Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pingdom - Downgrade of Free plan
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pingdom - Downgrade of Free plan

alexvolkalexvolk Member
edited December 2015 in Providers
Hi,

We are sending you this email to notify you about changes to your free Pingdom account. In an effort to deliver the best products and support for our customers that subscribe to our paid plans, we will no longer provide your existing free plan after January 28, 2016.

If you need simple uptime monitoring and alerting, we have a modified free plan available that may meet your needs. We encourage you to compare our entry level plans and decide which plan is best for you as described below. Early action on your part to this one-time offer will result in substantial savings for you over our normal rates.

New Free Plan - Our new free plan is targeted towards users that need very simple uptime monitoring and alerting. While it is not as feature rich as your current free plan, it may have the features that are most important to you.
        If you want to migrate your existing free account to the new free plan, you don’t need to do anything. We will migrate you to our new free plan on or around January 28, 2016.
        Please note: You may lose website monitoring features and data that you presently use on January 28 – more details can be found on the feature comparison page.

New free plan can be checked here: https://www.pingdom.com/planfree

Thanked by 1Frecyboy

Comments

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited December 2015

alexvolk said: no longer provide your existing free plan after January 28, 2016.

Bljad suka.

Didn't got that mail so far, I guess it will come soon... At least it lasted what, 5 years?
    However didn't used them much anymore, it was great when they started to offer it, but as there came plenty of new (free) services during the years, I almost forgot about them.

Thanked by 1Gulf
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited December 2015

It's actually not the "end of free plan" but rather "downgrade of free plan features".

• @raindog308 said:
    It's actually not the "end of free plan" but rather "downgrade of free plan features".

I've changed the title. It's complete downgrade and it makes no sense to use that and that was the reason why I've said the "end".

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

alexvolk said: I've changed the title. It's complete downgrade and it makes no sense to use that and that was the reason why I've said the "end".

Hey you're right. It's kind of "the absolute minimum we can offer so we can say we have a free plan".

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited December 2015

I'm waiting for the announcement that makes their page, ping and DNS testing service paid and thus non public at all.

Maybe they will put a banner "Fuck off. Wanna free service? Go sucky sucky or get a job moron".

Pingdom is shit anyway. They surely know how to piss off people.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

Their speedtest is good to see quickly what your site is loading if you've got issues or want to test your site speed. Not perfect, but still very good. http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/

I also like to measure an image directly what its size is. Example:
    http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/b5bVNe/http://www.lowendtalk.com/uploads/userpics/459/nYFY1O304NVBZ.jpeg

Use uptimerobot and statuscake instead while they last.

Hidden_Refuge said: Pingdom is shit anyway.

• @GM2015 said:
    Not perfect, but still very good. http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/

I'm just waiting for an announcement that makes this paid. I'm sure if they push this crap and make the free plan worthless they'll be soon up to make everything paid.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Eh, 5 min. A site which allows 1min and free would be awesome but naaaa.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

Yeah well they can do want with it. No hard feelings. If cc decided to shutdown let tomorrow, the community's feelings wouldn't change the events.

Maybe they'd get some test materials from some kind members, but not much more.

Hidden_Refuge said: I'm just waiting for an announcement that makes this paid. I'm sure if they push this crap and make the free plan worthless they'll be soon up to make everything paid.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2015

I am very happy with UptimeRobot. Its accuracy has been way better than Pingdom anyway (used them parallel for this year).

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • GM2015 said: If cc decided to shutdown let tomorrow, the community's feelings wouldn't change the events.

It's not like LET users would call someone's mother, or send them dildos via mail...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

So what do you think CC would do in return?

You guessed it right.

Send them CVPS offers!

Show them the other cheek and other offers!

4n0nx said: It's not like LET users would call someone's mother, or send them dildos via mail...

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Anyone have a list of recommended and free uptime monitoring providers? Being lazy on my phone here.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    Anyone have a list of recommended and free uptime monitoring providers? Being lazy on my phone here.

NixStats just works.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Sounds like somebody missed a few classes in business school...

They should have just grandfathered the old free plans.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

It's not surprising since they were bought by solarwinds

• sinsin Member
    edited December 2015

@Infinity580 said:
    Eh, 5 min. A site which allows 1min and free would be awesome but naaaa.

NewRelic Synthetics is free and allows 1 minute intervals from different locations (it's awesome) and UptimeDoctor also allows 1 minute intervals.

• @EkaatyLinux said:
    NixStats just works.

Are there any screenshots / feature list for Nixstats?

• sin said: and UptimeRobot also allows 1 minute intervals.

no 5 for free. at least for me

• https://bearmon.com from @perennate is the best! 50 free 60 second checks and very fast email monitoring.

$0.1/mo for each check past the 50 free ones, and SMS is also available if you add account credit.

• So if the new free plan doesn't have an protocols supported for checks, what does the one check you get actually do?

• @GM2015 said:
    Use uptimerobot and statuscake instead while they last.

I can assure you we're never getting rid of our free plan, and I can here make the promise that what you sign up for now you will always get. StatusCake made plan changes a year or so ago, and when we did it we grandfathered everyone in to whatever they had before. I'm strongly against bait and switch with features. For us it works, we've got close to 100,000 users and those who can pay, do, and those who are just starting up.. we're more than happy to lend a hand :)

Thanked by 3GM2015 DalComp Frecyboy
  • That's great. SC was a bit confusing when I started with the service, but it's great for ping and uptime. Thanks for the service.

As for what you do with the free service, is up to you owners and execs. I'll use it while it lasts.

SCDaniel said: https://www.StatusCake.com - Free Uptime Monitoring

• The thing is with some of these monitoring services is they seem to cost a lot more than the actual servers you want to monitor with them. I know they have to maintain several servers but it can't take that much resource to check a page is up every few minutes.

• I replaced all my checks with a single UptimeRobot account some time ago.

• 4n0nx said: no 5 for free. at least for me

Sorry I meant UptimeDoctor! I get them confused...it's UptimeDoctor that has 1 minute intervals for free (for 5 checks), I find them much better then UptimeRobot too.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

That's odd, I haven't received any email from pingdom about this, still having some sites monitored there since forever ago, never bothered to remove them... either way, their new free plan is quite bad.