Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

YearlyVM - 1GB OpenVZ for £15/year on a £300 desktop... yeah this will end well. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

YearlyVM - 1GB OpenVZ for £15/year on a £300 desktop... yeah this will end well.

Comments

• @jarland said: Should easily hold 150 VPS.

>

Powered by windows 8 double that brother.

150 * 128mb = 19gb, since the server has 16gb you will only be overselling very little! Sounds like a perfect plan. Also if you take 1$/month you will make 150$/month!! You're gonna be rich

• @Taz said: in my defence, my dad died last month so unless your dad kills zombee. I see no luck .

Oh well.. Dang. Now I feel like a jerk.

• Well he gave up.

@halfeatenpie guess some one ate the first half of your pie in advance.

• Ugggh.

Problem isn't this chap trying to enter the market blindly and ignoring reality.

The problem is the nerd gear penis enhancement. Lookie at me gear dingie. Wielding his tech penis proudly.

I bet there are many VPS operations running all sorts of nutty half arsed gear. Never understood why the specs published by VPS providers matter. It's not like I am buying 100% of the server or truly have control over my slice. Other folks using their service impacts things often and quickly. I don't care if it's a desktop processor or a computer made by Cray, no one really should unless you are mining BitCoins or some other CPU burner.

IOPs matter, responsiveness matters, IOWait matters arguably most. Network throughput matters and upstreams.

I wish the industry would back peddle and quit the gear worship and useless benchmarks. Shared environments are way more complex to measure and the benchmarks themselves are unrealistic tests of an environment that you would never actually use that way.

More realistic shared environment testing would involves Apache, Nginx, etc. and throughput of requests per second, latency under load, etc. Since vast majority of shared use involves serving web content.

Yeah, he'll fail for chomping off a bite that is too big to digest quickly. Industry isn't entered by reaching into your pocket when getting started like this, unless you have tons of liquidity to burn through or you have some niche product offering.

He said it's not a server.

A server is his Christmas / Spring Break job to save up for the colocation. Would a company even colocate a minor? I wouldn't because of the potential for angry mom phone calls

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@KuJoe said: That name seems extremely familiar but I can't find where I know it from.

freewebhostingtalk

• I cable-tied a BBU does that qualify?

@pubcrawler said: VPS operations running all sorts of nutty half arsed gear

• @mtwiscool at WHT

If you say you knew how to configure the NAT and it was only a glitch, why was the VPS not working correctly and why are you closing your project so fast?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Jacob said: I cable-tied a BBU does that qualify?

You're not a real provider until you've exhausted twist ties on every inappropriate use.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@pubcrawler said: I bet there are many VPS operations running all sorts of nutty half arsed gear.

We just got an awesome deal on a handful of servers because they don't come with ears (no idea why Dell would make a custom case without ears, but we picked them up for less than what this kid paid for his desktop and one of them is already full to capacity).

@pubcrawler said: I wish the industry would back peddle and quit the gear worship and useless benchmarks.

This is why I refuse to compete on performance. I'm sure if other providers here so our cabinet they would be like "WTFYOUTHINKING???". A bunch of power hungry 2U servers that ran out of warranty before I even entered the web hosting market, but they run like a tank.

• @KuJoe said: A bunch of power hungry 2U servers that ran out of warranty before I even entered the web hosting market, but they run like a tank.

A lot of those servers are still really decent, like Dell 2950's.

• @KuJoe said: This is why I refuse to compete on performance.

Networking benchmarks lol me so much. It's like going outside and looking at the weather to provide a current report. Do you look at the report from weeks ago to influence your decision today?

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited December 2012

Won't end good at all. Looks like a holiday host.

@zachfedora said: A lot of those servers are still really decent, like Dell 2950's.

Amen to that. It's all about how you sell it. Now as you can afford it, obviously it makes more sense to take @miTgiB's approach to being more economical with rack space and power, but you don't have to start there. Once you know you have your market, spending is more easily justified.

• edited December 2012

@jarland said: Amen to that. It's all about how you sell it. Now as you can afford it, obviously it makes more sense to take @miTgiB's approach to being more economical with rack space and power, but you don't have to start there. Once you know you have your market, spending is more easily justified.

Yep, really, a few 2950's is all you need. Just get a few SAS 10k drives, some more RAM, and concentrate on low density, high I/O VMs.

Edit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-2950-Server-2x-3-0GHz-5160-Dual-Core-16GB-2x73GB-PERC-5i-DVD-1PS-/181051908865?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item2a2788e301

Perfect, 2 15K drives to start, and 16GB RAM.

• @Liam said: Oddly enough, he emailed me this morning asking for his account here to be unbanned. I don't really want to post any info on him as he appears to be a very young minor.

Please don't let him in.

• @jarland said: Now as you can afford it, obviously it makes more sense to take @miTgiB's approach to being more economical with rack space and power, but you don't have to start there.

Well, when I got more serious about VPS as a main product line and moved over from shared hosting and dedicated servers, power/rack space was not a concern, managed growth was my highest priority. In 1995 I borrowed $250,000 to start i1.net and also went heavy with leased equipment, then when I started Hostigation with a single $600 server in 2006 I made the choice to grow as cashflow allowed, and still follow that rule, in 2010 when I did choose to move into VPS more, I bought new nodes as cash was available and still do, and at the time, E3's were the best bang for the buck with good power use and affordability, today the E5 nodes offer a little more capacity and cost savings over the E3's when you multiply it all out.

• Can't we just @Liam, have a minimum age requirement on here?

I lol at the providers who aren't old enough to buy cigarettes in the US, drink a beer or enter into any contract. But they pose as business folks.

• The build as you go and cash flow mandates is the only model. The others are built to fail.

• He should give the VPS for free, that way he isn't liable to anyone legally.

But if he goes paid, guess when he becomes a victim of the attacks of the internet (fraud, chargebacks, hacking, DDoS, etc) we would be seeing real fun.

• @luis123456 said: He should give the VPS for free, that way he isn't liable to anyone legally.

Oh god with you again

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited December 2012

Just putting it out there so a specific individual knows.

Giving out a Free VPS doesn't remove you from being liable legally. Also, the provider is usually not legally liable for the data (unless stated otherwise) (oh and this should be in the provider's Terms of Service).

• The part I like the most about this, is when he realizes that someone starts saying something about his site, etc - it gets removed.

ie: his wiki, etc.

• @MrObvious: Yeah you can tell he's been monitoring this thread especially since his replies are on his WHT posts

• At least he didn't bought these WD Green disks.

"Nice" free template with "free websitehosting templates"-link.

Doesn't even load for me.

• @HalfEatenPie said: Yeah you can tell he's been monitoring this thread especially since his replies are on his WHT posts

I'm just kind of waiting for him to come out and be like "nah I'm just fucking with you this is my shitty gaming pc lolz"

With worse typing, of course.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited December 2012

That's actually wrong for people in the UK, as james pointed out to me a while ago. I don't see the fuss though, we(I) can do whatever a person that's two years older then me can.

I have been in a datacenter, I have removed/installed equipment, and pretty much everything else along them lines.

Don't generalise people by age.

@pubcrawler said: But they pose as business folks.

• I'll give you this one.

@Jack said: @Jacob said: then

than

You're not having this one, read again..

@Jacob said: me

we

This discussion has been closed.