Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cant decide between OVH and leaseweb
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cant decide between OVH and leaseweb

ValdVald Member
edited December 2015 in General

Hi

I need around 10 small servers for Database use and short cpu intensive tasks

Oneprovider has a nice 7 bucks, no setup fees dedis, (its probably online.net) but i heard complaints about their connectivity

Which one would you recommend for production use, if anyone uses them please give some insight on CPU/IO performance

Thanks, Vlad

NOTE!!

I did not mention that, for OVH and Leaseweb i am looking at their VPS/Cloud servers! not dedi

UPDATE!! requirements

• min 99.9% uptime

• private networking

• EU preffered

other suggestions are welcomed

Thanked by 1GM2015

Comments

• forget oneprovider. resells colocrossing in us and online.net in france.

go with direct dedi leasers.

• @GM2015

I would go with online if it wasnt for the 20$ setup fee, 10x20 = 200$ in setup fees alone

• Ovh has crap support, but is said to be good on telephone mostly. Might be risky for production.

Online.net support staff is a bit hard to understand in tickets sometimes. C'est la vie.

Don't bother with oneprovider really. Find some stuff on hetzner or ovh.

I don't know what's your definition of production. People here seems to have really huge sites and traffic going.

Leaseweb is also popular and said to have good support. Maybe. I don't know.

Vald said: I would go with online if it wasnt for the 20$ setup fee, 10x20 = 200$ in setup fees alone

• GM2015 said: I don't know what's your definition of production.

stable, high uptime service which wont get me suspended for using 100% of the resources stated in the offer/plan

• +1 leaseweb

They make me happy with customers support.

Online take 1-3 hours for reply ticket.

• Using 1Gbit traffic on a 1Gbit line 24x7 will be funny with any provider at low prices. But that's extreme.

Hetzner has some traffic shaping after 20 or 30 TB traffic a month. Check up on that.

Vald said: stable, high uptime service which wont get me suspended for using 100% of the resources stated in the offer/plan

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited December 2015

GM2015 said: Ovh has crap support, but is said to be good on telephone mostly. Might be risky for production.

why risky for production? their services are as good as any, if not better, for sysadmins, just that ovh prefer to have users know what they are doing

• ValdVald Member
    edited December 2015

@GM2015 i dont need 1Gbit, i have updated the post with the requirements

thank you

• Nobody can beat oneprovider cc deals

• ru_tldru_tld Member, Host Rep

Hello

We can provide you 10% discount on any LeaseWeb dedi stock.
    And additional 10% discount for yearly VPS/cloud contracts (on top of 10% year discount)

All servers that we provide are with LeaseWeb's SLA free of charge.

• sinsin Member
    edited December 2015

Leaseweb is awesome, I use their vps/cloud server line in their VA datacenter and the network has been great along with stability. Support is pretty good, usually get replies within 45 min. or so and you can signup to their network status emails which are very detailed and send you emails whenever there is upcoming maintenance or network problems.

With their VPSes you also get a firewall so you can block off stuff before it hits your VPS and if you contact support after ordering you can ask for ipv6 and they will assign a /64 to you.

This is their Medium VPS (paying $5.97/month from a 40% off promo I got awhile back)

Speedtest (IPv4 only)

Location Provider Speed
    CDN Cachefly 23.2MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US Coloat 20.1MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US Softlayer 20.2MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US Softlayer 16.7MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US Softlayer 16.3MB/s
    Washington, DC, US Softlayer 19.7MB/s

Tokyo, Japan Linode 13.0MB/s
    Singapore Softlayer 7.68MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands id3.net 12.7MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands Leaseweb 23.1MB/s

Disk Speed

I/O (1st run) : 70.9 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run) : 82.5 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run) : 92.2 MB/s
    Average I/O : 81.8667 MB/s

• Network wise (and probably for support too) I think leaseweb is way better than OVH.

• ValdVald Member
    edited December 2015

i just discovered that leaseweb does not support private networking on the vps range, only the cloud range which is 3 times the price (and the only benefit is private network)

https://www.leaseweb.com/cloud/public/virtual-server

https://www.leaseweb.com/cloud/public/cloud-server

• Leaseweb is great. Never had any real issues with them and their support is awesome. They call in once in a while to check up on things and to make sure everything is ok.

• ru_tldru_tld Member, Host Rep

With cloud server you can also use Load Balancer.
    Also it must have lower contention ratio in compare to their virtual servers product.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

OVH also doesn't have private networking yet on their cloud offering.

• I'm using LeaseWeb VPS. It's great.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

scaleway has private networking, too bad they are no good for production use

• ValdVald Member
    edited December 2015

exception0x876 said: scaleway has private networking, too bad they are no good for production use

exactly, thats why i need to find another provider

ru_tld said: With cloud server you can also use Load Balancer. Also it must have lower contention ratio in compare to their virtual servers product.

thanks for the info

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

OVH can't just be compared to LeaseWeb. Even if LW is not perfect, definitely go with them.

• ValdVald Member
    edited December 2015

I am already having trouble with OVH,

3 days back and forth i cant activate my account, I have sent my ID card for validation and this is the response

The proof of address must be on a separate document than your proof of ID.

ridiculous , how many documents do i need to send to validate an account, i really don't like this.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Another vote for LeaseWeb. Been with them for 4 years.

Solid & reliable network, feature-rich control panel, helpful support.

They also recently increased their minimum bandwidth from 500GB to 4TB for free.

• LeaseWeb as well, feature-rich panel, support is quick and helpful (even they say up to 24 SLA but always within 1 hour). Network is also excellent, price is decent.

• @Vald your recent not older than 2 months electricity or water bill or bank statement will do

• sinsin Member
    edited December 2015

@Vald said:
    I am already having trouble with OVH,

3 days back and forth i cant activate my account, I have sent my ID card for validation and this is the response

The proof of address must be on a separate document than your proof of ID.

ridiculous , how many documents do i need to send to validate an account, i really don't like this.

You have to follow their initial e-mail exactly...usually they ask for a government ID and a proof of address that is a bank statement, a bill to your address, etc...

I sent them my ID and a scanned copy of a bank statement I printed out and got activated within a few hours.

Leaseweb also does verifications on new customers but it's only a single phone call and all they do is ask you to confirm your address and that's it.

• GM2015 said: forget oneprovider. resells colocrossing in us and online.net in france.

Yeah, on that topic: what happened to LowEndBox not listing resellers? Guess that's out of the window now.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2015

Is there any ongoing Leaseweb VPS promotion around?

• +1 for OVH!
    Why would you need the support? if it's something urgent you can always give them a call instead.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Four20 said: if it's something urgent you can always give them a call instead.

I certainly prefer fast and efficient written support than calling my provider.

• ValdVald Member
    edited December 2015

comparing their cheapest plans i just found out that leaseweb is using E5-2620 :(

ovh are on E5-2630 and plus tad cheaper

how is the limit ratio on ovh, which provider allows higher cpu usage?