Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weekly recap of open source and sysadmin related stuff
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Weekly recap of open source and sysadmin related stuff

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited December 2015 in General

source

Recap of week 50 of 2015, covering open source and sysadmin related stuff. Let's see if I can keep this up for a few weeks.

News and articles

Software and releases

Talks, slides and podcasts

Fun and nifty things

Comments

• Kernel 4? My god, OpenVZ is stuck at 2.6.32....

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@PetaByet said:
    Kernel 4? My god, OpenVZ is stuck at 2.6.32....

And it's almost 2 months old. That's ancient in internet time. :)

Thanked by 1PetaByet
  • PetaByetPetaByet Member
    edited December 2015

@KuJoe said:
    And it's almost 2 months old. That's ancient in internet time. :)

Kernel 2.6.32 in comparison was first released more than 6 years ago and 2.6 back in 2003...

Meanwhile we are still waiting for a 3.x kernel from OVZ...first released 4 years ago

@PetaByet said:
    Kernel 2.6.32 in comparison was first released more than 6 years ago and 2.6 back in 2003...

Yeah, good thing they aren't using that or they'd be in trouble. Latest OpenVZ kernel release (stable) was October 26th of this year (less than 2 months ago).

Keep in mind that RHEL 6.x (which CentOS 6.x is based on) also uses 2.6.32 so OpenVZ has no control over their kernel version if they want to run on CentOS which has been their primary focus since the beginning because of it's widespread use in enterprises and such.

• @PetaByet said:
    Meanwhile we are still waiting for a 3.x kernel from OVZ...first released 4 years ago

Proxmox stopped supporting OpenVZ in their newest release and replaced it with LXC, just because of this. It seems OpenVZ is dying...

LXC is not yet that good with privilege seperation to be on the same level for VPS providers as openvz...

• @KuJoe CentOS 6 supports all the latest kernels (including 4.3), one of my dedi providers installs that by default.

@Raymii apparently VZ7 is progresssing quite well with daily activity on the mailing lists.

@PetaByet said:

That's a horrible way to measure software. I really hope you're trolling and don't base the latest version of something on how long ago the first version was released.

• btw iOS 9.2 is shit for enterprise clients who use MDM. Apple broke MDM again

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    btw iOS 9.2 is shit for enterprise clients who use MDM. Apple broke MDM again

Why? We haven;t had any problems here with the 30 pad's, but maas360 is shit with or without apple breaking it.

edited December 2015

@PetaByet said:
    KuJoe CentOS 6 supports all the latest kernels (including 4.3), one of my dedi providers installs that by default.

Yes, you can compile your own kernels but then you have to maintain them yourself which most people don't want to do.

EDIT: It looks like there are repos out there for CentOS 7 but all of the sites for CentOS 6 are just instructions on compiling your own.

• @Raymii said:
    Why? We haven;t had any problems here with the 30 pad's, but maas360 is shit with or without apple breaking it.

Fresh installs won't work. Existing upgrades are fine

• n1 thread, will you keep updating weekly herein?

• @KuJoe said:
    That's a horrible way to measure software. I really hope you're trolling and don't base the latest version of something on how long ago the first version was released

Of course not.

2.x lacks lots however - no support for PCIe / NVMe SSDs on CentOS 6.7 for example. I got one of these for testing and the speed was capped to SATA speed.

• @Falzo said:
    n1 thread, will you keep updating weekly herein?

That is a good idea actually

@PetaByet said:

Yes, the one downside of using an older kernel base is not supporting newer technology but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing unless you don't know how to compile your own kernels or don't want to use another OS. :)

• Really nice thread! Love if you could do this every week :)

• @KuJoe said:
    Yes, the one downside of using an older kernel base is not supporting newer technology but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing unless you don't know how to compile your own kernels or don't want to use another OS. :)

I would hope OVZ can have a 3.x kernel, opens up much more options / possibilities. It's my preferred virtualisation unless I really need a custom kernel (which usually is 3.x).

@Raymii said:
    That is a good idea actually

Yes please :) monthly or fortnightly?

• @PetaByet said:
    Yes please :) monthly or fortnightly?

Weekly is the plan

• KuJoe said: That's a horrible way to measure software. I really hope you're trolling and don't base the latest version of something on how long ago the first version was released.

Indeed. The first version of Boolean algebra came out in 1847 and we're still using binary logic? My God! Come on guys, it's time to move on to something more modern.

• PetaByet said: Meanwhile we are still waiting for a 3.x kernel from OVZ...first released 4 years ago

Jesus... 3.x was 4 years already?

• jhjh Member

Something I actually want in my inbox and I can't find a box :)

• @jh said:
    Something I actually want in my inbox and I can't find a box :)

Le wut :3 ?

• Raymii said: Le wut :3 ?

To signup to emails ;)

Thanked by 1jh
  • jhjh Member

Raymii said: Le wut :3 ?

What @Ishaq said. This would be a good weekly email to get if the selected articles/headlines/links are well thought out.

• jh said: This would be a good weekly email to get if the selected articles/headlines/links are well thought out.

I just marked @raymii as a friend on reddit and all these are easy to see then

• @KuJoe said:
    That's a horrible way to measure software. I really hope you're trolling and don't base the latest version of something on how long ago the first version was released.

It may not be the best way to measure software, but the fact that OpenVZ hasn't been able to keep up with kernel development could very well mean its downfall as popular "virtualization" technology in the future.

I haven't got all the details, but development on vzctl on the mainline kernel seems to be progressing slowly. Meanwhile, Proxmox has dropped OpenVZ in favor of LXC. While it may in itself not be significant, it's a signal nonetheless.

I personally think that if OpenVZ don't get their act together in the next year or two, they may be doomed for a big downfall in usage (and popularity).

Thanked by 1Raymii
  • @miTgiB said:
    I just marked raymii as a friend on reddit and all these are easy to see then

There's a link on every page to the RSS feed: https://raymii.org/s/ - that would be a better idea I guess

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited December 2015

Nice list. Would like to read weekly.

Btw, the "ZFS on Debian 8 is nice"-link is broken.

• @drazilox said:
    Nice list. Would like to read weekly.

Btw, the "ZFS on Debian 8 is nice"-link is broken.

I see. I can't edit my top post anymore, so here's the correct link: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-install-and-configure-zfs-on-debian-8-jessie/

It's fixed on the source page: https://raymii.org/s/blog/Recap_of_week_50_2015.html