Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hello with the Delimiter Object
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hello with the Delimiter Object

HWAYSHWAYS Member
edited December 2015 in Help

I just got on Nov 29 a Object service with Delimiter and I need some help to backup my WHM over there.
In the WHM settings If I select Amazon S3 I have no place where to fill in the http://obj.space/ URL.
Do you have any idea how to use it ? There is no help over there.

PS: Even if I submitted the ticket on Nov 29, until now no answer from them.

Thank you.

Comments

• Since its labeled Amazon S3 they may only support Amazon's S3 service. I haven't used WHM in a while but a quick search on Google leads me to believe they don't support others.

• The tool you're using needs to allow you to enter a custom endpoint for S3-compatible storage. A lot of stuff is hardwired to only work with S3 unfortunately. Might need to complain to the developers/make a feature request.

• WHM is Amazons S3 compatible as you probably know. If you say that the Object is compatible with ALL Amazon S3 means this one as well.

• As for http://wiki.delimiter.com/display/DEL/ObjSpace:+Configuring+S3+Browser is useless. Probably only for retrieval.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • This is a working example of how to configure it with S3 Browser.

I'll see whether we have anything on configuring with cPanel but I think cPanel locked it down. You probably need to use a third party tool to backup to non-Amazon S3 services.

• Yeah, lots of tools in the 'cloud' ecosystem still haven't enabled generic S3 provider support.

I believe Docker registries are still hardcoded to various AWS S3 regions. Suppposed to be fixed soon.

• @HWAYS said:
    If you say that the Object is compatible with ALL Amazon S3 means this one as well.

It is compatible and any developer can easily add support for S3-compatible storage, but most choose to hardcode Amazon stuff into their implementations.

It's like having an email program that only works with Gmail. It's using IMAP so it could use any email server it can access, but it's hard coded in to only allow for Gmail.

• HWAYS said: In the WHM settings If I select Amazon S3 I have no place where to fill in the http://obj.space/ URL. Do you have any idea how to use it ? There is no help over there.

• the funny thing about delimiter, LE{B,T) become their helpdesk.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Why not edit the servers host file and make it point at delimiter's?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @MarkTurner: how can I do this ?

• Followin, I also tried configuring it with s3cmd but couldn't figure it out.

• Set mine up and running on my Windows machine in 5 minutes with Duplicati, very easy to use and almost 0 configuration, super-happy with it.

• @Sady you have to edit ".s3cfg" and change all amazon links with obj.space

• what makes this objectspace better than sftp, ftp, torrent protocol based backups? i never heard of this method before.

• @MarkTurner Thanks for the link to the ObjSpace wiki with a little information. Please ask Barry to add more information! I know Obj.Space is new product for you guys, but documentation is greatly lacking.

I struggled with s3cmd at first. I finally am able to copy files back and forth, but I can't figure out how to create static websites. For now, it'll work as a place to put backups and publicly accessible static assets. Eventully, I would love to use it to host simple static sites and just use Cloudflare to CNAME the website.objspace.com DNS name.

• To me it looks like a new fancy backup protocol sold to mainly enterprise customers.

Amazon likes to take one thing and give it another name. Rebrand and repackage.

Don't tell me you don't have an aws account to have a look at s3 storage?

Mark_R said: what makes this objectspace better than sftp, ftp, torrent protocol based backups? i never heard of this method before.