Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowendPC aka ScrapyardBox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowendPC aka ScrapyardBox

Hi!

Your recommendations on best bang for buck aka dollar to benchmark preformance?

So reading about benchmarks made me get a overclockable cheap Z77 motherboard with DDR3 1600 Mhz 2x4Gb and a GTX 960 with i5-2500k.

Could i have done better?

Like LGA771 server cpu+graphics.

Comments

• Or you could grab something 2nd hand?

• Those were actually secondhand minus the graphics card which was a Black Friday deal.

79 quid for the cpu
    35 quid for the motherboard
    17.99 quid for 2x4gb.
    115.99 quid for GTX960.

SSD and powersupply i had beforehand

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • classyclassy Member
    edited November 2015

An SSD is important too. A good SSD or hard drive is what makes your PC fast and smooth.

All you need for gaming is a good graphics card and a dual core or better...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • classy said: An SSD is important too. A good SSD or hard drive is what makes your PC fast and smooth.

4x500gb HDD's in software RAID 10 would also be cool, and would allow for one drive to fail without data loss.

• Some titles unfortunately do not run on dual-core. So quad-core is a must!

• linuxthefish said: 4x500gb HDD's in software RAID 10 would also be cool, and would allow for one drive to fail without data loss.

Just never use Windows' software RAID. It craps out for random reasons and then you have to go into disk management to recreate your mirror.

Windows will then happily start syncing from scratch instead of finding dirty blocks and syncing just those...

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • gtx 960 and i5-4590. Any SSD. The cheapest option you have for the rest (scrapyard for power supply, case, optical drive, cables..)

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

any good sites to about pc builds?

I know about these:

https://pcpartpicker.com/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc
    https://www.reddit.com/r/gamingpc/

There was also toms hardware or something like that.

4n0nx said: gtx 960 and i5-4590. Any SSD. The cheapest option you have for the rest (scrapyard for power supply, case, optical drive, cables..)

• for now i think you better go with 1150. so if you want upgrade its easy no need to swap motherboard. also tell us your budget and location so its easy to mention you the right part. and for power supply if you use gtx 960 better go with new one because power supply is important. bad power supply can damage your hardware

• +1 For Tomshardware, There are a lot of things to consider when putting together a gaming rig. Some games are optimized for multicore some are not. Intels have more powerful cores than AMD but AMD CPU's usually have more cores. I see that it is overclocked, if it has the stock cooler and it sounds like a freaking helicopter drop $30 and get an EVO 212 cooler. It is simply the best air cooler money can buy. But all in all it sounds like you got a really nice setup for a fantastic price. I'll see you on the Battlefront!

• OH and FYI Don't bother with the benchmark software it's meaningless. Load FAPS, and just play your game. Synthetic benchmarks are just for selling video cards! If you need to tweak your OC load CPUZ, and test with prime95.

• GM2015 said: any good sites to about pc builds?

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

• So the other gaming box, got the following.

2 physical L5420 cpus + GTX970 from ebay with DDR2 800 Mhz 4x4 Gb + regular SATA III HDD. Pkus Seasonic MII Bronze 520W.

Care to guess what the gaming box cost and how it ran newest titles?

• ram seems to be very old, but you bought 16GB. How much GB would that be on ddr3 and ddr4?

jaakka said: 2 physical L5420 cpus + GTX970 from ebay with DDR2 800 Mhz 4x4 Gb + regular SATA III HDD. Pkus Seasonic MII Bronze 520W.

Care to guess what the gaming box cost and how it ran newest titles?