for the end of the world?
    Cancel these to let someone else who has a genuine need to buy them. As you know stock is limited.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@rds100
    I was running calculations for predicting the exact second the world was going to end ;)

No but really I had an actual use for them but I only needed them for a day or so and because they were so cheap it was quite profitable.

• Cancel them

• @trewq said: No but really I had an actual use for them but I only needed them for a day or so and because they were so cheap it was quite profitable.

Profitable? You're letting them sit there doing nothing, and are paying for them.

• One would think that Amazon or other bill-per-hour type of provider would be more "profitable" for such one day uses, but who knows.. i haven't run the numbers :)

edited January 2013

@gubbyte
    I paid $66 for 12 months for 11 of them. I can tell you now I made more than that.

I'm not going to cancel them as I have already paid for them and they have made their money back that's why I am asking for suggestions and am more than happy to host stuff for people.

• Cancel it, and return it back to @Prometeus so another people can have the use of it.
    And I believe Uncle Sal might want to refund you.

@ErawanArifNugroho I'll assess my options first as it seems I might now have a use for at lest half of them.

Guys, I'm going to put this out there now. I'm greedy. I'm not going to cancelling them.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2013

Are you sure to have bought 11 50cents? I remember a few people getting more than one, but 11 seems a big number...

EDIT: they are most likely VZ0, not 50 cents, if you are who I think you are;-)

• Hehe.. Well then. To give you some another ideas :

• znc
    • looking glass
    • openvpn
    • pptpd
    • munin server
    • small forum
    • have another or create a bigger task with it :), and earn more money
    edited January 2013

@prometeus
    100% sure. Can see them in my WHMCS account :)

@ErawanArifNugroho
    It was an impulse thing that turned out to be worth it. Probably never going to be worth it again.

@trewq said: 100% sure. Can see them in my WHMCS account :)

the number is correct, the plan not. They are VZ0, not 50 cents

@prometeus said: the number is correct, the plan not. They are VZ0, not 50 cents

Yeah, just looked at that. Oh well more money for you ;)

Well there you go guys. VZ0 not 50cent.

1. Use them to study high availability setup
    2. Donate to some people

@jcaleb said: Use them to study high availability setup

This is actually a really good idea. I am currently paying $30/month for a VPS "in the cloud" that could just be swapped over for a few of these as I'm pretty sure they are spread over different nodes.

@trewq said: I paid $66 for 12 months for 11 of them

this is also not accurate. The price you wrote before the last edit was ;)

@prometeus said: this is also not accurate. The price you wrote before the last edit was ;)

I'm all over the shop with the stats of what I got... Oh well

• @trewq said: This is actually a really good idea. I am currently paying $30/month for a VPS "in the cloud" that could just be swapped over for a few of these as I'm pretty sure they are spread over different nodes.

Study will be easier because they are all at the same location.

@jcaleb said: Study will be easier because they are all at the same location.

I have VPSs in other locations as well so it's not that big of a deal.

• donate it to me as birthday present

• @haseltine : Today is your birthday?

• @trewq said: I have VPSs in other locations as well so it's not that big of a deal.

I mean there is no lag between them, so synchronization is fast.

• If @prometeus allows it, you could set up a bunch of honeypots and upload the data to honeynet.org or elsewhere. You could also share the attacking IPs in LET, to help people blacklist them in their networks.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

The real secret to how to profit from sale prices...the massive number of people who just throw money at you and never use it :P

I kid, but there's truth to the joke!

@jarland what you say is 100% truth but in no way do I regret my purchase.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Oh I know... I don't regret any of my 4 yearly buyvm's either ;)

• A personal non-enterprise cloud storage?

You could try to setup fail-over, I've never setted up a fail-over system with VPS before, would be interesting.

• Set up [Tiny Tiny RSS] with registrations: http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-rss/wiki
    Set up LEB DNS hosting
    Backup your email: https://raymii.org/s/software/Nopriv.py.html
    Help @joepie91 with some Tahoe-LAFS storage space: https://raymii.org/s/tutorials/Tahoe_LAFS_Storage_Grid.html

Run a GlusterFS cluster for your websites
    Run Munin, Nagios, Cacti, Zabbix, Centreon etc. to monitor your cluster

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@Raymii said: Set up [Tiny Tiny RSS] with registrations: http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-rss/wiki

Set up LEB DNS hosting
    Backup your email: https://raymii.org/s/software/Nopriv.py.html
    Help @joepie91 with some Tahoe-LAFS storage space: https://raymii.org/s/tutorials/Tahoe_LAFS_Storage_Grid.html

Run a GlusterFS cluster for your websites

Run Munin, Nagios, Cacti, Zabbix, Centreon etc. to monitor your cluster

All those really nice suggestions :)
    Now I know why they go so fast, because ppl buy by the bucket...
    Maybe we should limit one per customer if we do this... Oh, wait, then we get someone doing 20 accounts, I just saw a few weeks before someone with 30+ accounts.
    We ended up with -8 stock once...