Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kernel Issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kernel Issue

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited December 2012 in Help

Hi

A clients server has been rebooted, but for some reason it's not booted into the OpenVZ kernel. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• JacobJacob Member
    edited December 2012

/etc/grub.conf

every error you encounter does not require a thread.

• there's a problem with the kernel
    that's my idea

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
    default=0
    timeout=5
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    hiddenmenu
    title CentOS (2.6.32-279.14.1.el6.x86_64)
            root (hd0,0)
            kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-279.14.1.el6.x86_64 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg-root $
            initrd /initramfs-2.6.32-279.14.1.el6.x86_64.img
    title OpenVZ (2.6.32-042stab068.8)
            root (hd0,0)
            kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-042stab068.8 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg-root rd_NO_L$
            initrd /initramfs-2.6.32-042stab068.8.img
    title CentOS (2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64)
            root (hd0,0)
            kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg-root rd_NO$
            initrd /initramfs-2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64.img

That's my grub.conf file.

• default is 0, should be 1.

@William said: default is 0, should be 1.

ty :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

lol - you provide management on your VPSs and yet you don't even know how to use Google which could tell you the answer in under a minute.

• Really?

@Infinity said: lol - you provide management on your VPSs and yet you don't even know how to use Google which could tell you the answer in under a minute.

Basically what @Infinity said...

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Guys, relax...

Even sometimes I face some problems, even if I know the answer, I could just miss it.

Trying to sort everything out quickly, although it is efficient, it is pretty stressful.

regards

@Infinity said: lol - you provide management on your VPSs and yet you don't even know how to use Google which could tell you the answer in under a minute.

I do, as I found that. But I wasn't sure if it would work because the person that asked it didn't work for.

@rsk said: Trying to sort everything out quickly, although it is efficient, it is pretty stressful.

+1..

• Maybe if everyone keep nasty things such as the truth to themselves, the world will be a much better place

• JacobJacob Member
    edited December 2012

No, then it would be a dishonest world. That would be sinful...

@GIANT_CRAB said: Maybe if everyone keep nasty things such as the truth to themselves, the world will be a much better place

• @Jacob said: No, then it would be a dishonest world. That would be sinful...

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@dominicl said: I do, as I found that. But I wasn't sure if it would work because the person that asked it didn't work for.

So basically your VPS management consists of you opening a thread on LET everytime you get an "issue" that pops up?

• Feel sorry for your clients.

• Basic Management - US & UK

+1 for honesty.

• @Kris said: Basic Management - US & UK

Very basic.

If you cant diagnose a simple problem like the order of your grub file, what the hell are you doing in this industry.

• jhjh Member

I think @Infinity put it best. This is really simple stuff...

• Lots of hand holding.....
    Please provide @William with this months fees from your 'client' since he is taking care of your customer for you.

• Well, everyone has to start from somewhere but selling something you cannot provide is plain scam. Maybe he has someone else managing this for his "company".

• @jhadley said: I think @Infinity put it best. This is really simple stuff...

I doubt it was even a client, it was probably his own machine that he rebooted after running 'yum upgrade'

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited December 2012

@apollo15 said: Well, everyone has to start from somewhere but selling something you cannot provide is plain scam. Maybe he has someone else managing this for his "company".

If you know his history here you will know that he in fact does not have anyone running this for him, and if he did he wouldn't have to ask this question.

edited December 2012

@Corey said: I doubt it was even a client, it was probably his own machine that he rebooted after running 'yum upgrade'

It was a client, yeah. I was confirming something rather than asking something. I did look it up but the person changed the default 0 to 1 and it didn't work for them so I was checking. I didn't want to screw something up.

@Corey said: If you know his history here you will know that he in fact does not have anyone running this for him, and if he did he wouldn't have to ask this question.

Just me at the moment.

• @dominicl said: @Corey said: I doubt it was even a client, it was probably his own machine that he rebooted after running 'yum upgrade'

It was a client, yeah. I was confirming something rather than asking something. I did look it up but the person changed the default 0 to 1 and it didn't work for them so I was checking. I didn't want to screw something up.

@Corey said: If you know his history here you will know that he in fact does not have anyone running this for him, and if he did he wouldn't have to ask this question.

Just me at the moment.

Maybe you should read up on grub.conf and figure out what it actually does when you change that option and you wouldn't be so scared to change an option. You don't even have to change that option, there are other ways of getting your openvz kernel to boot with grub.conf.

On the openvz wiki the instructions tell you to make sure you boot into the openvz kernel by checking grub.conf etc....... it's obvious you just let solusvm install everything for you and you don't have a clue what's going on.

This post aggravates the heck out of me.

Maybe I did make a mistake then,

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Maybe change the branding to rtfmVM.com as the current one is obviously miss-selling.

• What do you expect from one who sets up host over night and sells em less than 1 month?

• Sometimes when there are problems it can be hard to step back and have a proper perspetive on it. Even posting problems sometimes leads me to the answers (I then promptly update the thread with the solution just in case someone searches the same problem)

• I can understand if customers get upset by this post, but as a provider you should stay away from bashing other providers. Completely unprofessional.

• Hi,

Welcome to the LowEndSupport Helpdesk!