Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pydio vs OwnCloud
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pydio vs OwnCloud

Hi,

I have just installed pydio and for some weird reason it is horribly slow. This virtual machine is dedicatedly only running pydio with no data right now since the install is new. But everything is slow.

The base machine is not slow, neither is my internet slow. Is Pydio crap ?
Should I use owncloud or anyother suggestion.

Thanks

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Perfectly fine performance for me. Have you attempted any troubleshooting steps? Tried on a different network, tested performance of the VM, etc?

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

To flash my signature, what exactly is slow on pydio?

I want to try it in a few months time, hence I'm asking.

I'm on owncloud crack atm.

Thanked by 1lifehome
  • The interface loading is slow. I mean you actually feel frustrated sometimes.

Thanked by 2GM2015 lifehome
  • That shouldn't be a concern. What matters is how it performs with sync and storage and security and etc.

darknessends said: The interface loading is slow. I mean you actually feel frustrated sometimes.

@darknessends said:
    The interface loading is slow. I mean you actually feel frustrated sometimes.

How did you install? Honestly I did straight repo install and it's been fine ever since. My installation isn't far from me physically though. Good old Dallas :)

• bruzlibruzli Member, LIR

I have 2 installs both fast, openvz

• Pydio has been great for me, no performance problems at all. You need to look at whats going on the box, what is the IO like?

• The title is a little misleading, it should be "Pydio running slow".

Anyway, in reference to what the title says what are you opinions on Pydio vs ownCloud?

I'm currently using ownCloud but I'm thinking of moving to another solution. Pydio being one of the options.

• Can I point everyone in a different direction for a moment? I want to introduce you to Seafile Cloud storage with client-side Encryption. I have been using Seafile since last year and it's been rock solid.

I have tried all of the other products and found them to be slow with the sync clienet or having the sync-client as an afterthought. Seafile is the cloestest and best self hosted alternative to dropbox. You lose out on some of the features that Owncloud offers (Contacts and plugins) but you get a solid sync service.

The encryption features are awesome they provide the pro version for free up to 3 users. Plus you can brand the whole service.

I am more than happy to answer any questions.

Thanked by 1apidevlab
  • @markturner: This is a private VM environment, I think VM is doing fine.

Thanked by 1afterSt0rm
  • IshaqIshaq Member
    edited December 2015

@jamesrat

When you say the pro version is free for 3 users, how do they limit the users? Is it closed source software or hosted by them?

• They have 2 versions the community version is opensource and unlimited. The pro-features are added from a different package and activate with a product key. When it starts it checks to see if you have a licenses file if not found it limits to 3 users.

License file /home/seafile/seafile-license.txt does not exist, allow at most 3 trial users

Features

Seafile is 100% useable with just the Community version.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • https://www.seafile.com/en/product/private_server/

Ishaq said: When you say the pro version is free for 3 users, how do they limit the users? Is it closed source software or hosted by them?

Thanked by 1MacPac
  • Ishaq said: When you say the pro version is free for 3 users, how do they limit the users? Is it closed source software or hosted by them?

Community Edition Free & Open Source
    Professional Edition Closed Source features with license verifcation

@jamesrat Thanks for sharing. I honestly haven't spent much time with Seafile. The web interface is nice. The sync client is a big deal, for sure. It really kind of overshadows the whole thing when sync fails.

• Is community edition equally fast too ?

• My Pydio's GUI seems getting slower as well. I will give Seafile a try.

• darknessends said: Is community edition equally fast too ?

There is no difference in the sync client with the PRO vs FREE other than a few features but the basic sync portion is used in both versions.

seikan said: My Pydio's GUI seems getting slower as well. I will give Seafile a try.

No slow downs for me. Seafile is the only service I can find that maxes my upload and download.

• What spec boxes are you all running on that say they are slowing down?

• Its a E3-1230 running almost idle, 4 VM, this one is 4GB+4GB = all free.

• Try seafile.. I think it's nice one.. also support mobile devices free..

• I tried Pydio a few weeks back and their sync client was awfully slow for me. Had no choice but to switch back to ownCloud.

• Minimum RAM to run a single-user instance?

Spinning one up on Wable to see what this is about.

• Tempted to try either of these. Any clear winner yet?

• @angrysnarl said:
    I tried Pydio a few weeks back and their sync client was awfully slow for me. Had no choice but to switch back to ownCloud.

I use Syncthing pointing at the same backend directory because the Sync clients for both Pydio and Owncloud turn into piles of turd once you start working with large files or folders with lots of files in.

• AmitzAmitz Member

I think that I have tried every single self-hosted solution on the planet in the meantime and - unfortunately - my verdict is that they ALL suck in one or another way. There is no contest winner at all. It highly depends on your special needs whether you will run across a sincere flaw or not, but they all are full of them.

After all testing and usage for several months, I came to the conclusion that my best option is to sync between my computers and my server via a commercial sync software (called "GoodSync"), which does a perfect job (unlike all those other clients) and have a PHP Filemanager panel in front for easy access, sharing and the rest.

If you don't need all that fancy "Group Collaboration" and "Extra Apps" stuff, then this simple solution might be best for you too.

• @dragon2611 said:
    I use Syncthing pointing at the same backend directory because the Sync clients for both Pydio and Owncloud turn into piles of turd once you start working with large files or folders with lots of files in.

I'm doing the same thing, currently using Pydio as front and Syncthing as backend

• Im watching infinit with interest if they manage to sort the performance issues it would be possible to replace all the Syncing with a cloud drive, then just have one of those "Drives" mounted on a box that uses something like pydio/owncloud for web access.

At the moment it chokes on directories with lots of files in though so it's not ready yet :-(

• dragon2611 said: At the moment it chokes on directories with lots of files in though so it's not ready yet :-(

Its also extremely sensitive to latency / packet loss.

• +1 for seafile because of file system encryption and fast performance than owncloud/etc..