Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

create bash on Linux VPS that will open and close firefox every X sec (like bat file on windows
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

create bash on Linux VPS that will open and close firefox every X sec (like bat file on windows

asrafedenasrafeden Member
edited December 2015 in Help

create bash file/ script on Linux VPS that will open and close firefox every X sec (3600 sec +-) + run imacro file like bat file on windows.
how can i do it?
thanks for help all!

Comments

• While loop + sleep. Why do you need to do this?

• jlayjlay Member
    edited December 2015

Here you go:

while true ; do sleep 3600 ; echo "starting firefox" ; firefox ; done

It's crude and only opens firefox every 3,600 seconds. You can add 'killall firefox' if you want to do housecleaning and get rid of existing instances before starting a new one. That would look something like this:

while true ; do sleep 3600 ; echo "killing existing firefox instances" ; killall firefox ; echo "starting firefox" ; firefox ; done

I haven't really tested this but let me know if it works as intended.

• Since you just edited.. If you need ~ 3600sec, you can also use cron? Run hourly and done.

• asrafedenasrafeden Member
    edited December 2015

@TheOnlyDK said:
    While loop + sleep. Why do you need to do this?

thanks but how its works? i never use Linux... i edit my post... i need it to run imacro.

@tehmaggot said:
    Here you go:

while true ; do sleep 5 ; echo "starting firefox" ; firefox ; done

It's crude and only opens firefox every five seconds. You can add 'killall firefox' if you want to do housecleaning and get rid of existing instances before starting a new one. That would look something like this:

while true ; do sleep 5 ; echo "killing existing firefox instances" ; killall firefox ; echo "starting firefox" ; firefox ; done

I haven't really tested this but let me know if it works as intended.

i edit my post, i need it to run imacro when its open firefox...
    can you tell me how its works?
    for example on windows i do that do open and close firefox + run imacro:
    1. create fill (Notepad) and write that:
    @echo off
    :loop
    cls
    taskkill /F /IM Firefox.exe
    cls
    taskkill /F /IM crashreporter.exe
    cls
    ping 192.0.2.2 -n 1 -w 4000 > nul
    set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
    start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p firefox imacros://run/?m=XXXXX.iim
    ping 192.0.2.2 -n 1 -w 30000 > nul
    set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=
    ping 192.0.2.2 -n 1 -w 1200000 > nul
    goto loop

http://prntscr.com/99xs9e

1. save as a XXX.bat and run.

how its works on linux?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Ot is obviously why he needs it

• @asrafeden said:
    how its works on linux?

Sadly I'm not familiar with iMacro or how Windows scripts work, so I can't even confidently guess. Hopefully somebody else can help you out there!

• Use crontab, something like:

• 10killall -9 firefox ; sleep 5 ;firefox url.com
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

linuxthefish said: Use crontab, something like:

10killall -9 firefox ; sleep 5 ;firefox url.com

You'd probably need to set DISPLAY to launch firefox.

Why do I suspect the OP is engineering some sort of crappy ad-revenue-traffic-generating lameness...

• raindog308 said: Why do I suspect the OP is engineering some sort of crappy ad-revenue-traffic-generating lameness...

That's what I thought too.