Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dreamhost, the ultimate storage VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dreamhost, the ultimate storage VPS?

FreekFreek Member
edited January 2013 in General

You never can have enough online storage. There are several threads here on LET regarding storage VPS, but most of them are about setting up a storage VPS service.
Currently I'm in need of at least 100GB of online storage and I just stumbled upon Dreamhost's 300MB VPS, which comes with 'Unlimited Disk and BW'. That all seems nice and well, but I know from experience that there's no such thing as 'Unlimited'. So I was wondering, does anyone have experience with Dreamhost's VPS, using them for storage?
If not, what providers would you recommend for storage VPS? I already found BuyVM and CloudShreds.

Thanks

Comments

• if the fine print doesn't say anything about fair use limits, then you should expect unlimited -- if you don't get it, complain

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited January 2013

oh, and you might want to take a look at http://dreamhost.com/unlimited-policy/

Here are some specific examples of things not allowed:

• File upload / sharing / archive / backup / mirroring / distribution sites.
  • That is quite a good Idea, but this would require some big storage nodes.

• May I recommend @fliphost, they are good as well

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@Asim Thanks for the recommendation

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited January 2013

'if not, what providers would you recommend for storage VPS?"

Kimsufi's 9.99 euros dedi or the new storage plans from Prometeus: 200GB storage for about $6 monthly > https://my.iperweb.com/cart/backup-kvm/

"'Unlimited Disk and BW"

Unlimited has always meant "very limited" in web hosting industry doublespeak.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm serving about 125GB in my Dreamhost shared account.

A guy posted on WHT last year that he had 1.2TB.

It's all web-facing content - not backups or anything. However, every Dreamhost shared account comes with a separate 50GB backup space you can access via ftp, scp, rsync over ssh, etc.

I think Dreamhost is as close to "unlimited" as you will find, though you have to play by the rules. If you have hundreds of GBs of legal web content, sure. If you're trying to backup your VPSes or whatever, no.

Behind the scenes, I believe Dreamhost uses deduped SAN. Back in 2006 or so when I started with them I think it was NetApp but I don't know now. I suspect the vast majority of their customers have 500MB or so of Wordpress templates and that's it. The occasional heavy user doesn't bother them.

It's fairly unusual for someone to have hundreds of GBs of legitimate web content. I do only because I distribute some public domain content and host my family photo album there.

• There is no such thing as "unlimited."

• @mojeda said: There is no such thing as "unlimited."

Sure there is e.g. ∞

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@DomainBop said: or the new storage plans from Prometeus: 200GB storage for about $6 monthly > https://my.iperweb.com/cart/backup-kvm/

We will be having a promo at the Xen storage plans soon so we may go as low as 1 cent a GB on some.

• @Maounique said: We will be having a promo at the Xen storage plans soon so we may go as low as 1 cent a GB on some.

What? Wow!

• It's from the last newsletter from Prometeus :)

• @Maounique said: We will be having a promo at the Xen storage plans soon so we may go as low as 1 cent a GB on some.

The IPv6-only one? If not, when will those be available?

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

If you require storage VPS's, hit me up, can do some good deals in EU + 1gb/s.

regards,
    R. Alkhaili

• constant.com
    Dreamhost is a joke, frequent downtime turns me down.

Can't wait!

@gubbyte said: oh, and you might want to take a look at http://dreamhost.com/unlimited-policy/

Ah yes, the usual 'we're really unlimited but we're not' crap.

@DomainBop said: Kimsufi's 9.99 euros dedi

I'm looking for a RAID solution this time, thanks though!

@Asim said: May I recommend @fliphost, they are good as well

Thanks, noted.

@raindog308 said: I think Dreamhost is as close to "unlimited" as you will find, though you have to play by the rules. If you have hundreds of GBs of legal web content, sure. If you're trying to backup your VPSes or whatever, no.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sadly that is what I'm trying to do ;)

@rsk said: If you require storage VPS's, hit me up, can do some good deals in EU + 1gb/s.

I'll hit you up ;)

• My friend owns Idforums.net ( he uses over 2tb bandwidth a month for songs/download/etc )

He has around 60gb of data, and he's been using his 300mb vps box for 2-3years now I think? He never complains about it or whatnot, just though I throw this out there incase you choose them... It's pretty decent.

• We have storage plans with pretty decent storage capacities.