Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your VPS with the best uptime?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your VPS with the best uptime?

chrispchrisp Member
edited December 2012 in General

Hi folks,

I am looking for a low end vps for monitoring my other low end vps'es. The i/o performance in fact is not important as well as the cpu and the size of the hdd.
The only thing that matters to me is uptime and availabilty (network), which provider can you recommend? Price should be between 1-3$/month. I am so angry not having ordered a 50 cent vps with prometeus earlyer as they won't offer this one ever again..so if anyone has one of them in spare, I'd be happy buy it from you :)

Best regards

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

What location(s) are you looking for? Not sure if it matters to you or not but I personally try to have my monitoring in the same state if possible.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited December 2012
    EvoRack in DC1- Xen
    Linux xxxxx.com 2.6.32-5-686-bigmem #1 SMP Mon Oct 3 05:03:32 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
    17:14:50 up 201 days,  2:50,  8 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

BHost - OpenVZ
    Linux server 2.6.18-308.8.2.el5.028stab101.1 #1 SMP Sun Jun 24 20:25:35 MSD 2012 i686 GNU/Linux
    12:21:22 up 129 days,  6:49,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Though neither of these fit your 3$/month budget it seems. These are my most stable servers though, and suprisingly both in the UK. If you are looking for a stable server, these are both super stable. The EvoRack one has only been rebooted once on me in 2 years and it was for planned maintenance.

• I like my BuyVM, Quickpacket and Ramnode boxes the most, but would just recommend Uptimerobot for monitoring unless you're doing a little project.

All my boxes: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1998652/uptime69.png

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited December 2012

RamHost. Their tinyvz.com brand fits your budget. My RamHost in KC:

[root@ram:~] uptime
     14:04:05 up 308 days, 18:10,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Last network downtime of any significance was 308 days ago, when everything was migrated to new hardware.....

• or you buy a dedicated server at kimsufi, run it.

• @KuJoe location doesn't matter at all, europe and north america should be fine as i am mainly interested in monitoring services not ping.

@herbyscrub from which tool is the report of all your vpes?

• RamNode :P

11:39:47 up 118 days,  2:23,  1 user,  load average: 0.04, 0.06, 0.03

• You can order a yearly 64MB or 128MB from us on our NY or UK node which has the best uptime (100%) till date.

http://annualvps.com

• My uptime monitor is with:

Hostigation
    GetKVM

They both have had amazing uptime.

my ZNC is with Prometeus (this has been up since I've bought it initially)

• Thank you for the mention :)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@TheHackBox said: RamNode :P

:)

@herbyscrub said: I like my BuyVM, Quickpacket and Ramnode boxes the most

:D

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@sleddog said: RamHost. Their tinyvz.com brand fits your budget. My RamHost in KC:

[root@ram:~] uptime

14:04:05 up 308 days, 18:10, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    Last network downtime of any significance was 308 days ago, when everything was migrated to new hardware.....

Seconding this. The uptime/availability for my RAM Host VPSes has been consistently great for the past 3 years. The only time anything ever really went down, was the migration that @sleddog mentioned (Kansas).

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@HalfEatenPie said: my ZNC is with Prometeus (this has been up since I've bought it initially)

95% of our KVM and 100% of Xen and vmware are up since have been setup, ovz has been plagued by reboots tho, it seems there are still exploits that can crash the kernel.
    Only our Biz plans have been up from start on OVZ together with some 6 or so of small servers on regular OVZ, the big ones have been rebooting at least once with only one exception.
    Soon we have 1 year uptime on some servers since we will be celebrating a year in the VPS market next month.

• @Maounique said: 95% of our KVM and 100% of Xen and vmware are up since have been setup, ovz has been plagued by reboots tho, it seems there are still exploits that can crash the kernel.

Funny thing is that my ZNC is on a 256mb KVM (obvious overkill). It hasn't gone down. At all. Never. Ever. (And I hope it remains that way! You guys rock!)

