Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux Kernel Optimizations and Tricks + I/O schedulers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linux Kernel Optimizations and Tricks + I/O schedulers

OttoYiuOttoYiu Member
edited December 2012 in General

Hello LET,

I'm in the progress of compiling some linux kernels for my KVM LEBs with grsecurity; When it comes to optimizations however, I am quite clueless as to what should be done and there aren't much resources out there...

What are some tricks/optimizations that you usually do, and why do you do it (benefits for websites, etc)? eg. enable tickless system (dynamic ticks) for game server hosting.

Edit: Also, outside of the kernel, it'll be interesting to see what I/O scheduler fits best for your use case. (CFQ/anticipatory/deadline/noop)

It'll be interesting to see what tricks everyone has up their sleeves.

Comments

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited December 2012

@OttoYiu said: When it comes to optimizations however, I am quite clueless as to what should be done and there aren't much resources out there...

That's because there is no need to optimize a kernel, or even compile one for that matter. Using a kernel you compiled yourself does not make you a special little snowflake.

Optimize the software you're running; not the kernel.

• @gubbyte said: That's because there is no need to optimize a kernel, or even compile one for that matter. Using a kernel you compiled yourself does not make you a special little snowflake.

I need to patch up the kernel with grsecurity (custom settings) to begin with, so not compiling a kernel is out of the question.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2012

@OttoYiu said: Edit: Also, outside of the kernel, it'll be interesting to see what I/O scheduler fits best for your use case. (CFQ/anticipatory/deadline/noop)

You should always set the scheduler to noop inside your VPSes (Xen/KVM), because there's already a scheduler on the host node, and running the same alghorithm twice (or even two different ones over each other) only makes things worse; noop usually gives a very nice I/O boost.

Also I love Xen/KVM due to the fact I can run the absolutely latest kernel versions (3.7.1 currently), and the new kernels are generally just faster and better than older ones -- especially compared to OpenVZ where everyone is stuck with that ancient 2.6.18/2.6.32 crap.

• OttoYiuOttoYiu Member
    edited December 2012

@rm_ said: You should always set the scheduler to noop inside your VPSes (Xen/KVM), because there's already a scheduler on the host node, and running the same alghorithm twice (or even two different ones over each other) only makes things worse; noop usually gives a very nice I/O boost.

That's a great idea and explanation! I've only had noop set on SSDs in physical servers, but I never thought of setting them on VPSes. I'll definitely go ahead and change the them right now.

• For a Debian kernel these defaults can be changed.
    Unselect Optimize for size if you're happy with a larger kernel which will be faster.
    Processor Family - change this to match your cpu .
    Maximum number of cpu's reduce this from 32 to match the number of cores you have - just saves some memory. Or increase it if you have more than 32 cpu's.
    Preemption model - change to No forced preemption (Server).

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

noop is a good idea. If the host has write caching protection (BBU, etc), you can do barrier=0 or nobarrier in /etc/fstab for a mounting option. noatime is another good mounting option.

• @Keith said: For a Debian kernel these defaults can be changed.

Unselect Optimize for size if you're happy with a larger kernel which will be faster.
    Processor Family - change this to match your cpu .
    Maximum number of cpu's reduce this from 32 to match the number of cores you have - just saves some memory. Or increase it if you have more than 32 cpu's.
    Preemption model - change to No forced preemption (Server).

I'll try that out; what are the pros+cons for disabling forced preemption in a LAMP environment?

@amarc said: [small offtopic] Patching kernel with grsec is useles if you dont rebuild whole thing (system with every piece of it) with grsec enabled gcc.. And that is pretty much useles on binary distro. You should either use Gentoo Hardened which is only distro that did this proper or look for something like Tomoyo or SELinux which does things well. I play with Gentoo Hardened for long time and I can tell you it's pain if you gonna use it in shared enviroment..

I use grsecurity mainly for additional chroot security, and to prevent users from seeing other users' processes. In that case, grsecurity is probably fine for my use case? I'll have a read on Hardened Gentoo. Thanks for the input!

@Nick_A said: noop is a good idea. If the host has write caching protection (BBU, etc), you can do barrier=0 or nobarrier in /etc/fstab for a mounting option. noatime is another good mounting option.

Outside of VMs, would you say it is safe to do barrier=0 on the node itself? (assuming it has a hardware raid card with a bbu) also, what are performance gains of doing so?