Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EU Windows VPS like Aruba Smart Cloud "M" but with extra storage?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EU Windows VPS like Aruba Smart Cloud "M" but with extra storage?

jant90jant90 Member
edited November 2015 in Help

I'm currently using the Aruba Smart Cloud "M" VPS and it's pretty much perfect for me (and only about €8/month) but I'm just short some cheap storage for temp file storage.

I would like 60 to 100GB dirt cheap storage added to those specs meaning, not redundant, not backupped, not SSD, not SSD cached, not even RAID is necessary. Just some cheap storage to attach to my Windows VPS to store some unimportant temp files.

So specs I'm looking for would be something like this:

• 1 core
  • 2GB RAM
  • 30-40GB OS storage
  • 5TB transfer (could be overkill, not sure yet)
  • EU hosted (NL/DE/FR preferred)
  • AND 60 to 100GB "dirt cheap storage"

Is something like this possible for around €10/month?

OR

Would there be a decent way to attach storage from a remote Linux VPS to the Aruba Windows VPS? I can get some dirtcheap storage (200GB @ €2/month) and I could make that space available over FTP and just attach that FTP storage as a network drive to my Windows VPS so the space becomes available to the software running on the Windows VPS. This is probably not considered best-practice but I'm not aware of better methods and couldn't find anything either (except for maybe SAMBA over VPN, but configuration seems hard and many problems are reported), so if there are better methods to attach remote storage to my Windows VPS I'm all ears.

I hope you guys can advise me :).

Thanks.

Comments

• get a storage VPS @time4vps install samba and mount it in Windows vps

• @simonindia thanks, those storage VPS's are great value!

However can you point me in the right direction for mounting a samba share over WAN? I just can't seem to get it working. I've been messing around for hours now.

Is there a clear guide somewhere? I'm running an Ubuntu VPS with samba installed and I'm trying to connect from my Windows machine.

• lewissuelewissue Member
    edited December 2015

OP, samba in windows is very simple. just consider samba server as a windows sharing server

\\IP of samba server\sharing name

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited December 2015

@jant90 this http://www.time4vps.eu/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=195

will help if not just ask in this thread LET will help Happy hosting

• sshfs would probably be more secure... and you wouldn't need to install anything on your storage vps :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Maybe you can use something like hubic or mega. I think they can be mounted. Or somehow mount (S)FTP storage.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

All I know is when I still had windows 7 on my laptop with 30Mbit down/3Mbit up broadband speed, I constantly had problems and time out issues with mounting my kidechire's online.net free 100GB ftp storage space for some reason I still don't know.

At that time point, filezilla also had the same issues and even ssh ftp client too from terminal. You connected to the ftp storage and remote listing just timed out whether you used passive connection or not.

It was better a few months later. I haven't bothered since, but now I have 2x100gb storage on ftp.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • GM2015 said: All I know is when I still had windows 7 on my laptop with 30Mbit down/3Mbit up broadband speed, I constantly had problems and time out issues with mounting my kidechire's online.net free 100GB ftp storage space for some reason I still don't know.

how do you mount it?

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

Go to my computer/computer, right click on empty space below C:/, select "add a network location", then next and the rest is simple.

Or probably:
    Go to start, right click on Computer, Map Network Drive, etc.

I used the last one for mounting virtualbox shared storage for a windows 7 vm at home on debian 8 and it worked for sharing some folders with a virtualbox vm.

4n0nx said: how do you mount it?

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

I just got errors on mounting my kidechire's ftp space on my black friday windows dedi. No wonder why people hate ftp.

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
    Response:   220 server ready - login please
    Command:    USER sd-12345
    Response:   331 password required
    Command:    PASS ***************
    Response:   230 login accepted
    Command:    SYST
    Response:   215 UNIX Type: L8
    Command:    FEAT
    Response:   211-feature list follows
    Response:    MDTM
    Response:    SIZE
    Response:   211 end
    Command:    PWD
    Response:   257 "/" is your current location
    Command:    TYPE I
    Response:   200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
    Command:    PASV

Again, remote directory listing times out.

