Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ Template Ideas
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ Template Ideas

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited December 2012 in General

Simple question for the community here. What unique templates would you like to see offered by your providers?

Comments

• I am thinking about starting a repository of them as we now have a working gentoo template.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@24khost said: we now have a working gentoo template

I bow to you sir! My favorite new one is the zPanel template I just made. It's not preinstalled, but it's perfectly set up to run the included install script, with instructions. Prefer it that way.

• wow would love to have that too!!! Sounds great.

• Probably SliTaz?

I mean, 30MB Distro is pretty cool and it has a cool but ultra light DE.

• @jarland you should share zPanel template.

@Nevil said: Probably SliTaz?

Interesting. I don't know how to do this. Should be fun to try :)

@curtisg said: you should share zPanel template.

http://jarland.me/ubuntu-12.04-x86-zPanel.tar.gz

• @jarland http://www.zvps.co.uk/zpanel/ubuntu-1204

"Currently unavailable due to changes in the repository for zpanel. New installers are to be released on the 1st of January 2013."

edited January 2013

@Jeffrey said: "Currently unavailable due to changes in the repository for zpanel. New installers are to be released on the 1st of January 2013."

It works though. I ran it last night. If the script needs an update after the new release I'll fix it, but the important part is that the OS is prepared properly for the install script. This is what trips up most people in my experience. Load it up, type ./install, input hostname, done.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Some hosts offer OpenVPN templates, so maybe there is demand for that.

@Nyr said: Some hosts offer OpenVPN templates, so maybe there is demand for that.

Hmm. Good idea as well!

• Deepofix mail server:
    http://www.deeproot.in/deepofix

• arch linux with GoFish server template needed!!!!

I want to beat arch Linux with a stick. Why does it have to be so different? It reminds me of the first time I installed Linux, having no clue how to use it ;)

Anyone have any good resources for a quick crash course in how to make heads or tails of it as a Debian/RHEL user? Or is their wiki pretty much as simple as it gets?

• @jarland hah I stopped using it as a desktop when they replaced ifconfig with ip addr.

• @jarland said: I want to beat arch Linux with a stick.

That's just bloody rude.

@TheHackBox Don't stand in my way!

• @jarland if I setup a repository would you be willing to share the templates you create?

• Would a template really be necessary for that? It's just a matter of installing it through pip, running the configuration wizard, and starting it.

@24khost said: if I setup a repository would you be willing to share the templates you create?

Absolutely

• @gubbyte it doesn't take much but niether does installing wordpress! this just makes it easier.

• then do one for ZNC :)
    http://wiki.znc.in/ZNC

edited January 2013

@gubbyte said: Would a template really be necessary for that? It's just a matter of installing it through pip, running the configuration wizard, and starting it.

If I could only list the number of tickets I get from new clients wondering why Remote Desktop won't authenticate on their new VPS. You might think they're just not worth having as clients, but their money works the same. Finding ways to accommodate them through any path that saves even a few commands is totally worth it. Most of these clients I've just manually set up what they wanted for them and they've been quiet and happy. I love it.

• BuyVM have tons of templates, a lot turnkeys. Maybe that will help.

But what I recommend is frequently used stack that are hard to install. Maybe different control panels (Kloxo, EHCP, etc) because I believe many use LEB for webhosting. VPN setups too. Then just have a wiki on your site what to change after installing a template.

But for me, I just want provider to have the latest major distro templates. (E.g. Ubuntu 12.04). Many provider have much older which sucks.

@jcaleb said: But for me

One of these days I'm getting you on my server :P

• @jarland said: One of these days I'm getting you on my server :P

Looking forward!

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited January 2013

@jarland preparing a server right now.

I am thinking of keeping it simple. Just providing you a username and password for ftp.

@24khost said: Just providing you a username and password for ftp.

Shell account would be easier, I can just rsync it over, less setup time for you as well.

• Okay can do that. Will set it up and pm you the info.

• +1 for OpenVPN server! (esp one that does IPv6 over IPv4)