Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadowsocks Author Forced To Delete Project By Chinese Police
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shadowsocks Author Forced To Delete Project By Chinese Police

Couldn't find much more information on github: link

This article had some more info though: link

Project backup: link

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Again? How many times will the police show up before they stop asking?

• @KuJoe said:
    Again? How many times will the police show up before they stop asking?

I believe that it's been 4 times so far =)

• At least they didn't take all his electronics and arrest him.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • I hope he continues to contribute to the clone anonymously :p

Thanked by 2miTgiB ATHK
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

AFAIK this is not recent news? The article is from August when police visited the original developer.

No one has been maintaining the project since then.

• @Nyr said:
    No one has been maintaining the project since then.

The guy who is developing Android console is still working on...

The SS project: a new console known as SSR appears, the developer is a young girl.

• @XIAOSpider97 said:
    young girl

I like these two words, in one sentence XD

• I can't understand why you need shadowsocks & goagent these stuffs when bitvise is free for use and it's easier then ss & goa

• Hum, why would that be better than, let say ssh as a socks proxy?

• john564john564 Member
    edited December 2015

@2bb3 said:
    Hum, why would that be better than, let say ssh as a socks proxy?

it has multi socket connections, the Chinese can throttle ssh speed down to it being useless.
    The fact that they took the unusual step of actually going to his house to stop him, meant
    their technically could not.

Pity shadowvpn didn't get finished, it was also suppose to be multi socket.

• john564 said: it has multi socket connections, the Chinese can throttle ssh speed down to it being useless. The fact that they took the unusual step of actually going to his house to stop him, meant their technically could not.

Why not use your power to force out one competitor out of the avoid the censorship arms race? More resources for the arms race against the the guys outside china e.g. the TOR Project.

• @2bb3 said:

I think these are the 2 main differences:

Bleeding edge techniques using Asynchronous I/O and Event-driven programming.

And :

Flexible Encryption. Secured with industry level encryption algorithm. Flexible to support custom algorithms.

SSH has encryption but I don't think its very customizable, or not that easy as shadowsocks at least.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited December 2015

funyuns_are_awesome said: Project backup: link

Does anyone have one with a full git history?

EDIT: Full authoritative in the master branch.

EDIT 2: I forked in case they wipe history. https://github.com/rallias/shadowsocks I've got a local backup aswell.

• @2bb3 said:

Because ssh protocol is effectively dead in China. Small traffic is fine, but for large traffic, dead.

• @lewissue said:
    I can't understand why you need shadowsocks & goagent these stuffs when bitvise is free for use and it's easier then ss & goa

I'm not sure that's the reason this thread is here. More about china's censoring of even this

• TheRedFoxTheRedFox Member
    edited December 2015

@lewissue said:
    I can't understand why you need shadowsocks & goagent these stuffs when bitvise is free for use and it's easier then ss & goa

bitvise

for windows

No.

• @Rallias said:
    EDIT 2: I forked in case they wipe history. https://github.com/rallias/shadowsocks I've got a local backup aswell.

Thanks for this

• SS-libdev is a better fork, more powerful.

• @msg7086 said:
    Because ssh protocol is effectively dead in China. Small traffic is fine, but for large traffic, dead.

really? may be it's dead in your area, but it's not dead here in Shandong

• Is there a fork which continues the development of ss? There are so many forks right now, Github is unable to display the fork graph.

• @pechspilz said:
    Is there a fork which continues the development of ss? There are so many forks right now, Github is unable to display the fork graph.

Shadowsocks-rss, this is that young girl's project...

• @lewissue said:
    really? may be it's dead in your area, but it's not dead here in Shandong

Try harder and you will eventually find out.