Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PHP 7 is out. anybody is using 6? I'm still using 5.2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PHP 7 is out. anybody is using 6? I'm still using 5.2

lewissuelewissue Member
edited December 2015 in General

People have not yet changed to 5.6 or 6.0 or something before these developers made 7.0

Comments

• namhuynamhuy Member
    edited December 2015

There is no 6 (google it for reason), straight from 5 to 7.

Why 7? new features! faster!

• lewissuelewissue Member
    edited December 2015

@namhuy said:
    There is no 6 (google it for reason), straight from 5 to 7.

Why 7? new features! faster!

come on, updating will only cause trouble

3 months before I bought a Shared Hosting, it is with PHP5.6

i uploaded my scripts and it can't work

so I bought a VPS and installed 5.2 myself, it works

Almost all scripts are compatiable with 5.2, and there's no big bugs with it

doing a updating has really no usage

• most newer scripts support newer php versions, if your scripts don't run well with newer php versions then your scripts need to be updated

• I thought shared hosting have multiple php...

• months to year and then will use php 7.

i think it depends on our development project, like im use laravel so im stick on php 5.5/5.6

for shared hosting maybe, php 5.3/5.4 is more than enough.

• I think it will take years to have all supported PHP apps to become compatible with PHP 7.

Personally, I will wait for several minor updates of it (I am sure there will be quite a bunch of bugs fixed) without using in production.

Thanked by 1Rolter
  • RolterRolter Member
    edited December 2015

@Master_Bo said:
    I think it will take years to have all supported PHP apps to become compatible with PHP 7.

Personally, I will wait for several minor updates of it (I am sure there will be quite a bunch of bugs fixed) without using in production.

This

It is not a good idea to update a live project to a bleeding edge tech , i will wait a few months and first test all my live projects in a test environment with PHP 7.

For any new projects , going to test on both php5.6 and 7 and take it from their.

• CFarenceCFarence Member
    edited December 2015

I'm still running php 5 dot something, didn't even know php 6 was out let alone 7 :)

• CFarence said: didn't even know php 6 was out

there is NO 6

• PHP 6 never came out. Don't bother upgrading to PHP7 just yet, give it a few months, maybe an year until frameworks start supporting it completely.

Ofcourse, if you're building a framework, you might want to build it on PHP7 but you would still have to provide backward compatibility to old PHP versions for years.

Thanked by 2geekalot Rolter
  • RalliasRallias Member
    edited December 2015

andiklive said: for shared hosting maybe, php 5.3/5.4 is more than enough.

Once EA4 gains public adoption, it won't matter what the host thinks is "enough".

Although, in due fairness, at least get up to a supported release.

• @CFarence said:
    I'm still running php 5 dot something, didn't even know php 6 was out let alone 7 :)

we are same

• @Rallias said:
    Although, in due fairness, at least get up to a supported release.

Perks of a php selector :)

• NetworkPandaNetworkPanda Member
    edited December 2015

Currently using PHP 5.5.
    PHP 7 will need several months to be fully tested, scripts to be updated for compatibility and to be implemented into major control panels such as cPanel EasyApache, Plesk etc. Don't expect PHP 7 to be widely used before 2018...

• NetworkPanda said: PHP 7 will need several months to be fully tested, scripts to be updated

yup agree, https://www.namhuy.net is running on php 7, I just upgraded from 5.6 to 7 last few hours. For some reason my web server is down for like 40 mins until I restart php-fpm server. I will keep my eyes on the server for the next few days.

• n1kkon1kko Member
    edited December 2015

Most scripts run on PHP 5.4 & 5.5!

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

If you are a hosting owner and do not provide php selector then PHP5 is best for you. Also many of script and plugin does not support 7.

• namhuy said: yup agree, https://www.namhuy.net is running on php 7, I just upgraded from 5.6 to 7 last few hours. For some reason my web server is down for like 40 mins until I restart php-fpm server. I will keep my eyes on the server for the next few days.

Did you do any kind of speedtests before and after the update? Also, the fact that you're running WordPress, any issues you came across with it? They've been preparing for php7 for months.

• I do not like to see "Internal Server Error 500" so I'll stick with the more stable and supported PHP 5.4/5.5

• Whats new in this version?

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited December 2015

TheKiller said: Whats new in this version?

LOTS! That's why it's a major version bump. I'm too lazy, so I'll just include links:

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • I'm guessing it's bad I haven't upgraded from 4.4.9 yet?

• I'm using the default Debian 8 and Ubuntu 14.04 repos...I like to keep the majority of my packages in line with the default distro's packaging.

• Unfortunately memcache isn't yet included in the dotdeb packages and my site uses ioncube so I'd have to work around that as well.
    Will probably use php7 and then php5 for the ioncube application if that's possible.

• I'm using PHP 7 since its beta and had no major issues with Laravel.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Just this week I ran into the issue with the disabled "<?" in 5.6, while moving a very old website to a Debian Jessie system. The website failed in the worst way possible, instead of the user content it was just displaying a part of its PHP source-code (and I only found out a couple of days later). They really seem to have fun breaking things for no particular reason. Not going to use the 7th version until at least a few years later.

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

Using php 7 on my wordpress site, so far no issue till now.

• rm_ said: Just this week I ran into the issue with the disabled "<?" in 5.6, while moving a very old website to a Debian Jessie system.

I'd say something was wrong with your website and not with PHP if it was still using <?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

srvrpro said: something was wrong with your website and not with PHP

It was working all along. Only the PHP version change broke it -- simple as that.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

namhuy said: There is no 6 (google it for reason)

I did. The first result reminded me again why it's impossible to have any pride or self-worth if you code in php.

https://philsturgeon.uk/php/2013/01/26/php-6-pissing-in-the-wind/