Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

open source alternative to cPanel for my VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

open source alternative to cPanel for my VPS

ledzgioledzgio Member
edited December 2012 in General

I got a VPS today and now I would like to install something like cPanel but open. What I need to do is to manage apache2, ftp server, mail server, mysql and so on.

Any suggestion?

Comments

• zPanel, Kloxo, Webmin or wait for Neon

• I like zpanelcp but at the moment the installer for ubuntu is not available. What about Ajenti?

• You could use Webmin, although it's not the prettiest panel out there.

• Kloxo is what i use

• twaintwain Member
    edited December 2012

Ispconfig is great if you can follow a guide and are willing to put forth a small amount of effort

• kloxo seems to be not the best panel for ubuntu. I need one similar to cPanel but free, simple, low ram usage.

• zpanelcp, kloxo, webmin.

• Kloxo runs only on CentOS

• At your place id go with ISPConfig and start to learn how to manage vps without control panel
    Supported Linux Distributions:
    Debian 5 & 6 (recommended)
    Ubuntu 8.10 – 12.10 (recommended)
    CentOS 5.2 – 6.3
    Fedora 10 and 12-15
    OpenSuSE 11.1 – 12.2

• Kloxo. Some providers have template for that preinstalled

• @ledzgio said: I like zpanelcp but at the moment the installer for UBUNTU is not available.

@ledzgio you have to specify Ubuntu or CentOS path

• Out of the panels, if it is for your use only I would suggest webmin.

I've never really get on with panels, I much prefer to configure everything manually. In fact I find learning the ins and outs of panels more time consuming and confusing that just implementing everything manually.

• Using the very special OpenSSH control mechanism here, takes some time to learn, but afterwards is very intuitive and worth the effort :P (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSSH).

But if you insist, some of my VPSes run Ajenti:
    http://ajenti.org/

• @Raymii said: But if you insist, some of my VPSes run Ajenti:

Never used Ajenti before. It looks great :)

• last time I checked, Ajenti had almost no functionality

• @ShardHost said: Never used Ajenti before. It looks great :)

It also is great, and very very lightweight on resources.

@gubbyte said: last time I checked, Ajenti had almost no functionality

Care to elaborate? It does package management, user management, hardware(network) and even some software like apache?

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited December 2012

@ledzgio Kloxo comes the closest so far to the Cpanel feel in my honest opinion but there has been a potential security issue with them in September or some users have complained about being hacked and as far as I can tell, there hasn't been any updates to fix the issue. Check out their forums since I haven't been keeping up to date with the issue for more details. Good luck!

• N_SerianN_Serian Member
    edited December 2012

I would have to agree with the vast majority here, Kloxo. Or spend a few bucks on DirectAdmin. I tested ZPanel last month and found it buggy, I think it needs lots of improvement before it will actually gain some trust in the market.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

A piece of me dies every time someone suggests Kloxo :P

+1 for Ajenti. It's just "enough" to get the job done.

• http://forum.lxcenter.org/index.php?t=msg&th=19215&prevloaded=1&;

there is a fix by the look of it the main hack is caused by users on the server already it seems

• I'd also like to point out that the guys running Ajenti are putting in some really awesome features and improvements which you can take a look at by either pulling their ng branch on GitHub or taking a look at the screenshot snippets they've been posting via Twitter.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

VirtualMin?

• Tried Ajenti, it was useless, unable to remove plugin.

• @jarland said: A piece of me dies every time someone suggests Kloxo :P

Hehe why?

• I also am one of those who tried Ajenti and could not make use of it. I m not saying it is not worth a try. I believe it was me who could not make a good use of it. ISPConfig was hard to install for rookies like me, imho.

I ve also tried zpanel, but after some warning about its security holes, I ve switched to free version of Webuzo on my one VPS. And using Plesk 11 on my other VPS (paid)

• bigcatbigcat Member
    edited December 2012

@ledzgio said: I like zpanelcp but at the moment the installer for ubuntu is not available.

ZPanel does have Ubuntu installer, refer here. However email server isn't working out-of-the-box and I don't bother trying to fix it. CentOS installer is flawless for me.

Edit : oopss my bad...didn't check the link. Ubuntu installer is indeed not available at the moment. No wonder some features doesn't work when I tested it on my VPS few days ago