Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HitLeap released Linux viewer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HitLeap released Linux viewer

VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

Just a heads up to providers who don't permit traffic exchange, or to update your terms if you don't offer Windows services. I assume a lot of people are going to start (ab)using Linux/OpenVZ now since it ends up being more economical.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Awesome /s

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

Well we used to run it without windows in linux using wine already well not much of a surprise.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

BharatB said: Well we used to run it without windows in linux using wine already well not much of a surprise.

I would assume HitLeap's official viewer for Linux would make it possible to run on smaller budget plans and make it more popular either way. I guess we'll see how this affects things.

• I really don't know why providers won't permit traffic exchange, can anyone please clarify why exactly ?

@VirMach said:
    I would assume HitLeap's official viewer for Linux would make it possible to run on smaller budget plans and make it more popular either way. I guess we'll see how this affects things.

It will however abuse IO at a vast rate not to mention cpu because of the GNU requirement clearly not something for OVZ maybe digital ocean :P

dotted said: I really don't know why providers won't permit traffic exchange, can anyone please clarify why exactly ?

It trashes the server's I/O at the expense of every other customer. It also uses a fair amount of processing power. Just imagine loading a new website every few seconds.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2015

Well, crap.

dotted said: I really don't know why providers won't permit traffic exchange, can anyone please clarify why exactly ?

I doubt any provider selling non-shared resources has a problem with it as long as it doesn't get abuse.

Third worlders hogging shared resources on $1/month and trying to scam advertisers are a very different thing.

• @VirMach said:
    It trashes the server's I/O at the expense of every other customer. It also uses a fair amount of processing power. Just imagine loading a new website every few seconds.

BharatB said: It will however abuse IO at a vast rate not to mention cpu because of the GNU requirement clearly not something for OVZ maybe digital ocean :P

Trashes server's I/O ? I didn't know those were shared ;)
    Also, what's wrong with loading a new website every few seconds ? as long as it's not illegal, why would you care ?

So providers who oversell won't like it, not because it's harmful but because their services are already SHIT. COOL!

• Nyr said: I doubt any provider selling non-shared resources has a problem with it as long as it doesn't get abuse.

Third worlders hogging shared resources on $1/month and trying to scam advertisers are a very different thing.

Exactly, THANK YOU!

• could it be run in a ramdisk, no?

Thanked by 1Anna_Parker
    edited December 2015

@dotted said:
    So providers who oversell won't like it, not because it's harmful but because their services are already SHIT. COOL!

See a hitleap only server the hoster wont have an issue , but putting hitleapers together with normal customers you're bound to loose it.

EDIT: I usually sell hitleap optimized dedis to my customers so that nothing except hitleaps run on it.

dotted said: So providers who oversell won't like it, not because it's harmful but because their services are already SHIT. COOL!

All providers in the world do oversell.

HitLeap is crap and should be erased from the face of the earth.

• @Virmach : thanks for the heads up, do you allow hitleap for linux on all your plans?

BharatB said: I usually sell hitleap optimized dedis to my customers

Oh, God...

Thanked by 1Admiral_Awesome
  • @BharatB said:

Well, that will only mean that the provider is an overselling scammer :)

dotted said: scammer

Just like 99 % of the HitLeap users?

• BharatB said: EDIT: I usually sell hitleap optimized dedis to my customers so that nothing except hitleaps run on it.

So, criticizing Hitleap users while promoting your own "custom" Hitleap offers in the same post ? Not a scammer, totally ...

edited December 2015

JoeMerit said: @Virmach : thanks for the heads up, do you allow hitleap for linux on all your plans?

We do not allow traffic exchange.

dotted said: Trashes server's I/O ? I didn't know those were shared ;) Also, what's wrong with loading a new website every few seconds ? as long as it's not illegal, why would you care ?

I'm not sure you understand. Let's say a provider has 1TBx4 SSD, with about 1.7TB of free space, 10K IOPS @ 32KB and 1000MB/s write. If they sell 51 people 33.3GB disk space each, that is not overselling. The disk I/O is going to be shared in a virtual environment. However, just a few of those 51 customers can completely still hog the I/O with HitLeap - the actual capability of the drives, not just storage amount. So it's not illegal, I'm letting you know why some hosts do not permit it.

I haven't seen any VPS provider advertise how much "dedicated" write speed you receive, or anything like that, with throttling. Is this what you are suggesting?

Thanked by 1sambling
  • Just out of curiosity, how people make profits with HitLeap? They exchange the traffic so as to bring more traffic for their affiliation site? It is economically more sensible to buy the traffic instead of exchanging?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2015

Nyr said: HitLeap is crap and should be erased from the face of the earth

This x1000. Things like hitleap are why we can't have nice things. Driving out ad revenue as a valid method for getting paid to write content, all for a quick buck today, will have lasting negative impacts on the internet as a whole. I'm convinced of that. Don't sell out the future for a quick buck.

It's no better than the SEO people who, if we didn't have people constantly working against them, would literally demolish the internet as we know it by making it virtually impossible to find anything of value.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@dotted said:
    So, criticizing Hitleap users while promoting your own "custom" Hitleap offers in the same post ? Not a scammer, totally ...

Well think what you want currently hitleaper's count has gone down with introduction of slot based sessions only few genuine customers left, I mean they pay for what they want.

Well on the scammer's part I don't want to comment I know what I am and most of the people here do, I'll just pass.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

root@server:~# curl https://hitleap.com
    < meta content='Free Website Traffic in minutes. HitLeap provides a traffic exchange service that helps you to increase visitors, rankings and more.' name='description'>

Ah. It's probably used people who are paid on a impression basis, since general bot traffic doesn't click and buy on ads and affiliate links. Does hitleap click on outbound links or just hops to the next url to visit in the swarm?

I can imagine some people joining with a shortening url and driving hitleap to it for pennies.

Examples of some url shortening advertising networks:
    http://www.safetricks.com/best-url-shortener-earn-money/

Adfly is old and one of the best trusted company which is pays on time. You can get approx $5 per 1000 views by promoting your shorten URL.

No wonder why linkfarm and adware sites like Forbes shove ads into your face.

• blackblack Member
    edited December 2015

They usually get paid on per-view basis. Even a few pennies can add up to a lot when you have multiple VPSes running, visiting websites 24x7. Ad companies are losing money because these are not real views, people paying this ad company to advertise their products are not getting their monies worth. The people generating automated traffic and hit leap themselves are getting paid for pushing out fake views. CPU, I/O, bandwidth, electricity are not going to a good cause. Seeing hitleap push out a linux client will only re-enforce these negative concepts.

• Do you think the likes of taboola and outbrain uses hitleap too? They're display advertising networks.

black said: see above

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Hopefully providers will report these (ab)users to FraudRecord to give the rest of us a heads up. :)

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • GM2015 said: Do you think the likes of taboola and outbrain uses hitleap too? They're display advertising networks.

I believe at least a part of the "hits" they deliver is automated. It doesn't necessary have to be via hitleap, for example malware that opens ads and such. I hear there are instances where ISPs inject ads into a website that initially doesn't have any ads at all.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Because it's lame.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jarland said: This x1000. Things like hitleap are why we can't have nice things. Driving out ad revenue as a valid method for getting paid to write content, all for a quick buck today, will have lasting negative impacts on the internet as a whole. I'm convinced of that. Don't sell out the future for a quick buck.

Meh. The Web was just fine before advertising. It would be fine without it.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • @raindog308 said:

South park latest season ?

• Wonder if i could make then view my 100mb test file ;)

Thanked by 1netomx
This discussion has been closed.