Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PA vs PI Space
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PA vs PI Space

edited December 2012 in General

As RIPE is now only offering a single /22 of PA space to LIRs, what happens to the /22 if you switch upstreams? Is it reclaimed by RIPE?

Comments

• JacobJacob Member
    edited December 2012

PI Space is not offered anymore, PA is the alternative.

Edit: Misread the question, but they can reclaim PI (Like @rds100 said) but it is your IP Space, and upstreams do not matter.

• If you are a LIR and get allocation from RIPE - it is yours, as long as you are a RIPE member. Upstreams don't matter.

• Thanks. What a poor time to want to get your first v4 allocation

• Indeed, you are late to this game. The first allocation will also be the last one.

• @Liam i think forming a US company by non-US citizens might be problematic as one would need a SSN and such which is not possible for non-US citizens. Actually i don't know for sure, this is pure speculation from me.

However ARIN serves other countries besides USA, don't know what's required for forming a Ltd / LLC in one of these other countries.
    https://www.arin.net/knowledge/rirs/ARINcountries.html

• @Liam you can form a foreign LLC if you already have a legal business formed in other country. Delaware is the place where you need to form your business. You will have to pay for registered agent and pay local tax . But they are rather cheap.

• TazTaz Member
    edited December 2012

Dont . Wyoming is not the best place when it comes to tax benefits and business protection. Specially for multinational businesses. Check put their yearly fees and others. Ohh one thing I.forgot. what sucks about USA LLC is that most state requires you to run 6 week worth of legal notice that you formed an llc on 2 local news paper. Which becomes really expensive for small places. Otherwise, you risk the chance of loosing your license or business protection against lawsuits.

Couple of states don't require this. But they are handful.

• edited December 2012

@rds100 said: Indeed, you are late to this game. The first allocation will also be the last one.

This is a shame, is anyone here acquiring address space privately?

@Liam said: Could it be possible for european providers to start an LLC stateside and acquire an allocation from ARIN?

This interests us and was our original intention but need to seek legal advice on the matter.

• I just got a /24 no problem through RIPE from Colo provider, they haven't even asked for indepth justification.

@ShardHost said: acquiring address space privately?

• apollo15apollo15 Member
    edited December 2012

@Jacob said: I just got a /24 no problem through RIPE from Colo provider, they haven't even asked for indepth justification.

Maybe it's their PA space, not PI.

• Is it even worth registering at the moment? Its a lot of money for a /22.

• @ShardHost

The upfront cost out weights how much it is to rent them monthly... it also allows for future growth.

• @BradND said: @ShardHost

The upfront cost out weights how much it is to rent them monthly... it also allows for future growth

I already knew this to be true. We'll just have to managed with 1024 IPv4 for now and look forward to ipv6 adoption. I'll head to the office tomorrow to grab the RIPE contracts.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited December 2012

@BradND said: it also allows for future growth.

No it does not, RIPE ONLY gives out a /22 per LIR anymore.

• @William said: No it does not, RIPE ONLY gives out a /22 per LIR anymor

I think he meant beyond IPv4

Still 1800 per year is still probably cheap for 1024 IPs with the price some providers are charging per month

• Last time I checked there was also a 2k eur setup fee regardless of yearly fee?

• Yes,

First fee payment is 2900.00

2000 reg fee + 2 quarters

• @ShardHost said: Yes,

First fee payment is 2900.00

2000 reg fee + 2 quarters

Yeah, that would be correct.

• Not a 3K EUR fee anymore?

• 2900 is fairly close to 3k, if you ask me :P

• RIPE was generous with the 100 EUR Discount, Just wait untill v6 is more popular in 2013 and then things will calm over v4. And everyone who invested in v4 will realise it's just another protocol and nothing special.