Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pi

DavidxDavidx Member
edited December 2012 in General

Is it worth buying? Really thinking hard about getting one. How long did/does it usually take to ship?

Comments

• Is the pope Catholic?

• I dunno, I have a few other things I want too! AGH hard decisions!

1. This doesn't need another thread due to this: http://bit.ly/WTC7ek

2. Mine's running the media server

3. Yes.

• Yes, it is worth buying. I'm sure we have all spent $35+sh on something way less cool, and infinitely more useless than a Raspberry Pi. Also, shipping time depends on the supplier, but I got our in a week.

• @dot_txt said: Yes, it is worth buying. I'm sure we have all spent $35+sh on something way less cool, and infinitely more useless than a Raspberry Pi. Also, shipping time depends on the supplier, but I got our in a week.

Who did you order from?

• I got mine for around $35 which included international shipping. Took 1 day from Australia to New Zealand. Not bad...

• I ordered late last week from Newark.com. It shipped today. They've still got a huge banner on their site saying "Orders placed today will ship before Jan. 6"..

• Anyone know of a bulk site where I could order 20 at a time?

• http://www.newark.com
    Give them a call or email.

• Yeah, how much was shipping for you guys? Newark refuses to show me until I click the order button :/

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited December 2012

Newark is fucky about shipping for some reason.

I chose whatever the cheap shipping option was. When it shipped (to California), they charged me $7.74 -- "UPS 2 Day Air at Ground Rate."

• Newark wont ship too Austria :(

Anyone got one they wanna sell me in Europe that will ship to EU?

• @nikc said: Newark wont ship too Austria :(

Tried RS?

• it depend where you live with taxes and shipping would cost like 50-60$ for a canadian wich is way to much for a item that is suposed to be 25$

• I picked one up, UK, cost me £33 from Farnell I think?

Took ~3 days to be send out, and shipped the next day.

Got the 512MB one from the UK factory :) Pretty happy with it.

• @nikc rs-online.com has worldwide shipping.

• I picked mine up from MCM electronics out of Ohio. Had it in 2 days.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited December 2012

I got my brother one for XMAS, had to go to eBay to get it in time, paid about $50 with shipping. I was tempted to get one myself, but last I had checked the drivers weren't mature so 1080p wasn't really feasible. Have things improved recently? Would make a nice media center pc.

• Mp4 files in 1080p schuld play smooth.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited December 2012

Got mine from @u4ia. Works great, I bought this remote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181004950132

and this USB wifi adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CLMJLU

And I'm streaming 1080p over N wifi from a CIFS share with no issues.

• What is everyone using their Raspberry Pi for?

• I've had one for a couple months, not doing much yet but I've got a few plans. Mostly using the 3D printer at work to make a case for it to fit in my Atrix Webdock.

Though I have a first gen one which cannot be powered from the USB.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

mine os gettimg temps from tanks and turning on/off resistors.

• Going to use mine for police scanner broadcasting.

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited December 2012

Just bought it.. can't wait for it to arrive! ahhh

I'll probably use it as a media center, then use it to screw around with some stuff.

• Been using mine as a torrent server (hooked up to an external drive, awesome power efficiency), however I'm looking into its feasibility as a controller for some industry equipment.

• @pubcrawler said: What is everyone using their Raspberry Pi for?

A home PBX :-)

• timberw0lftimberw0lf Member
    edited December 2012

@pubcrawler said: What is everyone using their Raspberry Pi for?

I've got a headless web server and proxy server running on one of them. My other one is still sitting in the box. I haven't had the time to mess around with it yet.

• @bamn said: Anyone know of a bulk site where I could order 20 at a time?

Farmell/Element 14, RSComponents is horrible

• I had to end up paying $60 including shipping to Australia, but with an acrylic case.

Running headless web/proxy/media server, loving it so far.