Again, good luck doing this on the terminal.

user@debian:~$ ftp dedibackup-dc2.online.net
    Connected to dedibackup-dc2.online.net.
    220 server ready - login please
    Name (dedibackup-dc2.online.net:user): sd-12345
    331 password required
    Password:
    230 login accepted
    Remote system type is UNIX.
    Using binary mode to transfer files.
    ftp> ls
    500 FTP active mode is forbidden, passive mode is mandatory
    ftp: bind: Address already in use
    ftp> passive
    Passive mode on.
    ftp> ls

I don't know why it doesn't list anything. I tried again it worked.

Then I tried again from filezilla in 1 minute and listing doesn't work.

Online sells this ftp space as if it worked. Good selling point.

4n0nx said: how do you mount it?

• Windows doesn't like Ftp passive mode mounted. or just for use it always has issues but active mode still workable but not great

FTP is shit but it has its places

@jant90 just saying secure the SMB

• GM2015 said: I don't know why it doesn't list anything. I tried again it worked.

Then I tried again from filezilla in 1 minute and listing doesn't work.

Online sells this ftp space as if it worked. Good selling point.

iirc it works fine for me in Filezilla, but does not work in Windows. That's why I asked. >.>

• Sure boss, I tried going through a socks proxy and it works again in firezilla.

Ftp just gives nightmares.

4n0nx said: iirc it works fine for me in Filezilla, but does not work in Windows. That's why I asked. >.>

• Thanks for all the input.

I've found a solution and got everything I wanted working. However currently I'm still accessing files on the VPS over FTP and I would really like to add it as a network location to my PC for easy access (so using Samba).

I've been messing around so long with Samba now but unfortunately never got it working.

On my Aruba Cloud Windows VPS I made a folder and shared it (like you would on any Windows PC). On the VPS I enter \ in Windows Explorer and it shows shares just fine. However when I try the same from my own Windows 7 computer I can't access the share. It times out after 10-20 secs with error "Windows cannot access \". For the sake of testing I even disabled the Windows Firewall on both my Windows 7 and on my Windows Server 2012 VPS and connected my Windows 7 PC directly to the internet (without router). So I'm absolutely sure there was a unrestricted direct connection between both machines.

This has always been the case so I always figured Samba shares are not possible over WAN or would require tunneling over VPN or something to create a VLAN.

I feel it has to be something incredibly simple I'm overlooking because I can't find any info on the internet on how to get this working. But I can be sure it's not a firewall/forwarding thing.

So can anyone tell me how I would access these shares natively in Windows via Samba over WAN?

• @jant90 what OS are you using and post your firewall rules

we will figure this out

• ArubaCloud provides FTP for free If I recall correctly, 50Gb of space are free.

• @simonindia said:
    jant90 what OS are you using and post your firewall rules

we will figure this out

On my VPS I'm running Windows Server 2012 R2, on my own PC I'm using Windows 7. I disabled firewalls on both machines so firewall rules aren't relevant. I also tried hooking up my PC directly to the internet (so no router firewall) and that didn't help either.

I tried installing Hamachi to create a VPN tunnel between de VPS and my PC and this works (sort of). I only got it fully working both ways with the firewall on the VPS disabled, without disabling the VPS firewall I would only be able to access my own PC from the VPS. The firewall on my Windows 7 PC causes no problems, I can access from both machines and both ways with the Windows 7 firewall enabled.

Also Hamachi has a 100mbps limit because they use a virtual network adapter driver of 100mbps -.-

But is Samba really supposed to work straight over WAN without any tunneling?

Either way, I got something decent running over FTPS, so at least it is somewhat secured and I'm somewhat satisfied (and I don't feel like breaking my head over Samba anymore).

@bersy said:
    ArubaCloud provides FTP for free If I recall correctly, 50Gb of space are free.

True, but this only stores .iso files (and other images I guess), so you can store your virtual CD-DVD images, no other files.

• Samba will work over WAN but if your good with SFTP then its GOOD

And i thought u need samba for

Time4vps->-------->Windows VPS

But what you want is

Windows VPS >----------->YourPC(windows7)

If I'm wrong pls reply

have you tried this (the below link )?

@simonindia said:
    jant90 this http://www.time4vps.eu/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=195

will help if not just ask in this thread LET will help Happy hosting