@GetKVM_Ash said: Thank you for the mention :)

Well, I haven't had any problems :)

• @HalfEatenPie said: Well, I haven't had any problems :)

Unfortunately it will have to go down for the Hypervisor01 migration on the 2nd of January :(

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Unfortunately it will have to go down for the Hypervisor01 migration on the 2nd of January :(

I did get that e-mail. Best of luck there!

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

We haven't had any downtime ;) I can give you a 256MB VPS for $1 if you want :)

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

I can do 256MB in LV for $6/quarter.

• XeiXei Member
    edited December 2012

@joepie91 said: downtime of any significance was 308 days ago, when everything was migrated to new hardware..... Seconding this. The uptime/availability for my RAM Host VPSes has been consistently great for the past 3 years. The only time anything ever really went down, was the migration that @sleddog mentioned (Kansas).

Wow that's really spectacular performance and what I was looking for. :) This thread has made me decide on Ram Host. I'm guessing can't go wrong with Atlanta or Germany for OpenVZ (just want the same uptime)? Wouldn't mind waiting for TinyVZ either depending on how long it is.

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited December 2012

@joepie91 said: Seconding this. The uptime/availability for my RAM Host VPSes has been consistently great for the past 3 years. The only time anything ever really went down, was the migration that @sleddog mentioned (Kansas).

Another vouch for RAM Host, downtime? It is not in their dictionary. My 2 VPS servers there have been down at the same maintenance as Sven's, but that was announced more than 2 months before.

• KrisKris Member
    edited December 2012

BuyVM & 1984.is (100+ days on multiple)

root@vps [~]# uptime
     21:09:35 up 110 days, 22:02,  1 user,  load average: 0.05, 0.05, 0.00

root@ny-backups [~]# uptime
     00:10:49 up 122 days, 20:31,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

• ShigawireShigawire Member
    edited December 2012

@herbyscrub said:

I like my BuyVM, Quickpacket and Ramnode boxes the most, but would just recommend Uptimerobot for monitoring unless you're doing a little project.

All my boxes: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1998652/uptime69.png

Can someone tell me which monitoring tool this is?

• @Shigawire said: Can someone tell me which monitoring tool this is?

Its his custom uptime monitoring tool.

• Ah, kay.

• XenVZ, lowendxen 2012 (offer still active, seems) -> 199 days

• Databasedesign

Current Server Time 2012-12-30 08:31:50
    Server Uptime 230Day20Hour1Minute

2nd best: Prometeus

Current Server Time 2012-12-31 08:11:52
    Server Uptime 198Day22Hour17Minute

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2012

My stablest LEB vps is old Syscental.de box ( 01:15:46 up 571 days, 13:54, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01) however from latest/active VPS offers I would suggest you the same as @Steve81 above. XenVZ (Maidenhead location) can easily reach over 200+ days of uptime.

256MB RAM - £15 GBP per 12 months (SPECIAL OFFER) - http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/175525

1GB RAM - £11.25 GBP per 3 months (SPECIAL OFFER) - http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/7001/openitc-kvm-offer-1gb-ram-75gb-disk-1000gb-monthly-1x-ipv4-2x-64-ipv6-in-maidenhead

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Spirit said: XenVZ (Maidenhead location) can easily reach over 200+ days of uptime.

This is why I love Xen. When moving out of VMWare, was a long trial of most technologies at that time (no OVZ nor KVM tested tho) and Xen went victorious by a large margin.
    KVM is also cool but Xen can give you both HVM and PV and is much older and more tested technology, even tho now seems to continue to innovate and soon will be the bleeding edge of free virtualization again.

• +1 for XenVZ, 252 days up.

• fanfan Veteran
    edited December 2012

My free one with dreamservers, beat this xD (I use this to monitor my other VPSs):

root@uk:~# uptime 21:52:38 up 361 days, 3:16, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

@Raymii said: RAM Host

Mine should have at least 200+ days if I didn't reboot it. Been with them for almost two years and they're just rock solid.