Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pi Zero - $5 Computer - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pi Zero - $5 Computer

Comments

• $5 on the board, couple bucks for shipping, usb ethernet adapter, mini HDMI to regular HDMI adapter. Still not that bad. Though I think I rather have the Pi2, I have two Pi 1 Bs. One is a site to site VPN so my dedicated servers can run VMs on my local network, and the other is a IPv6 gateway using Hurrican Electric. I do like have full blown servers at home for other things though, but running specific things like that it is nice to have it on a small little machine that doesn't need to be touched.

• Hassan said: attempt to run cPanel.

cPanel does not presently support ARM. Although, that'd be awesome if it could.

Thanked by 1Hassan
  • So people who wanted to get into programming were prevented by the $20 entry barrier of previous Pi models, and are now able to get into this for $5?

This is totally not a way to get an additional $5 out of people who absolutely have to have the latest and smallest Pi for their collection.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @GM2015 said:
    i can't find any real use for it right now so I don't buy it.

Build it and they will come!

• @singsing on the other hand, for a school class of 30 kids, you've just saved $450. Some of which you will admittedly still have to spend on adapters.

Thanked by 2deadbeef netomx
  • tehdan said: @singsing on the other hand, for a school class of 30 kids, you've just saved $450. Some of which you will admittedly still have to spend on adapters.

Those are gonna be some disappointed kids when they find out the next school down the road uses Model B+ Pis.

• I got one off adafruit for 30$ whihc comes with needed adapters. not bad.

• Aren't they all "out of stock" anyway?

• @andreblue said:
    I got one off adafruit for 30$ whihc comes with needed adapters. not bad.

And why would you pay $30 for a Zero if you can get Model A+ for $25?

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@Rallias said:
    cPanel does not presently support ARM. Although, that'd be awesome if it could.

Wow... forgot about that. Can run Interworx though: http://www.interworx.com/community/interworx-clustering-on-raspberry-pis/

• That would be cool for those money :)

• @singsing said:
    Those are gonna be some disappointed kids when they find out the next school down the road uses Model B+ Pis.

Perhaps, or maybe there are people in the world who would be grateful for one of these to play with.

The fact you can't imagine a place for a smaller, cheaper device (besides -shock horror- raising money for a charity) is a perfect demonstration of why we need to get more kids interested in STEM subjects.

Even today I think the idea of stuffing one of these boards in an autonomous vehical I made sounds pretty fun, and even today the chances of me destroying it in the process is pretty high. So with only slightly more imagination than you I've found an interesting way in which a school could improve their technology classes for very little money - for $5 who cares if the kid blows it up?

Anyway, if it makes you feel any better - when the guy from the Raspberry Pi foundation came round, put a gun to my head and ordered me to buy one I was able to over-power him and steal the gun. I then used your comments in this thread as a core point in my argument which eventually convinced him to give up his life of designing educational tools for a charity and get into something less lucrative like digging wells in drought stricken lands using only his bare hands.

Still think some buffering on the GPIO pins would be a nice idea.

• tehdan said: So with only slightly more imagination than you I've found an interesting way in which a school could improve their technology classes

No, you haven't. You don't learn anything by stuffing a $5 Pi board into an autonomous vehicle someone else made, other than that smaller objects have a better chance of fitting in an autonomous vehicle that someone else made.

• andreblueandreblue Member
    edited November 2015

@elwebmaster said:
    And why would you pay $30 for a Zero if you can get Model A+ for $25?

Read the rest of the message and you will see why it was more..... (29.95$)
    Here is the link: http://www.adafruit.com/products/2817
    -Power Plug
    -USB OTG Cable
    -HDMI Adapter
    -Headers
    -SD Card

The price separately is 30.25

• tehdantehdan Member
    edited November 2015

@singsing Seriously? You're going to argue by changing what I said?

@tehdan said: I think the idea of stuffing one of these boards in an autonomous vehical I made sounds pretty fun

• tehdan said: Seriously? You're going to argue by changing what I said?

Where in the world are high-school kids designing and building autonomous vehicles? They're assembling them from parts, according to provided instructions.

