Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Location Matters?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Location Matters?

papadockpapadock Member
edited December 2015 in Help

Good Day to all. I decide to get a Dedicated Server from Datashack and Kimsufi. I have 2 social network site ready to live on this coming jan. 2016 and this site is exclusively to all Filipino only but International. Most user using this site is located in the Philippines and I just want to know if location matters if my dedicated server is running from L.A and Chicago? Thank You guys and I apologize to my English. I appreciate your help and suggestions.

Comments

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

It depends whether the target audience is only Filipinos or also international as you contradict yourself when you say it's exclusively for Filipinos but then say 'international'. If the majority of visitors will be Filipino then you'd benefit from using LA for lower latency compared to Chicago, the latency increase to Chicago wouldn't be awful but it's not worth having if you can avoid it by going to LA instead.

Thanked by 1papadock
  • Well, location matters in your case I think.
    I would suggest doing a sime ping / traceroute first to all the datacenters you want a server in to get a rough understanding of how well the connectivity is.
    As I blindly connect "social network" with many small & asynchronous calls and JS, you might want so look for a lowest possible ping.

Thanked by 1papadock
  • @SpartanHost said:
    It depends whether the target audience is only Filipinos or also international as you contradict yourself when you say it's exclusively for Filipinos but then say 'international'. If the majority of visitors will be Filipino then you'd benefit from using LA for lower latency compared to Chicago, the latency increase to Chicago wouldn't be awful but it's not worth having if you can avoid it by going to LA instead.

Thank You @SpartanHost. Yes Majority is Filipino visitors. Thank You for your suggestion

• @Bochi said:
    Well, location matters in your case I think.
    I would suggest doing a sime ping / traceroute first to all the datacenters you want a server in to get a rough understanding of how well the connectivity is.
    As I blindly connect "social network" with many small & asynchronous calls and JS, you might want so look for a lowest possible ping.

Thank You so Much @Bochi. Another wonderful Idea and suggestion

• You should be in LA using someone that has good Asian routing. There are providers that advertise optimized Asian connections.

If you are in Chicago or KC you are adding another 50ms ping time at least to an already big 200-300ms ping time to the PI.

Thanked by 1papadock
  • do you believe your users will be affected by latency of 200ms to 300ms? latency will be like blinking a couple of times.........

Thanked by 1papadock
  • If latency to Singapore and hong kong is good, you could serve your static assets from a subdomain hosted on on a SG/HK vps.

(until your revenue can afford a leaseweb dedi in SG)

Thanked by 1papadock
  • AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited December 2015

papadock said: Most user using this site is located in the Philippines and I just want to know if location matters if my dedicated server is running from L.A and Chicago?

Location matters a little. You can shave a few 100ms from page loads if you buy a server closer to home. I suggest pinging test IPs in various parts of the world. See which locations have the lowest latency from the Philippines. Then see if you can afford hosting there.

You can also look into CDNs. They will serve static files from servers closest to your users. Cloudflare is a free CDN and there are commercial ones as well.

Thanked by 1papadock
  • LA and chicago are almost same, but if it's chicago and atlanta then it matters

Thanked by 1papadock
  • sman said: You should be in LA using someone that has good Asian routing. There are providers that advertise optimized Asian connections.

That's a scam. They just ping back / ICMP echo at their routers in Asia, but nothing else is "optimized" but the ping times.

Minify your CSS and JS. Set proper HTTP caching headers and enable gzip server side compression for HTML. You'll be good to go.

• Of course it matters. Response time is very important.
    If I were you I would choose Asia based server.

Thanked by 1papadock
  • Los Angeles, has peering with PLDT, Globe, Smart and almost ISP's and such good connectivity. Filipino here.

Thanked by 1papadock
  • @hyena56 said:
    Los Angeles, has peering with PLDT, Globe, Smart and almost ISP's and such good connectivity. Filipino here.

Thank You so much kabayan. I get a lot of idea. I appreciate your help.

• You help me a lot guys! I'm Up to this community forum. I really appreciate your advice.

• I'm in the Philippines and I usually get a good ping to DigitalOcean's Singapore DC last time I had a droplet there. You could try to see your hops to closer locations.

Thanked by 1papadock