Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for a scalable vps solution
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

looking for a scalable vps solution

Hi
Ive got a joomla site that is just starting, so not that big. if it got much bigger can
anyone suggest a good solution like docker to easily migrate it to a faster server. Or
should i just pick a host that can upgrade my resource usage easily?
Thanks

Comments

• IgniteServersIgniteServers Member
    edited December 2015

What are you currently using right now? most host can simply upgrade your resources when needed, if anyone I would suggest RAMNODE simply cant go wrong with them and prices are very well with SSD drives. If you want something in the cloud try OVH.

Thanked by 1worldofjon
  • Hey.. you've prompted some good questions here.

Personally, I wouldn't want to use docker for a production environment, and especially not for a start-up Joomla website.

The best way is to start from a provider whom offers either on-demand or automatic scaling and then you're possiblities are endless, limitations non-existant :)

The best, cost effective solution is always to expand your infrastructure as you go along, and then develop your software around your environment - it makes things easier and enables realistic expectations.

This way 6 months down the line when your website is very busy, you'll know exactly what your infrastructure weaknesses are and what can be improved.

Thanked by 1worldofjon
  • im with ramnode right now but its renewal time

• @worldofjon said:
    im with ramnode right now but its renewal time

RAMNODE offers automatic upgrades right if I'm not mistaken?

• @IgniteServers said:
    RAMNODE offers automatic upgrades right if I'm not mistaken?

not sure, you could be right

• @worldofjon said:
    not sure, you could be right

I believe they do just go under services and look for an upgrade button.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited December 2015

Having had my VPS accidentally wiped clean by my provider and faced with the need for a better backup strategy (read: own snapshots), I have looked at Docker, LXC and settled on good old OpenVZ. Order a KVM, set up OpenVZ virtualization and install your application inside one or more containers. Use command line management for minimum overhead and enjoy total control in terms of scalability, portability and backups (essentially VPS clones). Not to mention opening a door to sophisticated options like separating apps, like the DB backend from the application, or running synched, remote clones, thus minimizing downtime in the event of interruption of service. Selecting a provider, remember that you will need a couple of add-on IP's (depending on the number of containers you will run). IPv4 scarcity aside, I need total portability, including the same IP address after migration, so I chose to play around with NAT. Plus a proxy to serve multiple websites (domains) using only one IPv4 on the host node.