Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FreeBSD is like Debian or Cent OS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FreeBSD is like Debian or Cent OS?

rahulksrahulks Member
edited December 2012 in General

same cmds?

Comments

• No.

• Neither. It's an entirely different operating system. Comparing it to Debian or CentOS would be like comparing Mac OS X to Debian or CentOS. Some of the basic commands like "ls", "cd" and the like will be the same, but many others are different.

• Can't even compare

• ok so the programs which run on cent os will not run in it?

• @rahulks said: ok so the programs which run on cent os will not run in it?

If you can compile them or if they're in ports, they should.. I think.

• Will nohup command work?

• @rahulks said: Will nohup command work?

Yes.

• and the program work on ports like 7777

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I wouldn't say they're not comparable. They're all unix based operating systems. The kernel is the most obvious difference. Personally I prefer the bsd kernel and I really thought it was more deserving of mainstream use than Linux, but here we are. Unix nerds typically often have a strong opinion about which is better, but at the end of the day they're both whatever you make them to be.

• Its still very close to Linux. I.e. much closer than a Win to OSX for example. It's POSIX compatible and most commandline tools are the same. Yes, it is still a different OS and there are much more differences not like with various linux distros. But if u r familiar with Linux, you will be able to learn fbsd quickly.

If you would ask which linux distro it is more closely, I'd say Gentoo Linux due to source based package management systems. But well the Gentoo's emerge (package manager) was inspired by FreeBSD ports system.

• FreeBSD isn't even Linux.

• It's really simple:

FreeBSD ==> Unix
    Debian & CentOS ==> Linux or GNU/Linux

• @Nevil they all are UNIX-like. I.e. Linux are unix too.
    FreeBSD ==> BSD UNIX.

• Being POSIX-Compliant means an average Linux guy could pick it up easily.

• rahulksrahulks Member
    edited December 2012
  • Pretty comparable. I used to only use FreeBSD, and the jump to Linux was pretty simple. I do prefer FreeBSD, I like the way the file system is laid out and how rc.d is (So much better, even the Arch team thinks so :P). It's pretty easy to swap between them. No more difficult than going from Debian -> RHEL or vice versa, once you're familiar w/ the package manager and install all the basic utilities you're comfortable with, it's cake!

• I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

• @lzp said: I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Richard?

• @lzp said: stupid copypasta

Not really, I'm rather sure the OP was referring to Linux itself, in terms of how it compared against *BSD.

• @rahulks thats not an error. You are trying to run a Linux binary on a FreeBSD. Like already said that is different OS and needs different binaries. Either recompile your software on FreeBSD or install linux/elf layer (link posted by Nevil helps).

@ShardHost lmao )

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@ShardHost said: Richard?

Beat me to it.

• The only true way to tell if he's RMS or not is to expose him to a spider plant and see how he reacts