Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Blames Deleted Data for Christmas Eve Netflix Outage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Amazon Blames Deleted Data for Christmas Eve Netflix Outage

bamnbamn Member
edited December 2012 in Providers

Source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413716,00.asp

Alas, it appears the downtime was the result of human error. According to Amazon's calculations, a developer deleted a portion of ELB data at 12:24 p.m. Pacific on Dec. 24.

"This data is used and maintained by the ELB control plane to manage the configuration of the ELB load balancers in the region (for example tracking all the backend hosts to which traffic should be routed by each load balancer)," Amazon said.

"Unfortunately, the developer did not realize the mistake at the time," Amazon continued. "After this data was deleted, the ELB control plane began experiencing high latency and error rates for API calls to manage ELB load balancers."

Since Amazon didn't realize that the data had been deleted, its team initially focused on the API errors. "The team was puzzled as many APIs were succeeding (customers were able to create and manage new load balancers but not manage existing load balancers) and others were failing," Amazon said.

As a result, it took Amazon several hours to figure out that data had been deleted. When it did, around 5 p.m. Pacific, the team disabled several of the ELB control plane workflows and recovered some data. They tried to restart the system by bringing it back to the state in which it was in just before the data deletion, but that "failed to provide a usable snapshot of the data."

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Sucks to lose your job during the holiday season. :(

• One man's loss is another man's gain ;)

• He won't lose his job as long as his box-packing efficiency/speed is sufficiently high.

• Does Netflix use only amazon for their infrastructure/storage? You'd think would have their own infrastructure..

• @twain said: Does Netflix use only amazon for their infrastructure/storage? You'd think would have their own infrastructure..

As a media company, I would not want to have to deal with my own infrastructure. I'd much rather rent from a seemingly reliable provider

• flyfly Member

netflix has caches everywhere. i think they use aws for their main site and their backend probably