• tehdantehdan Member
    edited November 2015

That's exactly my point. Do you know why? Because nobody wants them plugging $30 computers in and blowing them up. I'd let a 6 year old solder motors directly to the GPIOs of a $5 one.

(If you'd been given the opportunity to do some real technology education at school - perhaps because of the existence of a $5 computer - you'd know why this is sub-optimal design)

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • tehdan said: I'd let a 6 year old solder motors directly to the GPIOs of a $5 one.

Wow, such education, such learning!

My point is all these Pi projects follow a route where kid selects the project, downloads the code onto the Pi computer, assembles the circuit (with solding if necessary), and watches it do whatever it's supposed to do. It's educationally worthless, whether the Pi costs $5 or $30.

• @singsing said:
    It's educationally worthless

We know you're an expert in being worthless, but c'mon, you are going to tell us what's education now? :D

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@singsing said:
    My point is all these Pi projects follow a route where kid selects the project, downloads the code onto the Pi computer, assembles the circuit (with solding if necessary), and watches it do whatever it's supposed to do. It's educationally worthless, whether the Pi costs $5 or $30.

Man, where did you studied? I have seen good projects on young people here in Mexico, they don't "follow a route".

• netomx said: Man, where did you studied? I have seen good projects on young people here in Mexico, they don't "follow a route".

Pretty sure those would be the outliers rather than the vast majority.

• @singsing I think you've pretty much self-destructed at this point. These things just aren't aimed at people like you (eg who think IPv6 is a conspiracy to overload the already extensive network engineering demands on your home LAN), but obviously feel free to rant if you wish.

To get back to your original point, If you (or anyone) was forced at gun point to buy a pi zero, pm me the receipt and I'll reimburse you personally.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • tehdan said: If you (or anyone) was forced at gun point to buy a pi zero, pm me the receipt and I'll reimburse you personally.

Any email to send the receipt? The PM system won't accept any attachment...

• tehdan said: (eg who think IPv6 is a conspiracy to overload the already extensive network engineering demands on your home LAN)

Well, just when I finally finished learning how to set up IPv4 properly, IPv6 comes out. Coincidence?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • sounds like perfect timing to me :)

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited November 2015

These should come in six-packs with slightly higher shipping charge .

Me brain is wet.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I don't understand what to do with a raspberry pi. I don't see them as useful.

• @sterile said:
    I don't understand what to do with a raspberry pi. I don't see them as useful.

They can work as super cheap and simple security systems. If you use a B+ as an exemple, you can hook at least a couple cams to it, thru a powered USB hub(Dont do it without else it may not work right). You can use the GPIO to hook in to sensors for doors and windows or even motion systems. You can set up a small media server with it, it also allows you to control a 3D printer, and much much more! I plan on making a small security system myself soon with it.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @andreblue said:
    They can work as super cheap and simple security systems. If you use a B+ as an exemple, you can hook at least a couple cams to it, thru a powered USB hub(Dont do it without else it may not work right). You can use the GPIO to hook in to sensors for doors and windows or even motion systems. You can set up a small media server with it, it also allows you to control a 3D printer, and much much more! I plan on making a small security system myself soon with it.

You can also hook it to a USB tuner and do life mpeg2 to H264 video transcoding, or you can use it as a Asterisk server to handle your VoIP calls, or you can put them in a cluster as NodeJS application servers, or you can use it as a VPN/iodine server to access your home network from anywhere, or you can add a WiFi dongle to it which supports repeater mode and a battery then use it as a portable router to give access to all your devices to your home network anywhere you go, you can plug 3G stick to it and use it as a SMS gateway.

• @elwebmaster said:
    You can also hook it to a USB tuner and do life mpeg2 to H264 video transcoding, or you can use it as a Asterisk server to handle your VoIP calls, or you can put them in a cluster as NodeJS application servers, or you can use it as a VPN/iodine server to access your home network from anywhere, or you can add a WiFi dongle to it which supports repeater mode and a battery then use it as a portable router to give access to all your devices to your home network anywhere you go, you can plug 3G stick to it and use it as a SMS gateway.

They can also act as a VPN server/relay to your home network whilst serving your stuff to your TV, meanwhile downloading your latest Linux distro whilst playing music to your speakers. And your utility bill doesn't even recognise it.