Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More vulnerabilities in Dell, Lenovo and Toshiba software
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

More vulnerabilities in Dell, Lenovo and Toshiba software

joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
edited December 2015 in General

Round five! After Dell had an oops again, now it's three vendors...

RoL presents to you 2015-12 three OEM fails at once!

A UAC bypass in Dell System Detect...
A SYSTEM registry read in Toshiba Service Station...
And a local privesc in Lenovo Solution Center!

More: http://rol.im/oemdrop/

If you're still running on an OEM installation of Windows, now would be a good time to replace it...

Comments

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

I trust microsoft. So many highly skilled employees with Billed Gates cannot be wrong or be capable of putting out vulnerable software.

• hehe, nice tune! I especially like the ending.

• OEM Windows != Software. You can just run PC Decrapifier to pick what programs you want to uninstall in one shot. You can also browse "Programs & Features" in the Control Panel to achieve the same thing. I just like PC Decrapifier since it creates System Restore points.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@techhelper1 said:
    OEM Windows != Software. You can just run PC Decrapifier to pick what programs you want to uninstall in one shot. You can also browse "Programs & Features" in the Control Panel to achieve the same thing. I just like PC Decrapifier since it creates System Restore points.

No, you can't, because 1) you don't know whether your system has been compromised due to these vulnerabilities and 2) you don't know how deeply it has embedded itself into your system. Treat it like malware.

Thanked by 1Upstage
  • Can we quit fucking calling these "vulnerabilities" and start calling them what they actually are?

MALWARE.

Seriously.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Rallias said: MALWARE

Granted that's what we've always called them so maybe we have to switch words to draw attention this time? :P

Thanked by 1netomx
  • What's Windows 10 preinstalled on a Dell computer?

• Reinstall Windows.

I had reinstalled the day I bought my Laptop. I don't like pre-installed crapware on PCs.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Just copy C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository to a flash drive. Run a clean install. Go into device manager and update all outdated drivers and unknown devices selecting the flash drive to search.

• @classy said:
    Just copy C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository to a flash drive. Run a clean install. Go into device manager and update all outdated drivers and unknown devices selecting the flash drive to search.

This is actually a neat trick. Wish i had know when i used to use Windows

Thanked by 2netomx 4n0nx
  • Wooot. That folder would have literally save tons of time back in the windows days.

classy said: Just copy C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository to a flash drive. Run a clean install. Go into device manager and update all outdated drivers and unknown devices selecting the flash drive to search.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Use linux

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • And, this is one of the reasons I always build custom computers for myself and run Debian on them all or opensuse

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @GCat said:
    or opensuse

If an OSS or GNU distro was called ClosedSuse, would you use it?

• @deadbeef said:
    If an OSS or GNU distro was called ClosedSuse, would you use it?

I am using Kali linux with much pleasure, even those the name is rather hideous.

Oh, another good name: HideousSuse.

Thanked by 1GCat
  • deadbeef said: If an OSS or GNU distro was called ClosedSuse, would you use it?

It's simply called Suse.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@linuxthefish said:
    Use linux

U wot? Windows has better graphic driver support as linux, yes it improved, yes more games run on linux as before but, still crappy performance when i compare dualboot pc with windows vs linux.

• @Infinity580 said:
    Windows has better graphic driver support as linux

Wait, there's a GUI on Linux?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@deadbeef said:
    Wait, there's a GUI on Linux?

• First thing I always do on a new laptop is reinstall a fresh copy of Windows anyway

• Infinity580 said: U wot? Windows has better graphic driver support as linux, yes it improved, yes more games run on linux as before but, still crappy performance when i compare dualboot pc with windows vs linux.

Nvidia has great driver support for Linux, just install kernel headers, download the executable and run it. I've only used it for cuda support, I don't know how it compares for gaming.

• linuxthefish said: Nvidia has great driver support for Linux, just install kernel headers, download the executable and run it. I've only used it for cuda support, I don't know how it compares for gaming.

Single card and not more than 3 screens, yes.

On dual cards (without SLI/CF) and 4+ screens in total (either on 2+ cards or a Matrox card) linux... fails. I tried hard and long, without success.