Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosting in CIS region (Kazakhstan or Belarus)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosting in CIS region (Kazakhstan or Belarus)?

eugene_eugene_ Member
edited November 2015 in Requests

Hi Everyone.

Would hosting in the C.I.S region be possible?
I'm primarily looking for both shared and VPS hosting in Belarus as well as Kazakhstan.

It will just be for personal pleasure (blogging and CakePHP development) and maybe to serve as a CDN for users.

Budget - flexible but not more than 25EUR per month (Bank, Credit Card or PayPal)

Would there be any easily identifiable restrictions in these locations?

Thanks!

Locations
  1. Are they interesting locations?20 votes
    1. Yes
      55.00%
    2. No
      45.00%

Comments

• @rm_ said:

>

I have seen exoticvps before, but I think the problem with these providers is bandwidth allocation!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2015

eugene_ said: problem with these providers

with these countries*

and their particular bandwidth/carrier monopoly/oligopoly situations.

If you want an order of magnitude better specs AND lower prices in the CIS region, you could just go for Russia.

Thanked by 1Kay
  • deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2015

If you can work with the right businesses and do effective surveying, then hosting in these regions is acceptable.

Personally, I find the technology market in Belarus is heavily localised. The lack of payment gateways for foreigners, monopoly ISPs and maybe even prejudice against certain groups are factors for this.

Most of traffic in/out to Belarus goes into Russia. Other gateways exist in Poland, Ukraine and Germany. As @rm_ previously suggested, looking for ISPs in Russia is a great option. It's only 15ms between Minsk and Moscow.

I can provide web hosting in Minsk, Belarus if you are interested - based on VMWare platform.
    https://www.xhostfire.com/clientarea/cart.php?gid=26
    Foreign traffic limitations is not a problem. ISP is Business Network.

*I did this from Linux using speedtest-cli and ping is a bit unusual. **

Kazakhstan - Jelastic Cloud (https://jelastic.com/) has some interesting partners. You should take a look there.

Furthermore, if CIS regions are important for CDN, I think you should have a look at https://www.skyparkcdn.com/

I have not used them before, but their services seems to be based on OnApp. I remember seeing a thread about it before on LET. (Use Search)

• I'm from Kazakhstan. My advice: do not host sites in Kazakhstan.

• @Gulf said:
    I'm from Kazakhstan. My advice: do not host sites in Kazakhstan.

Could you give me more detail on what are the risks or consequences? It would be nice, from personal experience.

@deployvm - I will consider your offers. Thanks. It is of interest to me.

• bersybersy Member
    edited November 2015

Shared-hosting is OK, but just to let you know that any VPN/proxy etc services are illegal out there, so none of reliable providers allow it.

+1 xHostFire, speaking of that they have BF 50% OFF ;)

deployvm said: Kazakhstan - Jelastic Cloud (https://jelastic.com/) has some interesting partners. You should take a look there.

Do you mean mycloud.by Jelastic?

Thanked by 1deployvm

bersy said: Do you mean mycloud.by Jelastic Cloud?

Sure. Also dnr.kz/ps.kz.

MyCloud.By is reliable, as it's managed by DataHata.

• @eugene_ said:

Hosting in Kazakhstan is mostly expensive and unprofessional.

Most IT professionals have emigrated from Kazakhstan. Nginx creator was born in Kazakhstan, Yandex co-founders and a lot of people.

Old oversold hardware, rude support. Police can access your server anytime, hosters can browser your files - no ethics at all. Government allows to host .kz domains only on the territory of Kazakhstan - the main reason of that.

The impact of falling oil prices, expo 2017 and economic troubles in China resulted in a deep economic crisis in Kazakhstan, much worse than in Russia. So prices will be higher next year.

Currently, Kazakhstan is not the best place to live in. I run business in Dubai.

• Well, I was born in Kazakhstan (currently living in Russia).

