Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Provider Changing IP Address of VPS - Is there anything I need to do?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Provider Changing IP Address of VPS - Is there anything I need to do?

Hello, the provider for one of my VPS's (ReliableHostingServices) sent me an email that they assigning me a new IP address, and the old one will be removed from my VPS in 2 weeks.

When running ifconfig, I can see venet0:0-00 as the "old" IP address, and venet0:1-00 as the "new" ip address.

I understand that I will obviously need to update any config files for VPNs, and A records on my DNS for nginx (and my saved IP address in Putty & Filezilla :P ).

However, in terms of the operating system itself, is there any changes or updates I need to make myself, or is this all handled when the provider removes the "old" IP address?

In case it matters, this is OpenVZ, running CentOS.

I did try Google searching to see if I missed anything, but the results I found seem to only remind me to update DNS & allow 2 days for DNS propagation.

http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/email/general-information/ip-address-change-info
http://wiki.vps.net/controlpanels/other-control-panels/your-ip-address-is-changing-heres-what-you-need-to-do/

Thank you ahead for any input :)

Comments

• Yep you only need to update DNS and any configurations that bind to the IP, they'll remove your old IP Address on the date they told you and you do not need to take further action on that

Thanked by 1PandaRain
  • yeah change ips in backup scripts too and possibly in ~/.ssh/config.

Thanked by 1PandaRain
  • Anything that's not working on your new IP now will stop working. If you find a service does let work check its config - it's probably bound to the IP and not the device/listening globally.

Thanked by 1PandaRain
  • You need to look for a VPS provider with their own IP allocations.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Nope, you don't need to change anything with your OS since you're running OpenVZ and all of the networking for the OS is handled by OpenVZ (unless you're running veth instead of venet, which I highly doubt).

Thanked by 1PandaRain
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@kcaj said:
    You need to look for a VPS provider with their own IP allocations.

Looks like that is what this vps provider is moving to.

• Thank you for the input, everyone