Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

howto route ipv6 into a VM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

howto route ipv6 into a VM?

kzedkzed Member

hi,
i have a dedicated server and already announced 2 ipv6 block with different subnet into this server
i want to route this block directly to my VM...
i have 2 VM inside the server, so i want one VM get one ipv6 block.
how to correctly do this?

thankyou

Comments

• If the block size is a /64, you will have to create a bridge, and attach the primary network adaptor of the machine along with the VM network interface.

You should then be able to use the /64 block as usual.

If the block size is larger than a /64, you can take a /64 (this is the smallest ipv6 for routing) from the block, and assign that to the primary network interface. Assign another /64 block from the same ipv6 block, and the traffic should work. May require NDP proxying/etc.

See http://www.gestioip.net/cgi-bin/subnet_calculator.cgi for a calculator

Thanked by 1kzed
  • the block size is larger than /64
    i want to route all of them into the VM without assigning it to the server network interface, is it possible?

• i already try assigned one of the ipv6 block directly to the VM1, and its working fine, but somehow it did not work in the VM2 when i try to assign the other ipv6 block,

• @kzed said:
    the block size is larger than /64
    i want to route all of them into the VM without assigning it to the server network interface, is it possible?

Use a bridge in that case.

Thanked by 1kzed
  • how to do that?
    here is my /etc/network/interfaces on the server

auto vmbr0
    iface vmbr0 inet static
    address 172.xx.xxx.xx
    netmask 255.255.255.248
    gateway 172.xx.xxx.xx
    bridge_ports eth0
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
    auto vmbr1
    iface vmbr1 inet static
    address 192.168.18.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    bridge_ports none
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
    post-up iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '192.168.18.0/24' -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE
    post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '192.168.18.0/24' -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE

• Attach primary network interface of VM to vmbr0

• kzedkzed Member
    edited December 2015

@ALinuxNinja said:
    Attach primary network interface of VM to vmbr0

all my VM already bridged to vmbr0, but only VM1 that successfully use the ipv6 block, when i try the same way on then VM2, it didn't work...

• @kzed said:

Same block, or the second block of ipv6

• tried both of them and didn't work..
    if someone can help me setting up the network, im ready to pay it, it been 2 days I've try it and fail.