My piece of advice is: unless you are aimed at doing business aimed at the country in question, it makes little sense looking for hosting in there. I will not repeat @Gulf 's comments, just confirm that you should have solid reasons to use local hosting.

Personally, I prefer keeping my own resources elsewhere.

• bersy said: they have BF 50% OFF ;)

WHere? ;D

edited November 2015

@Frecyboy said:
    WHere? ;D

My colleague posted an ad on WHT earlier. Please use BLACKFRIDAY2015 as coupon (only for cloud hosting)

Thanked by 1Frecyboy
  • ToggledNSToggledNS Member
    edited November 2015

If you're interested in Kazakhstan, I can provide you with a server, but at a yearly rate of US$150.00

• Gulf said: Police can access your server anytime, hosters can browser your files - no ethics at all.

Pretty much like the US

• GulfGulf Member
    edited November 2015

@doughmanes said:
    Pretty much like the US

Al least, NSA is trying to protect against terrorism. In contrast, if your user publishes something about the president of kz or his family, your server will be suspended immediately and you will be arrested.

@Gulf said:
    kz or his family, your server will be suspended immediately and you will be arrested.

This could be a similar issue on Russian networks, such as contracting with Rostelecom or Transtelecom directly. The state has significant ownerships of these ISPs. Political criticism of the government can cause tensions between parties, IP blocked and a private investigation launched.

List of blocked sites in Russia - https://antizapret.info/

It would be in the same policy in Belarus. Hosting politics content in these locations is controversial. Most certainly any information about the government without official licenses are NOT allowed.

Thanked by 1Gulf
  • @deployvm said:

I faced with it a year ago. My client had a shared hosting from monstermegs, a neighbour was selling ganja and roskomnadzor blocked a whole server by the IP! We lost Russian visitors and had to move to another host.

So if you are doing business with Russia or C.I.S, it is better to have a dedicated ip.

In my opinion, leaseweb and hetzner would be the best locations for Kazakhstan visitors, superb connectivity and very low pings.

I think it is easier for Russian telecoms to redirect or drop traffic to IPs instead of filtering sites by URL. However, I'm sure both methods are implemented already.

Roskomnadzor and the Ministry are very sensitive to foreign sites promoting substances.

Germany is a major traffic exchange point, so this accounts for optimal latency.

• I've just calculated a price for a Kazakhstan dedicated server (very similar to Hostgator, the same cpu and ram)

• Intel XEON E3-1260L
    • 8GB DDR-3
    • 2 x 500Gb (RAID-1)

This one costs 113$, not bad at all if you'll pay in dollars (heh, the average salary of sys admin in kz is 380$ without taxes).

For example, in Dubai servers are much more expensive.
    I rent some servers in the downtown DC and the latest one costs 500$+ for a very basic config.

• @deployvm said:
    I think it is easier for Russian telecoms to redirect or drop traffic to IPs instead of filtering sites by URL. However, I'm sure both methods are implemented already.

If block sites just by redirecting them to a page, simply use HTTPS can bypass this...

Drop traffic to IPs - GFW loves doing this, nearly all Dropbox's IPs are nulled in China.

• @XIAOSpider97 said:
    If block sites just by redirecting them to a page, simply use HTTPS can bypass this...

If HTTPS is used, site is blocked by redirecting traffic to corresponding IP.

• Well, it seems hosting in KZ is much too difficult.

Traffic in Dubai is much too expensive, which is like other hosts in the Middle East.

• eugene_ said: Well, it seems hosting in KZ is much too difficult.

Not 'difficult' by any means - you can just order a VPS on space.kz/idhost.kz (which is KZ telecom) or others, even paid by Paypal...

It just makes not much sense, traffic goes to Russia international (mainly) anyway...

• William said: KZ telecom

Wasn't KZtelecom one of the rare places where it was possible to host copyrighted material with no problem? (maybe misunderstood what I did read). If so that could make some sense for some people I guess. (Not me though, I'd prefer good connectivity in EU)