Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where in the world Bandwidth is least expensive?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where in the world Bandwidth is least expensive?

As per your view which country
effective price per Mbps per Month could be lowest. ( Both Transit / Peering )

Comments

• Ask the master of Bandwidth, @William !

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Probably France

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Probably depeneds on Your volume and the destination of the traffic.

• @Clouvider Probably depeneds on Your volume and the destination of the traffic.

That's true. volume always matter.

It's Europe, but i think this is just an average. I am sure UK will be more expensive than Germany or France.

Some time earlier I was reading €1.39 for 1TB @ Hetzner on their shared network, wondering how they can.

• Depends on your contacts, your target networks and how much BW you need - simple as that.

After some levels (like 100G+) you cannot simply go buy "another 100G Cogent" or "another 100G HE" and then trust that they actually have 100G available into your target networks or even outside the same city/country, especially if you send much traffic to wannabe Tier1s (DTAG, UPC/LGI, TPSA, ONO.. you get it) that use expensive routes or do not upgrade existing peering/"cheap" transit ports due to their need/interest to sell BW on both sides.

Besides that you then also NEED to look into peering unless your user base is extremely limited to a single ISP or a bunch of ISPs sharing a single lower cost upstream - In Asia peering by now is vital for many, especially HKIX and in SG (Equinix etc.) for Int and in JP/ID/MY (etc) for local, in Europe you can't even work without peering anymore and honestly who wants to anyway? Cutting your BW costs by up to 90% and at least 25% if you have a usual traffic pattern is nothing you can just decline to do.

TL;DR ^: BW is not just BW, the 1EUR/$ BW you buy with your dedi/whatever is just a finely tuned mix between either your DCs upstreams (if large enough) or their upstreams, the cost pattern always depends on the actually used routes and also - by now - on the time of day.

Cheapest BW, if you count "is able to deliver traffic to any BGP table'd network at at least 5% of port speed" or something along this line, is likely HE/Cogent in EU/US and there obviously in the largest markets (LDN, AMS, FRA, PAR, NYC, CHI, DAL, LAX...) and in a few attractive side markets (low power costs, on a major fiber route, cheap cooling due to env) (Stockholm and KC for example) and a bunch of high-tech hubs (SFO, SJC etc.).

1G with them starts at like 500-700$, 10G 5000-7000$, 40G 15000-25000$ (this is where your traffic patterns start to matter for HE/Cogent).

Now, OP probably just wants a server with "unmetered gbit" for like "50$" so that explanation is wasted and just move onto OVH, Online or one of the large NL providers - They in the end apply the above along with extensive peering and own transport to offer you something that in reality does not exist and will force them to kick you at one point anyway if pricing is not adjusted either by upstreams/HW or on your service.

• William said: Now, OP probably just wants a server with "unmetered gbit" for like "50$" so that explanation is wasted and just move onto OVH, Online or one of the large NL providers - They in the end apply the above along with extensive peering and own transport to offer you something that in reality does not exist and will force them to kick you at one point anyway if pricing is not adjusted either by upstreams/HW or on your service.

I'm just thinking the same when i opened this thread

• could it be USA?

• dailydaily Member
    edited December 2015

What is the point of these comments? Completely stupid.

Thanked by 2lucast TheKiller
  • @William and why the hell is in Austria the bandwidth so expensive?

• WHT said: @William and why the hell is in Austria the bandwidth so expensive?

It is not, you just have either too small volume or the wrong datacenter/location. Graz/Bregenz/Salzburg/whatever are simple, even inside Austria, absolutely useless from any hosting perspective - Austria is so small and centralised that 90%+ of traffic again ends up in Vienna anyway (either to VIX or to upstream) even if you try to P2P with your next door friend, this is also unlike in larger countries (DE, FR, US) with a maximum latency (pure fiber via ASFINAG, Bregenz-Vienna, tested via Aconet RS) of around 9ms not really an issue.

FYI, backhaul from/to Vienna from any of the state capitals costs you between .70-2EUR/Mbit on a 1G link (10G via Interoute to Salzburg/Graz/Klagenfurt costs like 6000EUR, dedicated wave) which easily doubles your transit costs...

Vienna has nearly the same pricing as AMS and FRA (but less general BW available), it is a special case city like STO noted above due to many Russian and balkan links ending up in Vienna (backdating to older phone systems/links into east bloc/balkans from (then) neutral Austria) and A1 owning a lot of business down there (Serbia, Croatia...) plus cultural connections and business/gov ties (was empire after all at one point and we were rather friendly with all following govs from WW2 to current in most of these countries).

All large carriers are present (all T1s (even VZ and AT&T) plus Hibernia, HE, Retn and German carriers). Starts at around 70c/Mbit for HE/Cogent on a 1G commit on 1G port in InterXion Floridsdorf, 1$/Mbit on G 95% on 10G. Retn/Atrato 1EUR/Mbit on 1G commit on 10G.

Thanked by 2WHT theroyalstudent
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited December 2015

sandro said: could it be USA?

US major hubs (let's just say LAX, DAL and NYC) are same priced as major EU hubs (AMS, FRA, LDN) by now (Hibernias only difference is $/EUR, HE/Cogent is same) it really makes not much difference anymore - most by now do not buy with the "price" scheme anymore like back then when 10Mbit cogent was 300$ in NYC and 700$ in LDN but rather by their target audience, which in the end makes more sense for all sides (save traffic on trans atlantic/pacific/longhaul links, better latency, less SPOFs and so on). The internet backbone just evolved, as is expected from it.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • You have explained very well! I enjoy to read your comments. I was looking in many datacenters in Vienna for housing with unmetered 100mbit and half was nit offering it and half was asking for €150 to €300 only for the 100mbit.

• There is your problem - 100Mbit is not really a large commit, 150EUR is pretty good for that in Austria already.

Colo wise Nessus and anyone in their DC are probably the cheapest, Datasix/Anexia second, I3B/HS33 3rd.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • ManofServerManofServer Member
    edited December 2015

How come no one ever thought about getting a 100G commit, and then selling (and cheaper than the current crazy colocation prices) it in smaller 100-200Mbps chunks to guys like us? :D

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2015

ManofServer said: How come no one ever thought about getting a 100G commit,

They thought. They are the ones selling to you and making profit ;-).

• @dailymc said:

Fuck, I'm just trying to help out here. I don't see you coming up with any cheaper bandwidth, so why don't you just shut it?