Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Migration time for reseller accounts
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Migration time for reseller accounts

ct_txct_tx Member
edited December 2015 in Help

Greetings!

I have a question about time taken for migrating accounts from one WHM/cPanel server to another.

I recently signed up for a reseller account with a provider who provides services to migrate accounts from my existing WHM server. The migration process creates a backup of accounts on the "old" server and then moves them to the "new" server. These backups will eventually be restored. The first backups were created around 1:30 this morning (CST) and the last backup was created about 4pm (CST). In total, I have only around 15 accounts that need to be moved. While the backups were created and copied from one host to another over a period of ~15 hours, they aren't active yet.

My concern is that emails and other modifications that may have happened in the last 15 hours are basically lost. I have transferred from one WHM server to another in the past and been able to do so in minutes (for the number and disk size (~20GB) of accounts that I manage). So, my questions are (1) am I being unreasonable in expecting that the migration happens in an hour or so instead of a day? (2) is there any way for me (as a reseller) to "update" the migrated accounts manually?

Thanks!

CT

PS. I did raise this issue with the provider and was told that the process of creating backups and moving accounts was automated and the time taken was basically out of their control.

Comments

• Is their anyway you can recreate the backups again? Most providers, like ourselves, simply have a script we plugin certain values, then it runs the whole backup and restore process in one swoop. So it's not un-reaonable to expect a quick move from the time of backup to restore.

• Thank you. I expected that the migration process would be fairly quick. So, I am a little disappointed (and frankly concerned) about the time taken for this process to happen. I am able to take backups on my own. I suppose I can create my own backups and push them to the "new" server.

• I have transfered 13 accounts ~7 GB for 25 min. Without taking backup etc.

• Thank you. This is good to know. I also know that my nightly backups of all accounts take approximately 15-20 minutes (to a remote FTP location), so the >15 hour wait between migrations seems to be unacceptable. I guess I just need to find another provider!

• If you upload the backups to the server, have the company run "/scripts/restorepkg BACKUPFILE".. better yet create the list for them maybe!??! That way they don't have to do any work hehe

• @OnraHost said:
    If you upload the backups to the server, have the company run "/scripts/restorepkg BACKUPFILE".. better yet create the list for them maybe!??! That way they don't have to do any work hehe

This makes you to be the LET premium host :)

Thanked by 1ct_tx
  • @WHT said:

Well he wants it done the quick. No quicker way then doing it yourself ;)

Thanked by 1ct_tx
  • Thats true! Oh, I wish I had shell access!

I hope I'm not asking for too much - but if I may run another thought by y'all: I am basically downsizing my current web hosting setup and prefer to focus more on the VPS side of things.

Anyway, I have my own setup of WHM and cPanel at this time. Consequently, all my packages are setup under the root account. I was advised by the new provider that I must convert the primary account to a "reseller" account and then change ownership of all other accounts. While that sounds reasonable, I don't think it will work quite as intended as the "reseller" account does not own any packages at this time. So, my migrated accounts will be assigned packages that don't exist (simply because all packages are owned by root at this time). I am assuming that I should recreate the packages on the "new" host and, after the migration, appropriately update each account. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks y'all! Again, you advice is much appreciated.

CT