Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server solution with OpenVZ or KVM installed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server solution with OpenVZ or KVM installed

yowzayowza Member
edited November 2011 in General

I own half a dozen servers which are hosted in a colo facility near where I live in Oregon. Two of the servers have OpenVZ installed and one has KVM. I have around 25 OVZ nodes and maybe 5 KVM nodes.

I've calculated that it would be cheaper for me to buy a bunch of LEB VPS services than it is to pay for my colo. So I'm considering that option.

Another option is to find a host with inexpensive dedicated servers that have OVZ or KVM available to run on them. Does such a provider exist? Any suggestions?

I couldn't find a section on LEB for dedicated servers.

Comments

• Because dedicated aren't Lowendboxes?

• You'll be able to install OVZ or KVM on any dedicated server, really.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Promox actually lets you do OVZ + KVM on the same gear if you can find a box that fits your needs :)

Francisco

• iweb.com has similar offers

• @NickM said: You'll be able to install OVZ or KVM on any dedicated server, really.

Are you sure?

• I don't see why not, assuming the server meets the requirements of whichever you use (KVM requires that the CPU support virtualization extensions, for example). For OpenVZ, all you're dong is installing a kernel that supports openvz and installing a few other packages - I did it on an old desktop machine and it worked just fine. I'm not sure what you have to install for KVM, but it should be pretty simple. You'd probably want to have an IP-KVM hooked up to the server in case you do screw up with the kernel and it doesn't want to boot, just to be safe.

• Because dedicated aren't Lowendboxes?

He's listed a couple of offers. I recall one having a lot of issues though and many people being ToS'ed for everything under the sun once they got their boxes months after being wait listed for them.

Doesn't OVH have very cheap boxes? Not sure what they put on them. I emailed sales about getting a rack through an European affiliate about six months ago but never heard back.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Hello all, depends on your price range. I tried to have LEA post an offer awhile back but my offerings were a little over the low end budget. However here they are: we have atoms for $30/month or E3's for $99.

If your interested you can email me, [email protected]

Regards,

Chris

• e3's for $99 what spec?

• @Francisco

So does OpenNode :P

• Also you may pick a few good hosts and contact their sales to see if they can do it.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@daimonb said: e3's for $99 what spec?

Please email me if interested.

Regards,

Chris