Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SQL Replication on 2 VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SQL Replication on 2 VPS

xaitmixaitmi Member
edited December 2015 in Help

Hi,

I have 2 Ramnode VPS's, NY and Atlanta.

VPS #1 (Main): Hosts a database used by an application to authenticate users

VPS #2 (Failover): In the event VPS #1 goes down, VPS #2 needs to have an up to date copy of the database on VPS 1.

What would be the best way to make sure the database on VPS #2 is in sync with VPS #1.

People make purchases every few minutes, and when a purchase is made, a username and password is added to the database on VPS #1

Comments

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited December 2015

High end solution, Galera cluster and innodb. 1

Low end solution, master-master replication with auto increment id offset. 2

• Galera needs min 3 servers to function properly

• Should this be a typical master/slave setup? The OP never asks the slave to step up for write when master is down.

• bookstack said: Should this be a typical master/slave setup?

I assume so. OP only need one way.

• @sdglhm said:
    I assume so. OP only need one way.

I assumed that OP wants the #2 to be up and running when #1 is down. Running = Write involved.

@Vald said:
    Galera needs min 3 servers to function properly

It's a good time to grab their Seattle service.

• xaitmixaitmi Member
    edited December 2015

When #1 is down, I just needs #2 to have all the data #1 had.

No sales will happen when #1 is down, so no new entries will be added to the database.

• You could have 2 DB insert calls, one goes to localhost and the other goes to the 2nd VPS. This is assuming that both DBs are the same at the time you implement 2 DB insert calls. I'm also assuming that the database isn't transaction heavy (inserts / deletes / other stuff) and you're willing to deal with the latency.

• xaitmi said: When #1 is down, I just needs #2 to have all the data #1 had.

Means that you can run a simple master/slave :)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Yeah just run Master <-> Master setup, tunnel it with autossh, all good.

• jhjh Member

Infinity580 said: Yeah just run Master <-> Master setup, tunnel it with autossh, all good.

Could also use the built-in SSL settings.

• kingpinkingpin Member
    edited December 2015

@black said:

Would obviously require #2 to always be up and running, unless you temporarily change the app/stored proc code so it does CRUD to #1 only during maintenance, but in this case you end up with two inconsistent databases and need to re-load data into #2 once the maintenance tasks are carried out.

Personally, I would go with any existing replication solution.