Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

unattended-upgrades
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

unattended-upgrades

Hi everyone,

I have Debian Jessie on my home computer and on two VPS. My others VPS are on Debian Wheezy. I configured unattended-upgrades using this:

sudo apt-get -y install unattended-upgrades

Activate mail report to user launch

sudo sed -i "s#\/\/Unattended-Upgrade::Mail\s.*#Unattended-Upgrade::Mail \"launch\";#g" /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades

dpkg-reconfigure -plow unattended-upgrades to create the 20auto-upgrades script

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow unattended-upgrades

Then, I waited 2 days and it works only on my home computer. Because /etc/cron.daily/apt is executable on my home machine and not the VPS. I know how to change the mod but I wonder why it is like that. Is the package modified on VPS?

Also, my OVH vps do not have an /etc/cron.daily/apt file but a /etc/cron.daily/apt-disabled.

I did the same step on all machines

Thanks

Comments

• unattended-upgrades is the most unstable package I know... sometimes it works.. sometimes it doesn't... now I just use an apt-get cron -.-

• user@debian:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
    61 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    Need to get 280 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 1,072 kB of additional disk space will be used.

I use apt-get update on cron, but not upgrade. On my desktop, upgrade would probably break virtualbox and who know what else on servers.

4n0nx said: apt-get cron

• GM2015 said: On my desktop, upgrade would probably break virtualbox and who know what else on servers.

For me, the only thing I'm really concerned about it breaking is my nvidia driver. Everything else I can monitor solidly.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • GM2015 said: I use apt-get update on cron, but not upgrade. On my desktop, upgrade would probably break virtualbox and who know what else on servers.

Has not broken anything at all for me in years ...

(but of course I have backups..:p)

• well, I just tested my arubacloud vps, it is the only one that come with executable right by default (and OVH but i need to rename apt.disabled to apt. I need to set +x on ramnode,buyvm,dacentec,prometeus. I would like to know why the providers thinks it is better to disable that however